No Trafalgar Falls until after 3. What's next?

Karysa

I was informed this morning by a private tour guide in Dominica that Trafalgar Falls has been designated as a "premiere site by the ministry of tourism" and therefore only cruise ship organized tours can visit there before 3 pm.:( Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...
Anyone have any updated information regarding this? I'm hoping that we can snorkel champagne reef in the morning and then head to Trafalgar Falls via Taxi around 1 pm on our March cruise.

Im friends with someone who lives in Dominica..I asked for you. when I find out, I will come back and post any new information I may receive.

Im told that tour operators and taxis are allowed in after 2pm. I am also told that it was the cruise lines that put pressure on the ministry. It as not the taxi authority.

Now that, I believe. 2pm is more reasonable than 3. One more reason to avoid cruiseship excursions.

Thanks for the information.

Levi mentioned something about this new time about not being able to get into Tralfalger falls, he said it was the government wanting everybody(tourists) to stay in town and spend $$$$ not just head up into the mountains for the day. We got in anyway, after going down to the falls and sitting in the hots springs I went to the snack bar and drank 2 Kabuli's that were ice cold, really nice day on Dominica Levi and Garry are about as first class as it gets. Hope that helps Todd

Levi mentioned something about this new time about not being able to get into Tralfalger falls, he said it was the government wanting everybody(tourists) to stay in town and spend $$$$ not just head up into the mountains for the day. We got in anyway, after going down to the falls and sitting in the hots springs I went to the snack bar and drank 2 Kabuli's that were ice cold, really nice day on Dominica Levi and Garry are about as first class as it gets. Hope that helps Todd

When I was there in 2005 there was not much to do in town, has that changed?

From your post it seems that people are just reversing their routes and stopping at trafalgar falls prior to boarding the ship instead of first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the info.

When I was there in 2005 there was not much to do in town, has that changed?

From your post it seems that people are just reversing their routes and stopping at trafalgar falls prior to boarding the ship instead of first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the info.

We did Champagne Reef first this time which surprised me because the two previous times with Levi we always snorkelled Champagne last, its "reversed" as you put it.

Dominica has changed quite a bit since I was last there in 2008, yes there is more to do in town than there was, much more shopping and a few more touristy restaurants have popped up, they are trying to keep you in town as long as they can before you, myself and everyone else on the ship heads up into the mountains(like we always do), its simple math. Trafalger will be the last stop "instead of first thing in the morning" on your tour now because of the new time issue, its not a problem. Have fun, I did. Todd

We did Champagne Reef first this time which surprised me because the two previous times with Levi we always snorkelled Champagne last, its "reversed" as you put it.

Dominica has changed quite a bit since I was last there in 2008, yes there is more to do in town than there was, much more shopping and a few more touristy restaurants have popped up, they are trying to keep you in town as long as they can before you, myself and everyone else on the ship heads up into the mountains(like we always do), its simple math. Trafalger will be the last stop "instead of first thing in the morning" on your tour now because of the new time issue, its not a problem. Have fun, I did. Todd

How was the snorkeling? Champagne and trafalgar falls are the two places that we want to visit as well. It will be interesting to see how the town fares from this new practice. Seems to me that they are just taking money from the taxi drivers in hopes to keep the store owners busier.

How was the snorkeling? Champagne and trafalgar falls are the two places that we want to visit as well. It will be interesting to see how the town fares from this new practice. Seems to me that they are just taking money from the taxi drivers in hopes to keep the store owners busier.

The snorkeling I thought was as good or better on Dominica water conditions were great, and snorkeling Champagne everything is right there to see you dont have to swim up and down the coast like Bonaire, we saw everything Levi is a pro.

What they are doing is taking $$$ away from the vendors up in the mountains and trying to even it out with vendors in town, they're trying to even out OUR time and money we spend when we are on the island, if that makes any sense. Hope that helps Todd

Try and take a tour that includes a Titou Gorge swim.

The snorkeling I thought was as good or better on Dominica water conditions were great, and snorkeling Champagne everything is right there to see you dont have to swim up and down the coast like Bonaire, we saw everything Levi is a pro.

