No Trafalgar Falls until after 3. What's next?

Karysa

Aerial Tram tours says cruise passengers must book with the ship. Will we be OK if we just play it by ear and grab something at the pier? I hate to book with the ship if we can wait and see what the tours are available when we get there. We want to do the falls and maybe the aerial tram. Would love to hear what others have done. We will be on the Emerald January 21st.

Levi mentioned something about this new time about not being able to get into Tralfalger falls, he said it was the government wanting everybody(tourists) to stay in town and spend $$$$ not just head up into the mountains for the day. We got in anyway, after going down to the falls and sitting in the hots springs I went to the snack bar and drank 2 Kabuli's that were ice cold, really nice day on Dominica Levi and Garry are about as first class as it gets. Hope that helps Todd

Todd, Levi said to say hi!

Levi mentioned something about this new time about not being able to get into Tralfalger falls, he said it was the government wanting everybody(tourists) to stay in town and spend $$$$ not just head up into the mountains for the day. We got in anyway, after going down to the falls and sitting in the hots springs I went to the snack bar and drank 2 Kabuli's that were ice cold, really nice day on Dominica Levi and Garry are about as first class as it gets. Hope that helps Todd

Have booked with Levi for April 2012 tour. Please tell me how you liked Levi and the tour you were on.

Have booked with Levi for April 2012 tour. Please tell me how you liked Levi and the tour you were on.

We've done two tours with Levi, the Roseau Valley Best and the Roseau Valley Treasures tours. His tours are among the best we've ever done, and Levi is a great guy. We're headed back on Serenade in 2 weeks and are excited to be touring with Levi again, this time on a brand new tour. In fact, we get to be the very first people to take the new tour! I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

We've done two tours with Levi, the Roseau Valley Best and the Roseau Valley Treasures tours. His tours are among the best we've ever done, and Levi is a great guy. We're headed back on Serenade in 2 weeks and are excited to be touring with Levi again, this time on a brand new tour. In fact, we get to be the very first people to take the new tour! I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

We have booked Roseau Valley treasures Tours. He said that the tour only has 12 passengers. I am assuming that this tour is Moderate.

We have booked Roseau Valley treasures Tours. He said that the tour only has 12 passengers. I am assuming that this tour is Moderate.

Does this tour visit Trafalgar Falls?

If so were you able to get in before 2 or did you have to wait until after 2?

Does this tour visit Trafalgar Falls?

If so were you able to get in before 2 or did you have to wait until after 2?

Yes, this tour visits Trafalgar Falls but not sure the time. I do know that we go to beach first.

Please advise if I should not tour Falls after 2 pm

This is definitely moderate, the most excercise you'll get is the stairs down to and back up from the hot springs (which are awesome!)

Hi...looks like we are on the same ship! WHich tour are you talking about that is the new one? And for first-time visitors, which would you recommend? Are any of the tours good for kids around 6 or 7?

Will be first visit to Dominica for us in (April). Always feel a little uncomfortable in a new port. Try to research new islands I am visiting.

Someone ask if visit to Trafalgar Falls was before 2pm. Would appreciate thoughts on this. Understand from posts I have read, the local tours are not allowed at Trafalgar Falls until the ship tour companies have toured. :confused:

Hi...looks like we are on the same ship! WHich tour are you talking about that is the new one? And for first-time visitors, which would you recommend? Are any of the tours good for kids around 6 or 7?

When will you be on Serenade? We board on Jan 14, first leg of our b2b, our 7th and 8th cruises on her. We're doing Levi's new Pedu Temps Trail hike. It's a longer hike, with a home made island lunch (largely organic, all fresh ingredients, grown and prepared by his uncle) and then a return hike. His estimate of time is about 6 hours. It's probably not appropriate for younger children. The Treasures tour includes both Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls. Titou Gorge is one of the locations used for one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, the one where Johnny Depp escapes from the cannibals. You can swim the gorge. The water is pretty cold, and there is a short distance with a strong current. All visitors are required to wear a flotation belt, and the guides lead every swimmer with a life ring attached to a rope. Most swimmers get pulled at least part of the way, and the one younger child we saw swim the gorge got pulled nearly the entire way and loved it. You also have the opportunity to jump off the same ledge Johnny Depp jumped from. It looks scarier than it actually is. A few of the folks in our group jumped (including me, a middle-aged mom). My husband and adult sons did not. I don't remember the little kid jumping. You also go to Trafalgar Falls. The highlight there is the hot springs, which are wonderful, bit not necessarily great for young children. They're hot enough that adults are recommended not to spend an extended time, just like a hot tub, and usually it is recommended that little kids not use hot tubs because they raise your body temp.

The tour including Middleham Falls (Roseau Valley Best) includes a fairly strenuous hike to the falls. Maybe a kid wouldn't find it too strenuous, but it's long enough that I could see them getting tired, and it wouldn't be fun to have to carry a child on this hike!

Here's the link to the Bumpiing site with brief descriptions of the tours he does with cruise ship passengers. http://www.bumpiingtours.com/cruise-ship-visitors.html. I'd suggest contacting Levi for specific questions and recommendations.

