what was your favorite cupcake at the cupcake cupboard?

[quote=ILuvCruisin';30673350]Found a picture of The Manly Cupcake:
Only available on the Allure of the Seas ship: a cupcake topped with bacon.

[IMG]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g324/kuyaoliver/manlycupcake.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

[B][COLOR=blue]They had these on LOS in July 2011. They did not look appetizing to me, but the baker said that they sold out daily.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#0000ff]Only a certain amount of each flavor of cupcakes are made each day and when they are gone, they are not replenished until more are baked which is why some flavors are not always available.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#0000ff]If you're lucky, you may happen across a time when they put out free samples of the various flavors on a platter. They cut each cupcake into about 8 small slices and put toothpicks in them. I don't think they have set times for the tastings, we randomly came across them twice during our 7 days.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#0000ff]To me, the icings were very sweet. Also, since they are made fresh without preservatives, they don't taste very good the next day (if you get carry out) because they tend to get hard and stale.[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='wolfegizmo']Loved the plain vanilla cupcakes on both the oasis and allure! Had one or two every day!

Going on liberty in dec and I'm so sad they don't have a cupcake cupboard!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

The Liberty DOES have a Cupcake Cupboard! It was added recently! :)

[quote name='Loves_Dogs']How small (like 1/2 or 1/4 the size of larger) are the mini and what is the cost?[/quote]

I posted a pic of the case on page 4. On the top left, there are mini's. They look to be about 1/3 of the size of the regular ones. Not sure what the price is since I only got the bigger ones. It may be $1.25.

[quote name='wingnutphl']I posted a pic of the case on page 4. On the top left, there are mini's. They look to be about 1/3 of the size of the regular ones. Not sure what the price is since I only got the bigger ones. It may be $1.25.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]Do they have all the same variety in the small versions, because I could try so many more that way...:D

To CapsR1
if I would to take a few home in a box do you think 15 seconds in the microwave would soften them up?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='wingnutphl']I posted a pic of the case on page 4. On the top left, there are mini's. They look to be about 1/3 of the size of the regular ones. Not sure what the price is since I only got the bigger ones. It may be $1.25.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info!

@ medfordgirl -
You are thinking the same thing I was - would rather buy a bunch of small ones (at least initially) to try them and see which ones I prefer.

[quote name='medfordgirl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=dimgray]Do they have all the same variety in the small versions, because I could try so many more that way...:D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=dimgray]To CapsR1[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=dimgray]if I would to take a few home in a box do you think 15 seconds in the microwave would soften them up?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Truthfully, I don't think they would taste good after the first day and the frosting would be affected by the heat.

Buy a mini or two and keep it in your cabin for a couple of days and you'll understand what I mean.

[quote name='beckeck1']The earliest red velvets were colored with beet juice, but pretty much now it's just red food coloring.

I don't understand why everyone goes crazy for this flavor, either. There are MUCH tastier options out there. :confused: However, my very southern mother-in-law seems to love it.[/QUOTE]

For me, it's not the cake so much, but the cream cheese icing that it usually on top :D

[quote name='vowsatsea']For me, it's not the cake so much, but the cream cheese icing that it usually on top :D[/QUOTE]

Yum!!!!! Me too!

[quote name='beckeck1']Maybe that's my problem. I dislike cream cheese icing and usually scrape it off.[/QUOTE]

Gasp!!!!!!

[quote name='CapsR1']

Buy a mini or two and keep it in your cabin for a couple of days and you'll understand what I mean.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]Good idea, I wouldn't want to spend alot of money on them to bring them home just to throw them away. Just hope I have the will power to NOT eat the one I bring back to my room:o[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='beckeck1']Maybe that's my problem. I dislike cream cheese icing and usually scrape it off.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I put whipped buttercream frosting on my Mom's red velvet (heart-shaped) cake. :p

Wow lots of cupcake lovers here, wish you all lived nearby as my wife and I own a bakery and cupcakes are easily our biggest sellers with red velvet the number one seller every day. So we love people that love cupcakes. personally I don't know what people like about the red velvet so much, the cake doesn't have much flavor to it (BTW it's not chocolate or vanilla), I get that people like the creme cheese icing but I'd rather have it on a cake with a lot of flavor. We put creme cheese on our carrot, Italian creme, pumpkin and a few others a well and I like them all more then the red although I don't tell our customers that since they love it so much. Of course I think part of that is the way ours looks. Was hoping the Mariner had one of these cupcake shops to try them out but saw some one post that it doesn't.

