Waterproof Camera recommendation

beach410

Nikon has a sad history of really being less than class leading or even middle of the pack with their P&S. Don't get me wrong I shoot Nikon DSLR ( which is best in class :D ) Had a nikon P&S, will never buy another one. Canon, Sony, Panasonic as brands seem to be better.

We bought Kodak Playsport cameras for each of us before a trip to the keys. Absolutely LOVED them. took awesome underwater pics, as well as HD video, filmed stingrays swimming right below us! Super simple to transfer. We also bought floating wrist straps so we would never lose them. For the price we were totally happy.

We purchased the Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera two weeks ago and LOVE IT. Have had it in the pool taking underwater photos and videos and they have been great pictures. Great pictures on land too!

We got ours from Amazon for 64.00 shipped.

Takes AA batteries and came with a float strap.

Canon Powershot D10. We bought ours 3 years ago and I love, love, love this camera. We use it for all of our photography whether it is on land or in the water.

Same here....it rocks and I highly recommend it for underwater shots

Hi, my everyday camera went missing, so I thought I would replace it with a waterproof/underwater one. I have noticed that many of these take good quality pictures on land as well. I tried doing a search but didnt find anything.

If you have one that fits this bill, can you please recommend it?

Canon D10 or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, The Panasonic is thinner less and less bulky

Im a bit of a camera buff and have done a ton of research on this. The Panasonic Lumix is always a top contendor for image quality both in and out of the water. Its reasonably priced too.

Just to add to this, Unfortunately you take a hit on features and usually image quality when you compare waterproof cameras to traditional point and shoots. You are paying more for a studier build on a waterproof camera, and your only going to probably get about 3X optical zoom. Still, its not a bad way to go espically if you spend alot of time outdoors. :)

In June, I bought the new Fuji FinePix XP20.

Here are the particulars:

Features 1/2.3 inch CCD with primary color filter

2.7 inch TFT color LCD monitor

Tracking auto focus

Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and freezeproof

Fujinon 5x optical zoom lens, F3.9 (Wide) - F4.9 (Telephoto)

Dual image stabilization

Approx. 10MB internal memory

Digital zoom approx. 6.8x (up to 34x when combined with optical zoom)

HD movie 720p with sound

One touch underwater movie recording

6 scene SR auto

Motion Panorama mode with auto stitch

USB 2.0 High-speed

Video output NTSC / PAL selectable

Can I just say how GREAT this camera is. I searched for a couple weeks. Since I have bought it and several friends have seen/used mine (we all went to Disney's water park, Blizzard Beach), they have all went out and bought one.

I think I paid around $287 for it.

We bought Kodak Playsport cameras for each of us before a trip to the keys. Absolutely LOVED them. took awesome underwater pics, as well as HD video, filmed stingrays swimming right below us! Super simple to transfer. We also bought floating wrist straps so we would never lose them. For the price we were totally happy.

I'm happy to read the positive comments about this camera. I wanted a waterproof camera solely for the swimming with the stingrays excursion so I bought the Kodak Playsport c123. I've gotten good results with early tests, so if I get some good pics of the stingrays it will be worth the $69 I paid for it. Since I bought it online at Walmart I even get 50 free prints too.

We leave on Dec 11th on the Valor.

Whichever waterproof camera you buy, know this. THEY DON'T FLOAT! I have a waterproof camera with about 350 pictures from the first 4 days of our cruise, lying on the bottom of the Panama Canal! It slipped off my lap very quickly

This is sooo true...I bought the Canon Powershot D10 and I love it! I can attest to it being waterproof as we took it on its first trip down the river. It fell out of the tube :eek: Luckily we were able to find it after about 30 min of sifting through beer cans that careless people had thrown in the river thanks to my wonderful BIL. I have since bought the bright yellow float made by Chums from Amazon!

My gf and I bought the Fujifilm Finepix XP10 before our cruise in May of this year, and we have used it the whole week, plus we have used it almost every weekend at the beach or the pool. For the price, it is very durable, and takes great pics.

Hope this helps.

Drew

Im a bit of a camera buff and have done a ton of research on this. The Panasonic Lumix is always a top contendor for image quality both in and out of the water. Its reasonably priced too.

I was looking at this, it ranked the highest on that website that was posted here. I especially like that it has a quick response time, not sure of the correct tech lingo...lol

Wow, lots of good info, thanks everyone! I was leaning towards the canon because Of good reviews and the powershot was the one that disappeared, then I read the reviews on the panasonic and for the same price I like it. Yet for less I can get a Fuji, which my friend has and likes....decisions decisions

I'm a total camera buff and have to chime in on the Fuji. Sorry it sucks, not in a bad way, you get what you pay for. Its the cheapest and it shows. Now does it take acceptible pictures, yup but between the design and other stuff I'm sure now not as good as the waterproof ones that cost more, here you get something for the extra $$!

Whichever waterproof camera you buy, know this. THEY DON'T FLOAT! I have a waterproof camera with about 350 pictures from the first 4 days of our cruise, lying on the bottom of the Panama Canal! It slipped off my lap very quickly

You can get a floating wrist band for the cameras. I bought one for my Olympus Tough 8110 and it works great...both strap and camera!!!

I'm a total camera buff and have to chime in on the Fuji. Sorry it sucks, not in a bad way, you get what you pay for. Its the cheapest and it shows. Now does it take acceptible pictures, yup but between the design and other stuff I'm sure now not as good as the waterproof ones that cost more, here you get something for the extra $$!

Please explain. Not sure I understood your post.

It 'sucks' and 'you get what you pay for' and 'the cheapest and it shows'

Thanks --

Archived