Texkan, the Dominican government recently instituted the time regulations on Trafalgar Falls due to the crowds (not because of safety concerns). I'm not sure what time Levi's tours get there now. I'd encourage you to e-mail him.

Jodi

Yes, this tour visits Trafalgar Falls but not sure the time. I do know that we go to beach first.

Please advise if I should not tour Falls after 2 pm

After 2 is ok but I think that it will be very busy since it is a very popular place. I am hoping to hear that this new policy is not being upheld. Many ships leave at 5 which means all aboard by 4:30. It is close to a 30 minute drive from Trafalgar falls to the ship so I would think that most folks would want to be on their way by 3:30. So if there is a line up to get in at 2 it doesn't leave much time for a nice relaxing visit to the falls.

After 2 is ok but I think that it will be very busy since it is a very popular place. I am hoping to hear that this new policy is not being upheld. Many ships leave at 5 which means all aboard by 4:30. It is close to a 30 minute drive from Trafalgar falls to the ship so I would think that most folks would want to be on their way by 3:30. So if there is a line up to get in at 2 it doesn't leave much time for a nice relaxing visit to the falls.

Thanks, I am with you that I prefer to be on way back to ship mid afternoon.

Do not want to be running to catch ship as it sails away from dock. Have seen people left behind.

You go to Champagne Reef first not last like last time, when you went to Champagne at the end of Levi's tour. This tour is definitely moderate water in Titou was "refreshing":D as Levi put it. The Emerald left Dominica at I think 4pm Levi had us back right at 3, no problemo.

Really looking forward to the reviews of Levi's new Nature Hike Tour, please post when you return Thanks Todd

• 1 month later...

Todd,

I finally have a review up (see the thread on Levi's new hike). Check my Serenade review on the Royal Caribbean page - there are some pictures. I hope to get more done this weekend and I'll add them to the review on this board. Great hike, you have to do it!

Todd,

I finally have a review up (see the thread on Levi's new hike). Check my Serenade review on the Royal Caribbean page - there are some pictures. I hope to get more done this weekend and I'll add them to the review on this board. Great hike, you have to do it!

In the post above my last post he said that he went on it. Does this excursion go to Trafalgar falls? I'm visiting next month and am hoping to find out how busy it has been lately around 2. Thanks :)

In the post above my last post he said that he went on it. Does this excursion go to Trafalgar falls? I'm visiting next month and am hoping to find out how busy it has been lately around 2. Thanks :)

Todd hadn't been on the Pedu Temps Trail hike yet; we were the first people to do that one. It does't go to Trafalgar Falls; it's the hike that goes to Levi's uncle's farm in the Nature Preserve for lunch. Can't help you with how crowded that is, but the new hike is absolutely wonderful.

Todd hadn't been on the Pedu Temps Trail hike yet; we were the first people to do that one. It does't go to Trafalgar Falls; it's the hike that goes to Levi's uncle's farm in the Nature Preserve for lunch. Can't help you with how crowded that is, but the new hike is absolutely wonderful.

Right that poster was Ernie not Todd.

We are going to Trafalgar Falls on this trip. Thanks though.

I may rethink the Trafalgar Falls part of our plan if there is a mad rush around 2.00 p.m. when all the private excursions get there. Hope someone who has been recently can give some feedback.

Now I'm thinking Screws Spa might be quite crowded in the morning too if people are hanging around there waiting to get to the Falls at 2.00 as I believe the two attractions are not far apart. Kind of spoils the idea of a peaceful natural setting if it's too jammed with people.

Maybe we should put ourselves in the hands of a taxi driver who hopefully will have a better sense of the tourist traffic flow. Does anyone know how much it might cost to get a taxi to Screws and Trafalgar? Just DH and myself - which unfortunately makes a pre arranged private tour too expensive.

• 1 month later...

I've spent hours and read a lot of posts about Dominca and private tours with Bumpiing vs ship tours.

I've learned Dominica no longer allows the private tours to go to Trafalgar Falls early in the day. Theyre not allowed in until 2:00. I'd like to know if people now think it's better to book with your cruise line?

If I book with Bumpiing, then would we be going to Trafalgar Falls with all the other private tours at 2:00. In my opinion, it sounds like it will be very crowded at 2:00 and less crowded during the morning when only cruise ship tours are allowed in.

Are my assumptions wrong? Please share if you've been to Dominica since they implemented this new rule. I'm considering two Celebrity tours in light of this: "Dominica's Favorites" or "Pools and Falls Nature Adventure" or "Aerial Tram and Trafalgar Falls."

Thanks.

Also, is this rule in effect for the Emerald Pool and Titou Gorge as well?

Thanks.

Apparently they have relaxed the rule and now non cruise tours can go in at 1 p.m.

When we were at Trafalgar a couple of weeks ago with a private taxi guide it was not crowded at all at around 1.20-1.30. We were surprised. But then there was only one ship in Port so that probably makes a difference and the weather had been overcast and showery.

The visiting restrictions are only for Trafalgar as far as I know. Probably becuase it's the most easily accessible/closest from the town/port.

I wouldn't let that influence your choice of tour. The established tour guides know how to time/plan the day.

Archived