Zuiderdam.. horrific food. March 12, 2005

Pereiras

I rarely post on these boards except to ask a specific question. I have never sailed on HAL so do not have a dog in this hunt ( RCCL-5x and soon to be on X for 1st time ).

I visit for information and for entertainment. I find the HAL boards to be quite lively and entertaining with some very intelligent people regularly posting.

This thread goes to the top of the list. You are unflappable. I think I would enjoy meeting you on a cruise some day.

Regards,

So, jc, are you saying you don't like "Olive Garden".......?:D

Actually, I really do like Olive Garden. I find their chicken marsala with the fried potatoes with peppers to be really yummy. My wife loves the chicken vina bianca she has to keep in her size 4 dresses. I eat there a whole lot more often than Olive's! Unfortunately!:D ;)

jc

Heather, are you trying to tell us that OL sucks??? Now, now......

Up until about 3 years ago, OL was just about a monthly routine. I"m not that crazy about the Italian stuff, but DW enjoys it. She rarely make it at home knowing my lack of enthusiam for it. I have been known to eat a pizza appetizer while she has her entree. Anyway, after a few soggy salads, watery sauces, greasy bread sticks, etc., switched to Carabbas.

The last few visits at Carabbas were somewhat disappointing. More watery sauces, tasteless Italian Sausage, mediocre pizza, etc., but with somewhat higher prices and more noise.

We have tried a variety of local Italian establishments, but none were worth a return visit.. DW says Olive Garden for next Italian Night, by default....If I knew of a great local Italian restaurant would surely patronize it....

Happy cruising......

that is the problem with chain restaurants. The one in our town has gone from great to average to good to average to very good in the case of the nearby Olive Garden. Several years ago we discovered Macoroni Grill. I thought it was wonderful and loved it. The last two times I have eaten at one (not the same one either) it was worse than bad it was awful. Another good Chain is Zio's so far I haven't had a bad experience, but its high points are below those of Olive Garden and Macoroni Grill. I haven't tried a Carrabbas although I saw one recently somewhere on one of my travels. In other words as in cruising what is good today can be awful tommorrow, and vice versa. So when anyone tells you HAL has the best food, or RCI is great, take it with a grain of salt. They both have the potential to be great, but it depends on some many variables that in the end there is no single answer and debating it til the end of the world really won't make it so.

jc

Thank you. I will score you average for food? I am keeping an informal survey.

Here are the categories: Exc, VG, Avg. Bad VB?

Yeah, dining room Avg. for dinner, though I have to say the two lunches we ate in the dining room were VG. Nothing Bad that we found. :O)

JDee, we have a great Italian restaurant in Lake Worth, but that's a little out of your way:D .

jc, I never heard of Olives ... when you said "Olives", I thought you meant Olive Garden. I've only been there for lunch and loved it, but I've never been to Carrabas. Can't get into Macaroni Grill even if we tried (are they giving it away there?).

We don't have Zio's here.

Anyway, after a few soggy salads, watery sauces, greasy bread sticks, etc., switched to Carabbas.

The last few visits at Carabbas were somewhat disappointing. More watery sauces, tasteless Italian Sausage, mediocre pizza, etc., but with somewhat higher prices and more noise.

Happy cruising......

Oh, that's too bad! Our Carrabas is fantastic! It's my favorite - in fact I am contemplating having DH take me there tonite!

Our kids love Olive Garden, so whenever they can both agree - the place works for me, though this is not my favorite - I do like their family style salad and the Itailian Margarita is pretty darn tasty!

Can't get into Macaroni Grill even if we tried (are they giving it away there?).

You are not missing a thing, imo! It used to be super popular here - we went twice and both times were "horrific" :eek: Now, there is no wait, no lines - nothing! Give me Carrabas any day!

OK, OK I promise I will try Carrabas next time I see one, even if I have a reservation for Todd English's Olives! :D :p

Heather, here is his website. The food and the way he presents it is fabulous. My wife was unhappy when I drug her to it in NY last month, until she finished her appetizer and she was gushing about how it was probably the best restaurant she had ever been to. Her memory though is pretty short!:D

http://toddenglish.com/

The best restaurant or at least the best meal I have ever had was Capo D' Orso in Maiori Italy.

www.capodorso.org

Of course, the problem with food and judging it from an objective point of view, the memory of the event is clouded by so many non food related things.

Food, what is more central to most of our lives?:cool:

jc

Appreciate reading your posting even if you were a bit 'harsh' by using the word 'horrific' to describe the food because, as was stated, u only ate once or maybe twice in the dining room and therefore aren't able to speak to the other meals and label HALs food as 'horrific'!..That said, I agree that Lobsters certainly shldn't be 'overdone' - they aren't difficult to cook (I used to be a caterer) but timing is important. Perhaps that chef shld be replaced - it should not happen with a professional - this was expensive and a waste 'cause lots of folks likely didn't eat them plus not good for HALs reputation either..Occas. u will get something 'over or underdone' - simple - request change - I have in all my cruises never failed to have a request honored to my satisfaction esp on HAL. Cruiselines would quickly go out of business if they didn't - correct? My wish is Happy Cruisin' for all (as if it could be anything else - Heh Heh)!!

