Manhattan September 11th weekend...

smeyer418

because of the heightened security because of a terrorist threat, this is no weekend to drive into most of Manhattan. The West side highway was literally backed up from the GW Bridge to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel(which is almost impossible to get to from the west side)....use the subway or drive directly to the pier give yourself plenty of extra time....

below canal street every truck was being stopped and searched....

It is a MESS. Every one of my drivers in and around NYC has called in and reported a lot of chaos and congestion. The big trucks leaving Long Island and coming down 95 from CT/MA are backed up almost to Yonkers trying to go West across the GW bridge. There is a heavy police presence on the inner borough bridges. My little trucks are having a heck of a time getting back into the City to go to our yard in the Bronx through either the tunnel or the GW.

One driver reports the traffic going INTO NYC over the GW from the NJ Turnpike and I-80 is backed up for at least 15 miles. They have dog teams, something he said looked like APC's (Armoured personnel carriers), cops all over the place at the bridge plaza. They are searching every small truck and even some of the semis. At Vince Lombardi service plaza (Junction I-95 and I-80) there were NJ National Guard with dog teams walking around.

NOT the weekend to go sightseeing unless you are already in the city. I sure hope everyone allows themselves PLENTY of time-like leave early tomorrow for a cruise Sunday-stay in the city. Sure it will cost a few dollars, but you may miss your cruise if you cut it close.

It may be time to evaluate satellite parking like Stamford CT or Metropark NJ where you can pick up a train to Manhattan. Bayonne should be OK from the south or west, but coming from the north could be an issue. I'm not a fan of the Tappan Zee, but maybe the Tappan Zee to the Garden State Parkway to I280 or I78 might be a better choice tomorrow or Sunday. Gina - what do you think?

Bigtime police presence throughout Manhattan today... Saw many heavily armed guys. 5th Ave around Rockefeller Center is going to be closed for the 11th from what we were told. Kind of glad we depart tomorrow, sounds like its going to be chaotic.

I just drove into Manhattan returned to Brooklyn...traffic was lighter than most Saturday mornings in most places....

the Battery Tunnel(not the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel but the one on the south end of Manhattan that connects westside to the eastside is closed...southbound only...

although i wasn't in Manhattan yesterday, the roads in Brooklyn were fairly empty. I suspect that anyone who needed to get around above Canal street yesterday didn't have too bad a time...

The roads this am were normal school day rush hours...very busy anyway,,,

Archived