What they are doing is taking $$$ away from the vendors up in the mountains and trying to even it out with vendors in town, they're trying to even out OUR time and money we spend when we are on the island, if that makes any sense. Hope that helps Todd

Try and take a tour that includes a Titou Gorge swim.

Thanks for the help. I think we will do it by taxi this time. After champagne we will go back to town and have lunch and look around before getting another taxi to trafalgar falls. Do you know of a good spot that would also have something for a vegetarian?

Thanks for the help. I think we will do it by taxi this time. After champagne we will go back to town and have lunch and look around before getting another taxi to trafalgar falls. Do you know of a good spot that would also have something for a vegetarian?

The road out to Champagne has been washed out, they are in the process of building a sea wall so its a bit of a rough ride out and back nothing major though.

Vegetarian its funny you asked that my buddy and tour guide on Dominica Levi Baron is a vegetarian of 21 years we discussed it, you should be able to find something in Roseau to fit your needs. When you port and walk out to town all those shops(open air) down on the "LEFT" were never there when I was in Dominica before. I didnt shop because we simply didnt have time, The Emerald left Dominica at 3:30pm(12/4), Levi had us back at the dock at 3:10 it was basically perfect.

If it were me and I was doing this as you were I would hire the taxi for the day you can see everything for $50-ish per person, instead of hiring another taxi it's just an idea.

Levi is offering a new tour next year a 3 1/2 hour nature hike starting Jan.18, 2012 thru the preserve sounded awesome. Not for the faint at heart sounds all me next time Im on the island. I've done everything else several times Im ready to take a hike!:) Have fun Todd

Thanks you have been most helpful. We have a couple of other full day excursions booked already and we did do a 6 hour tour of Dominica on our last visit so I think I will just go with my last plan. All 5 of us are ok with this and if we are offered something else at the pier we may just go with that instead.

Thanks you have been most helpful. We have a couple of other full day excursions booked already and we did do a 6 hour tour of Dominica on our last visit so I think I will just go with my last plan. All 5 of us are ok with this and if we are offered something else at the pier we may just go with that instead.

You are gonna be offered everything as far as tours go at the pier I was right there and many of the tours for the $$$ looked great. I've been with Levi so many times and enjoy his company so much I just stick with him. Your gonna have a great time which ever you choose. Good luck to you and enjoy the island. Todd

Levi is offering a new tour next year a 3 1/2 hour nature hike starting Jan.18, 2012 thru the preserve sounded awesome. Not for the faint at heart sounds all me next time Im on the island. I've done everything else several times Im ready to take a hike!:) Have fun Todd

Our friends and the two of us are the ones who are taking the new excursion on January 18th. We've toured with Levi twice in the past, he told this about it last January and we're very excited! Our first tour with him was the Middleham falls hike - definitely not for the faint of heart, but a great excursion!

Have fun!

Our friends and the two of us are the ones who are taking the new excursion on January 18th. We've toured with Levi twice in the past, he told this about it last January and we're very excited! Our first tour with him was the Middleham falls hike - definitely not for the faint of heart, but a great excursion!

Have fun!

Thats awesome!!! Cant wait to hear about your tour and how it went, Levi told me all about it and it's all me next time on the island. You are his first tour, incredible I would be very excited as well. Please post a review when you get back, Thanks alot Todd

Have fun!:D

Did Levi mention that you will be visiting this man who lives back in the reserve, how AWESOME is that??!! Your gonna have a blast like I said PLEASE post a review when you return.

You are gonna be offered everything as far as tours go at the pier I was right there and many of the tours for the $$$ looked great. I've been with Levi so many times and enjoy his company so much I just stick with him. Your gonna have a great time which ever you choose. Good luck to you and enjoy the island. Todd

We had a plan that changed at the pier at a couple of ports on our Adriatic Sea cruise last summer and we ended up having great days. It's a beautiful island and we are very excited to be going back to Dominica.

