Walking on the jogging/running track question

Daphne'sMom

Ok, I did search old threads and found conflicting answers. I like to walk off a little bit of the excess food while cruising. I typically walk on the inside lane counter clockwise on cruise ships. Is this the right direction or lane? If my husband joins me, we try to make sure we are not blocking the track for those who are running - we aren't large people. Does it vary from ship to ship ~ or are we ticking off the more hard core exercisers? It seems that was the direction of the others also out walking.

Thanks in advance for your help.:D

Ok' date=' I did search old threads and found conflicting answers. I like to walk off a little bit of the excess food while cruising. I typically walk on the inside lane counter clockwise on cruise ships. If my husband joins me, we try to make sure we are not blocking the track for those who are running - we aren't large people. Does it vary from ship to ship ~ or are we ticking off the more hard core exercisers? It seems that was the direction of the others also out walking.

Thanks in advance for your help.:D[/quote']

We look to see which way the runners are running (normally counterclock wise) and we walk the opposite direction so we see them comming and step to the side. We always give the runners all the room they want.

i am not sure the protocol on the ships as it has been a while since I've run onboard (I do remember it was super windy in one direction...LOL)....but in my extensive experience running laps during the winter....walkers usually stay to the ouside and runners pass "on your left" (and should say that as they come up -- and you and hubby should be able to sense if a really fast runner is coming back around -- the track isn't THAT big -- and scootch a bit if necessary).

As for the clockwise v. counterclockwise, there may be a sign posted for which way to go. (Some rotate this by day) Otherwise, my general rule has always been A. if you are the only ones, start whichever way you prefer and B. if there is someone already running or walking, go the same direction.

I was on the Splendor and trying to run on the track...if you are a runner, you will get very frustrated, because people would walk side by side, and I don't mean two, but sometime three and four and it block the whole track. You will lose your mementos. I gave up and hit the gym and use the tread mill instead. Plus there are a lot of lounge chairs around the track area.

Gym only open from 6am to 10pm.

I was on the Splendor and trying to run on the track...if you are a runner, you will get very frustrated, because people would walk side by side, and I don't mean two, but sometime three and four and it block the whole track. You will lose your mementos. I gave up and hit the gym and use the tread mill instead. Plus there are a lot of lounge chairs around the track area.

Gym only open from 6am to 10pm.

We just got off the Splendor yesterday and DH had the same experience as you. He gave up and started going to the gym as well.

Standard practice is counter clockwise but some runners will reverse directions every other mile on short tracks so as to not strain muscles with such an inverted curve.

I was training for a marathon and I too would get frustrated with the folks walking three and four abreast but after three or four laps of being nice I simply started calling out coming through instead of to your left. They got the hint and gave way.

One of the fitness instructors saw me and gave me a copy of his 5 mile route around the ship and I started following it on day 4, MUCH better!

Ok' date=' I did search old threads and found conflicting answers. I like to walk off a little bit of the excess food while cruising. I typically walk on the inside lane counter clockwise on cruise ships. Is this the right direction or lane? If my husband joins me, we try to make sure we are not blocking the track for those who are running - we aren't large people. Does it vary from ship to ship ~ or are we ticking off the more hard core exercisers? It seems that was the direction of the others also out walking.

Thanks in advance for your help.:D[/quote']

Counterclockwise, stay outside, pass inside.

Stay off the track if you just want to walk and chit chat.....it is always counter clockwise...........

AMEN... Many people walk on deck 10 (sun deck). After 10 am it's better to use the walking track. As far as walking clockwise for the runners convience, they should run oppsite the walkers for safety.

On the Spirit class ships, or at least the Spirit itself, there is also a designated track/loop around the ship. There's a plaque on the bulkhead that says how many loops around the deck to equal one mile, I think 3 laps. Much better than the "official" jogging track and the constant dodging and turning left.

Much like NASCAR at a slower speed and without the yellow flags.

If you are running, then you are clearly in better shape than I so go around me. My gym has an inside track and you have the roadrunners that are chasing the coyote there also. Take it outside. I am not impressed. Those people that are tip top shape and go outside and get hit by a bus or have an aneurism, it's over rated. Of course this is just my diluted opinion. I use the ships track because there are less kids around to dodge. 20 minutes or so and I'll be out of your way. We'll go hang up our matching track suits and hit the buffet.:D

Just got off the Glory yesterday. I prefer the tread mill over the track because of many of the reasons stated in the previous posts. The track had painted arrows indicating a counter-clockwise direction of travel for walkers/runners.

Whenever possible, I will run on land when in port. There is no better way to see the local landscape then by running it. I ran about 4 miles in St. John, Canada, which by the way, has a significant number of hills.

On the splendor, if you want to walk, why not just go down to the main lobby and step outside, there is a deck out there that is always wide open to use, and is long. I like going there because I don't have all the traffic, and if I want to stop and chat or look for dolphins, or whatever, there is nobody running over me.

Archived