OK, OK I promise I will try Carrabas next time I see one, even if I have a reservation for Todd English's Olives! :D :p

Heather, here is his website. The food and the way he presents it is fabulous. My wife was unhappy when I drug her to it in NY last month, until she finished her appetizer and she was gushing about how it was probably the best restaurant she had ever been to. Her memory though is pretty short!:D

http://toddenglish.com/

The best restaurant or at least the best meal I have ever had was Capo D' Orso in Maiori Italy.

www.capodorso.org

Of course, the problem with food and judging it from an objective point of view, the memory of the event is clouded by so many non food related things.

Food, what is more central to most of our lives?:cool:

jc

Now I understand. I didn't realize you were talking "classy". It's Todd English! So obviously it's good. I'll check the sites in a minute.

Laura, I also love the breadsticks at Olive Garden. Yummy.

Oceanwench, I've been meaning to try Bonefish Grill! Thanks for mentioning! We have a wonderful restaurant in Lake Worth called N.Y. Pizza Style and it is amazing. People flock from miles. My mouth waters just thinking about the seafood w/linguini. It has clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops in a white or red sauce. So so good.

Thank you so much for posting here. It was quite the storm, wasn't it? It would be an honour (or honor as spelled south of the border) to meet you on a cruise.. just tell me where...and when! Please let me know what your feedback was on the RCCL? Which X boat are you going on?

Re unflappable.. I'm not sure about that entirely..I do my best. Never helps to get upset.. particularly when you put something in writing. Learned a lot from an old boss in this regard.

Thank you so much for your kind note though..

I rarely post on these boards except to ask a specific question. I have never sailed on HAL so do not have a dog in this hunt ( RCCL-5x and soon to be on X for 1st time ).

I visit for information and for entertainment. I find the HAL boards to be quite lively and entertaining with some very intelligent people regularly posting.

This thread goes to the top of the list. You are unflappable. I think I would enjoy meeting you on a cruise some day.

Regards,

Nice to still have you here. Hope you got my note above with coordial greetings in it. By the way, you look great in your picture!

Yes, isn't it amazing the way that happened? I was just thinking the same thing. There's just no telling where a thread will lead, is there?:)

Nice to still have you here. Hope you got my note above with coordial greetings in it. By the way, you look great in your picture!

I'm everywhere ... you couldn't ditch me if you tried;) . Thanks for the compliment ... it's a good picture of me. How dumb would I be to post a bad one???11

I'm everywhere ... you couldn't ditch me if you tried;) . Thanks for the compliment ... it's a good picture of me. How dumb would I be to post a bad one???11

O Heather, you know you have never taken a bad picture! ;)

jc

Actually, I really do like Olive Garden. I find their chicken marsala with the fried potatoes with peppers to be really yummy.

jc

Funny you mention that. I was in Salt Lake City last week and found an Olive Garden next to my hotel. Hadn't been in one in a dozen years, but tried the Chicken Marsala and it wasn'ty bad. The potatoes & peppers seemed to be frshly done, also. Altogether quite nice.

I used to like Carrabba's but DW claimed their stull was too oily. Fortunately here in the Valley of Heart's Delight there are any number of good Italian grills. Should you find yourself in Sunnyvale (or Mountain View), Il Postale and Pezzella's Villa Napoli are both outstanding. THere's also a California Itallian Grill chain called Pasta Pomodoro that's good for lunch or a light dinner...

Why did I wait so long to leave Texas? :rolleyes:

Dave! The Valley of Heart's Delight! Sounds scrumptious! I just love potatoes and peppers ... I make them with brussel sprout which if you hate you would love. I use a ton of garlic and some olive oil with the whole thing and it's delicious.

There's nothing more delicious than a well prepared Italian meal. My personal favorite is Marsala or even the Piccata. Yum yum yum.

Dave, what is "stull"?

Hi, Dave,

If you're ever in the Richmond area, there's a great N. Italian place tucked into the Richmond marina. It's called Salute', and we loved it. Great harborside location, too.

Cheers,

Friday

Is that Richmond as in "we're so embarassed to have Berkeley next door" or as in "The South Will Rise Again!" 'cause I lived in the latter for 5 years and Olive Garden was the closest thing to an Italian restaurant they had! :rolleyes:

Now Dave, did you forget "Da Hill"? If you're going to send people to good Italian restaurants you have to mention some of those in R.I. :)

Some of the ones you remember are still here!

Why did I wait so long to leave Texas? :rolleyes:

After serving 2 years in Italy and growing up in California near where Dave is I think my lucky stars Im in texas now, better mexican food , better steaks , and yes better Italian food. Of couse thats just IMHO. Pereiras thank you for your honest opinion of your food on HAL. If more people like you would post there true feelings of there cruise experience and didnt just chalk it up as " just a minor mishap let it roll off your shoulders" Hal might get the message. I make the analogy of tipping , you will have people on here who say tip over the amount know matter how well your service is, this does not make sense to me as they wil fill no need to go above and beyond when they get extra tips for doing little. just my 2 cents. By the way I have been lurking for a long time so go ahead and trash me for my limited post.

I have always found that the crew members of HAL will always go above and beyond to be sure your cruise meets your expectations whether they get tipped or not. In the Philippines and Indonesia, its an honor to give good service and it shows with their gracious and sincere service to you.

Archived