Thats awesome!!! Cant wait to hear about your tour and how it went, Levi told me all about it and it's all me next time on the island. You are his first tour, incredible I would be very excited as well. Please post a review when you get back, Thanks alot Todd

Have fun!:D

Did Levi mention that you will be visiting this man who lives back in the reserve, how AWESOME is that??!! Your gonna have a blast like I said PLEASE post a review when you return.

I'll post a review to this thread when we get back. When we were with Levi last January we told him we'd be back in Jan 2012 & wanted something different, that didn't include 2000 of our closest friends. He told us he was planning this one, and we immediately told him we'd do it. Did he tell you the man we'll visit is his uncle, who will be preparing the lunch? Because of all the rain this year it took hima while to get this all planned. That's why we get to be the first, I think. I e-mailed periodically during the year to make sure it was still on track. Can't wait!

Sounds like a really different tour, Levi did mention that it was his uncle and that he would be preparing lunch when you finally arrived. I cant wait for a review. This sounds like a really cool tour. Levi told me all about it, your in for a great day. Have fun and take care Todd

I'll post a review to this thread when we get back. When we were with Levi last January we told him we'd be back in Jan 2012 & wanted something different, that didn't include 2000 of our closest friends. He told us he was planning this one, and we immediately told him we'd do it. Did he tell you the man we'll visit is his uncle, who will be preparing the lunch? Because of all the rain this year it took hima while to get this all planned. That's why we get to be the first, I think. I e-mailed periodically during the year to make sure it was still on track. Can't wait!

Yikes, does the only way to avoid going with 2000 of your closest friends in Dominica consist of a 3 and 1/2 hour hike! I will not be able to convince my gang to do this. LOL

If you get the chance could you include a couple of pictures in with your review. This may be my only hope since I am traveling with a professional photographer and a new and excited amateur photographer. Thanks.

Yikes, does the only way to avoid going with 2000 of your closest friends in Dominica consist of a 3 and 1/2 hour hike! I will not be able to convince my gang to do this. LOL

If you get the chance could you include a couple of pictures in with your review. This may be my only hope since I am traveling with a professional photographer and a new and excited amateur photographer. Thanks.

Any time you go near Trafalgar Falls or Titou Gorge, even with a private tour, you're going to end up with 2000 of your closest friends from the ship. These sites are worth seeing, but We don't need to do that again. And we like the hikes.

I'll put some pictures in (if I can get them small enough - I shoot in RAW). I'm an excited amateur, too, use a Nikon D7000, and hope to get some good shots. Levi was going to put some of my pictures on his website when he updated it, don't know if he's done that yet.

Any time you go near Trafalgar Falls or Titou Gorge, even with a private tour, you're going to end up with 2000 of your closest friends from the ship. These sites are worth seeing, but We don't need to do that again. And we like the hikes.

I'll put some pictures in (if I can get them small enough - I shoot in RAW). I'm an excited amateur, too, use a Nikon D7000, and hope to get some good shots. Levi was going to put some of my pictures on his website when he updated it, don't know if he's done that yet.

Lot's of bell's and whistles on that camera.:DGood choice. DH uses the D700 and DD just got a D5100 for a grad/18th BD present. I prefer hers to the tank that he carries around his neck.:DWe got lucky last time and were the first ones at Trafalgar Falls but with the new rules that will not be happening again for us. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Lot's of bell's and whistles on that camera.:DGood choice. DH uses the D700 and DD just got a D5100 for a grad/18th BD present. I prefer hers to the tank that he carries around his neck.:DWe got lucky last time and were the first ones at Trafalgar Falls but with the new rules that will not be happening again for us. I look forward to seeing your photos.

I love my camera. It was an upgrade from my D60 (same size as the D5100), which now feels like a toy to me. The D7k is quite a bit bigger, has the bells and whistles of the full frame cameras, but is a little smaller, which works for me. I've played around with a friend's D700, too. If for me, too. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy her camera, that's a great present.

CruiseDiva, you were, indeed lucky! It's quite a zoo when it's crowded.

Archived