Rhodes excursions

Rdwhite1999

Someone on the Roll Call for our upcoming cruise is using this company and the tour description for a half day tour might be what you are looking for. I don't have first-hand experience with them but have read recommendations for this company many times on these Boards.

Check out this website: http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/be...urs_greece.htm

Elaine

If you are interested in a private taxi tour, then I recommend you contact Themis Gounaris.

4 of us had a wonderful day with Themis last November. We toured through the Old City and then to Lindos. We also saw many other places, whose names I can't remember and also drove along the beach area. The beach area was fairly quiet in November, but apparently it is really "jumping" in mid-summer.

Themis grew up in the Old City and will tell you lots of stories and the history of the area.

A private taxi tour anywhere in Greece (or the islands) seems to run at around 40 euro per hour, so if there are 4 of you, it's quite reasonable and you will see lots more than on a ship's tour. We had another couple join us from our roll call.

Themis has a website - http://www.viptaxitours.com and his email is - themis@hol.gr

Enjoy your visit to Rhodes. We certainly did.

RachelG and Porsena are both quite right in that the Old Town of Rhodes is easy to just walk from the ship and wander through the streets. This is also true for many points of interest in other port stops on a Med cruise.

However, we find that a private taxi tour is much than than just transportation. We particularly enjoy the conversation with the driver. As well as telling us about the history of the area, they will often talk about their lives in general - what family they have; what it was like to grow up in the area; where they now live (eg house, apartment, etc); what are their ambitions for themselves and/or their children; what they do for relaxation; what foods they like to eat and their general lifestyle.

Perhaps I'm "nosey", but I find that this gives me another perspective of the country or that particular area. I enjoy this just as much as seeing historical buildings, scenery, etc. It's something that you can't really get from a guidebook or wandering on your own.

The OP also expressed interest in going to Lindos. This can actually be done by public bus, but our private tour detoured off the main highway into small villages and other places of interest on the way to and from Lindos. I believe that we gained more insight into the island than we would have on a public bus or organised large-group tour.

This, of course, is just my personal view and I do understand that we all like to do things differently and also have different priorities of what we want to experience.

We can wholeheartedly recommend Rhodes Private Tours. We used them in July when we were there. The link below will give you a full description of their tours.

http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/

We prefer independent excursions and have been on many, so we know when we have a great tour. Our experience with them was outstanding. Our driver was prompt, professional and passionate about his country.

We did the half-day tour that included Lindos. We had lunch at a wonderful local restaurant with an amazing view of the crystal-blue water. Rhodes is beautiful!

I hope you enjoy your visit as much as we did!

6040242022_0c6659789c_z.jpg

Rhodes, Greece by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

6136061085_0be922230c_z.jpg

Rhodes by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second everything Goldygolfer has to say about Themis .. thanks to Cruise Critic, we secured his services for a just completed Celebrity Constellation cruise and he was outstanding.

My one piece of advice .. ignore the other touts waiting at the gate who may try and tell you Themis is a) dead b) retired. They just want his business .. he was waiting in his car nearby, very much alive and kicking and he is a fantastic asset for the Greek tourism industry. Thank you, THemis!

My vote is for Rhodes Private Tours as well! Our driver was George (AWESOME GUY), and we also did the half day tour that takes you to Lindos. You will love every minute of it. Rhodes was a favorite stop for many in our group - and George played a big part of it!

Leesh77

RachelG and Porsena are both quite right in that the Old Town of Rhodes is easy to just walk from the ship and wander through the streets. This is also true for many points of interest in other port stops on a Med cruise.

However, we find that a private taxi tour is much than than just transportation. We particularly enjoy the conversation with the driver. As well as telling us about the history of the area, they will often talk about their lives in general - what family they have; what it was like to grow up in the area; where they now live (eg house, apartment, etc); what are their ambitions for themselves and/or their children; what they do for relaxation; what foods they like to eat and their general lifestyle.

Perhaps I'm "nosey", but I find that this gives me another perspective of the country or that particular area. I enjoy this just as much as seeing historical buildings, scenery, etc. It's something that you can't really get from a guidebook or wandering on your own.

The OP also expressed interest in going to Lindos. This can actually be done by public bus, but our private tour detoured off the main highway into small villages and other places of interest on the way to and from Lindos. I believe that we gained more insight into the island than we would have on a public bus or organised large-group tour.