[quote name='TexasWheels']Wow lots of cupcake lovers here, wish you all lived nearby as my wife and I own a bakery and cupcakes are easily our biggest sellers with red velvet the number one seller every day. So we love people that love cupcakes. personally I don't know what people like about the red velvet so much, the cake doesn't have much flavor to it (BTW it's not chocolate or vanilla), I get that people like the creme cheese icing but I'd rather have it on a cake with a lot of flavor. We put creme cheese on our carrot, Italian creme, pumpkin and a few others a well and I like them all more then the red although I don't tell our customers that since they love it so much. Of course I think part of that is the way ours looks. Was hoping the Mariner had one of these cupcake shops to try them out but saw some one post that it doesn't.[/quote]

I've never understood the fascination with Red Velvet as well. I watch them make it on Cupcake Wars (knowing that Florian dislikes it) all of the time. I've never noticed much flavor to it either, it's just a rich devils food type cake. I'd rather have a cake base with definitive flavors in it to contract with the icing. The appeal of red velvet cake is definitely the looks of it, but I go for taste over looks any day.

[quote name='sherilyn70']I've never understood the fascination with Red Velvet as well. I watch them make it on Cupcake Wars (knowing that Florian dislikes it) all of the time. I've never noticed much flavor to it either, it's just a rich devils food type cake. I'd rather have a cake base with definitive flavors in it to contract with the icing. The appeal of red velvet cake is definitely the looks of it, but I go for taste over looks any day.[/quote]

Red velvet is not a chocolate cake.

It is a yellow batter with a bit of cocoa powder that enchances the red coloring.

[quote name='TexasWheels']Wow lots of cupcake lovers here, wish you all lived nearby as my wife and I own a bakery and cupcakes are easily our biggest sellers with red velvet the number one seller every day. So we love people that love cupcakes. personally I don't know what people like about the red velvet so much, the cake doesn't have much flavor to it (BTW it's not chocolate or vanilla), I get that people like the creme cheese icing but I'd rather have it on a cake with a lot of flavor. We put creme cheese on our carrot, Italian creme, pumpkin and a few others a well and I like them all more then the red although I don't tell our customers that since they love it so much. Of course I think part of that is the way ours looks. Was hoping the Mariner had one of these cupcake shops to try them out but saw some one post that it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]I would love to see pictures of your cupcakes and what is your favorite. I wish you were going on a cruise with the cupcake cupboard since you are a Professional cupcaker and we would all love your opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think the attraction for red velvet is the texture and the very mild chocolate flavor. I am not a real fan of chocolate - good chocolates are wasted on me as I would rather have Hershey's milk chocolate, and the amount of chocolate flavor in a Wendy's Frosty is about the most I enjoy. Think I am going to have to try one of those red velvet cupcakes.

I would love to see pictures of your cupcakes and what is your favorite. I wish you were going on a cruise with the cupcake cupboard since you are a Professional cupcaker and we would all love your opinion.

I did try and post a picture with the above post but it didn't seem to come through even though it showed on the preview, was also posting from my phone so maybe that's why. I'll try again.

It's hard to say that one flavor is a head and shoulders favorite as we have so many greats ones to choose from, but usually something with chocolate. Our PB&C (Peanut Butter and Chocolate), Tux (Chocolate cake with Vanilla butter cream icing), Peppermint Patty are at the tops, but then we also just started doing Pumpkin for the fall and I've had 3 of those so far in the last two weeks (that's a lot for me of one flavor).

The Red Velvet does have a little bit of coco added to the mix just to help deepen the red, but I've never noticed any chocolate flavor to it at all, however different bakeries do things different. I have been to a horrible cupcake shop that did actually just dye their chocolate red and then put on cream cheese icing and call it red velvet, seen the same done with vanilla. But a true red won't be either of those, the texture comes from the chemical reaction you get when mixing baking soda and vinegar (yes vinegar) together.

Lets see if my picture of our red shows up this time...

2011-10-07_13-36-10_HDR.jpg.297e855282885c172f8ea9194bbd1807.jpg

Archived