what was your favorite cupcake at the cupcake cupboard?

[QUOTE=ILuvCruisin';30673350]Found a picture of The Manly Cupcake:
Only available on the Allure of the Seas ship: a cupcake topped with bacon.

[IMG]http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g324/kuyaoliver/manlycupcake.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]omg that is real bacon, I was thinking it was just sweet stuff to look like bacon. :eek: what flavor was the cupcake and frosting and REALLY, how did real bacon taste on a sweet cupcake? what an odd combination:confused: Is it a big seller?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='medfordgirl'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]omg that is real bacon, I was thinking it was just sweet stuff to look like bacon. :eek: what flavor was the cupcake and frosting and REALLY, how did real bacon taste on a sweet cupcake? what an odd combination:confused: Is it a big seller?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

YUMMMMMM. I'm a red velvet guy

I've never understood what's so great about Red Velvet. Isn't it just basically vanilla, with a gallon of red food coloring? I've always thought Red Velvet cake wasn't good for you, because of all the food coloring. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a special flavor to them? :)

[quote name='RhondaC']I've never understood what's so great about Red Velvet. Isn't it just basically vanilla, with a gallon of red food coloring? I've always thought Red Velvet cake wasn't good for you, because of all the food coloring. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a special flavor to them? :)[/quote]
I have never actually eaten a Red Velvet cake but I am very sure it's chocolate not vanilla. All the red food dye has always put me off also.

[quote name='RhondaC']I've never understood what's so great about Red Velvet. Isn't it just basically vanilla, with a gallon of red food coloring? I've always thought Red Velvet cake wasn't good for you, because of all the food coloring. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a special flavor to them? :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Desertbelle']I have never actually eaten a Red Velvet cake but I am very sure it's chocolate not vanilla. All the red food dye has always put me off also.[/QUOTE]

You both are correct. It has both chocolate and vanilla in it.
[url]http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Desserts/Red-Velvet-Cake-with-Vanilla-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.aspx[/url]

[quote name='Desertbelle']I have never actually eaten a Red Velvet cake but I am very sure it's chocolate not vanilla. All the red food dye has always put me off also.[/QUOTE]

From wikipedia:"A red velvet cake is a cake with a dark red, bright red or red-brown color. It is usually prepared as a layer cake with either a vanilla or chocolate flavor, topped with a creamy white icing. The reddish-brown color of the cake originally was from a reaction of the cocoa powder with an acidic ingredient such as buttermilk, however red food coloring is often added especially if the cake does not contain chocolate".

I had never heard of it until we lived in Nashville. Duncan Hines sells a Moist Deluxe Red Velvet cake mix and it's so easy to make from a box! I made my Mom a heart-shaped red velvet cake for her 80th birthday party and she loved it. Apparently it contains Red 40, but I can't imagine having it once or twice a year would be deadly.

The earliest red velvets were colored with beet juice, but pretty much now it's just red food coloring.

I don't understand why everyone goes crazy for this flavor, either. There are MUCH tastier options out there. :confused: However, my very southern mother-in-law seems to love it.

[quote name='beckeck1'][B][COLOR=red]I don't understand why everyone goes crazy for this flavor, either. There are MUCH tastier options out there. :confused:[/COLOR][/B] However, my very southern mother-in-law seems to love it.[/quote]

And I don't understand why everyone does not go crazy for them there is no tastier option out there.

[quote name='beckeck1']The earliest red velvets were colored with beet juice, but pretty much now it's just red food coloring.
[/QUOTE]

I did see that beet root powder can be used as a substitute for food coloring. :)

I'qve been reading that the cupcakes aren't very good. I'l try one to see if it's worth all the calories..I'm a big dessert person..just lve sweets, but I make sure they're really worth the extra money and calories..Just my opinion:rolleyes:

[quote name='Linco711']I'qve been reading that the cupcakes aren't very good. I'l try one to see if it's worth all the calories..I'm a big dessert person..just lve sweets, but I make sure they're really worth the extra money and calories..Just my opinion:rolleyes:[/quote]

I thought they were pretty good. You can also get a mini and try that before graduating to the larger size.

Archived