This, of course, is just my personal view and I do understand that we all like to do things differently and also have different priorities of what we want to experience.

\

Would the streets be manual wheelchair friendly? Thank you!

\

Would the streets be manual wheelchair friendly? Thank you!

If I remember correctly they should be easy enough to manage. The ship docks within easy walking distance to old town. Here are my Rhodes pictures so you can see what it's like.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e90214e77bf9#cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9%212897

If I remember correctly they should be easy enough to manage. The ship docks within easy walking distance to old town. Here are my Rhodes pictures so you can see what it's like.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e90214e77bf9#cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9%212897

Thank you! Nice pictures. Did you just walk arounds old town or did you also do an excursion? What other ports did you visit?

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Thank you! Nice pictures. Did you just walk arounds old town or did you also do an excursion? What other ports did you visit?

Thank you so much for sharing!!

We just walked around on our own. We also walked to the beach area along the water. There is so much to see in Rhodes just by walking. We will be leaving today for our 8th Med cruise and have been to most of the ports. We will be returning to Rhodes but this time we will rent a car and go to Lindos. We usually DIY and rarely use ship tours or even private tours.

We just walked around on our own. We also walked to the beach area along the water. There is so much to see in Rhodes just by walking. We will be leaving today for our 8th Med cruise and have been to most of the ports. We will be returning to Rhodes but this time we will rent a car and go to Lindos. We usually DIY and rarely use ship tours or even private tours.

Any advice for visiting Santorini with Mother in a wheelchair? Thank you and enjoy your cruise!!!:)

Alot depends on weather she can stand and take a few steps. I have seen wheel chairs on tenders if they fold and the person can stand and be hepled onto the tender. The problem with Santorini is getting up to the town. There is a cable car but there are a lot of steps to get to it. If you do a ship excursion they tender you to a port with a bus. But she would have to get onto the bus and I don't know if they would let you take the wheel chair on the bus. I believe HAL has wheelchair accesable tours so you might want to look into them.

Alot depends on weather she can stand and take a few steps. I have seen wheel chairs on tenders if they fold and the person can stand and be hepled onto the tender. The problem with Santorini is getting up to the town. There is a cable car but there are a lot of steps to get to it. If you do a ship excursion they tender you to a port with a bus. But she would have to get onto the bus and I don't know if they would let you take the wheel chair on the bus. I believe HAL has wheelchair accesable tours so you might want to look into them.

Thanks again for the info!!:)

Does anyone know how to get to Lindos by public transportation.

Right now our ship does not have enough people to run the half day excursion. It was a great deal at about $30.00 per person, but not if it will get canceled.

Does anyone know how to get to Lindos by public transportation.

Right now our ship does not have enough people to run the half day excursion. It was a great deal at about $30.00 per person, but not if it will get canceled.

Here is a post I bookmarked some time ago with good info on taking the bus to Lindos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20757332&postcount=24

I've also read there are taxis willing to take you there but no idea on cost.

• 3 months later...

Awesome pictures! Can't wait to go back there...

• 1 month later...

Can you get to Colossus of Rhodes without booking a tour? I prefer DIY or private tours whenever possible but this is a must see for me because it's part of my 7 wonders of the ancient world checklist. The ship's tour will take me there but if I can get there by walking then I'll cancel the tour especially if we can get to Lindos via public transportation. Thanks for your input.

JD

Can you get to Colossus of Rhodes without booking a tour? I prefer DIY or private tours whenever possible but this is a must see for me because it's part of my 7 wonders of the ancient world checklist. The ship's tour will take me there but if I can get there by walking then I'll cancel the tour especially if we can get to Lindos via public transportation. Thanks for your input.

JD

Well, first off, there is no Colossus of Rhodes. Not even a footprint so one could tell where the famous ancient Wonder of the World once stood.

Because of this, there is wide disagreement about where the Colossus actually stood. Not sure which site your ship's tour would visit -- most likely the "harbor" site, which is probably the LEAST likely site for the actual statue.

Currently, many modern researchers believe the statue was located up on a hill, not at the harbor. A likely place where it may have stood (and there are ancient ruins there to verify the area was used at the time) is in the courtyard of the Grand Master's Palace. When you go there (if you have a guide), they should point out the ancient foundations that have been uncovered there.

You can easily get to both sites on your own.

• 1 month later...

Archived