NCL Pearl's Dec 10, 2011 Sailing to Alaska (REVIEW)

BeadBabe

This was my second sailing on the Pearl and she was as lovely as before, with a very attentive crew. It was definitely a different type of cruise than the Carib. This cruise was more relaxed and laid back. Even the crew seemed more laid back.:rolleyes:

As usual, our every need was met and our every expectation was exceeded. This trip was with 5 dear friends that were brave enough to take me to cold weather!! Yes indeed it was cold and wet, but how could you really notice with the amazing scenery and things that we saw! To experience the Inside Passage with American Eagles flying by leaves me without words to express.

The ships high standard of cleanliness was as evident as ever. Everywhere you go are crew members diligently attending to every detail.

We arrived at the pier in Seattle about 12:30 and with our pre-registration in hand we sailed so quickly thru check-in I hardly remember stopping for the picture! As I've said before in my reviews, the key really is to come as early as you can. The lines are shorter and things move quickly. As the day passes and more people arrive, it will require a bit of a wait, but not a long one. Suite and above folks have a private check-in, and Latitudes members can process quickly as well. Be sure to PRE REGISTER online and that will save you some time at the counter.

Making dinner reservations are very easy. In cruises past I could only book a day or two in advance, but this cruise allowed me to book my entire weeks worth of reservations in on shot! That is a dream when you are making dinner plans for a group of 6. Reservations were available most everywhere with the exception of Le Bistro and Teppenyaki. Those two places filled up fast. So make your selections for those early. Sometimes we had to juggle our times here and there, but the crew bends over backwards to accommodate you. I can't say enough about the food. We did the Garden Cafe for breakfast (free) and some lunches (free) but most dinners we dined at the specialty restaurants. WELL worth the added fee. Don't let those fees scare you off, it's TOTALLY worth it. I will say this, since this is an Alaskan cruise most folks won't venture out to the poolside buffet or the Grill Buffet in the back as they are outside. This fact makes the inside Garden Cafe Buffet PACKED. So plan on a bit more time to eat if you are dining there, and be patient for a table. The crew is vigilant about cleaning tables quickly and finding you a seat.

Things you MUST eat:

BBQ Pork Ribs, Dirty Noodles, Lamb Medallions - Lotus Garden Restaurant

Escargo, and anything on the menu - Le Bistro

Lobster, monster shrimp cocktail - Cagney's

Chocolate Buffet - Watch your FreeStyle Daily:cool:

The spa prices are pricey as always. But watch your Freestyle Daily for specials. Also physically GO to the spa and talk to the spa crew. They will work special combo deals for you that are listed on the menu of services. Best Spa Deals: the 10/20/30 plan - 10% off first treatment, 20% of 2nd, 30% off third...combine those with bartering at the counter for a freebie. The other thing I would HIGHLY recommend is the Spa Pass. You pay a flat rate (was $119 per person for the 7 day cruise) and you have access to the mineral baths, hydrotherapy pools, sauna, steam room, stone therapy lounges, cold plunge and the private locker area for the entire cruise. You also have access to the very restful lounge area that sits at the very FRONT of the ship with full glass panoramic views out the bow. Likely my only complaint this cruise was that there was some paint peeling in the hydrotherapy pool.

The entertainment was fun, but I sure miss the Jean Ann Ryan Company. It seems the Pearl is handling it's own "stage show" performances now and they simply don't have the edge that the JARCo did. This is not to say its a bad show...it was enjoyable, but just not the Vegas quality that I've enjoyed in the past. SharkBait Duo was outstanding! The Bliss Ultra Lounge is amazing, be sure to see it. Not to mention you can go bowling ($5 per person, per game). I have to say I'm not thrilled now that the Spinnaker Lounge is "family" til all hours now. Before underage kids were allowed til 10pm then asked to leave the club to the adults. Now they are allowed until closing at midnight. From there the party would move to Bliss until their closing at 2am. However, since the Spinnaker is at the front of the ship and the Bliss is at the back, most folks seem to simply call it a night and find their cabins.

Watch your Freestyle Daily for specials in the Duty Free Shop. Great deals on liquor on certain days, plus free tastings! Always, always, ALWAYS mention you are a Latitudes member and get an additional 10-20% off anything you purchase in the shopping area. Just cuz it says Latitudes on your card, doesn't mean you'll get the discount. So ASK for it

Most favorite crew members: Annalissa in the Lotus Garden and Gede in the Java City Cafe (ask to see the 7 ball juggling act). Another all time favorite is Carlos the Concierge. Even though we weren't in suites, he always took the time to say hello.

The highlight had to be the cruise of Glacier Bay National Park. The captain gave us plenty of time on both sides of the ship to view the Glaciers. We saw otters, seals, porpoises and WHALES! We even saw a large chunk of glacier fall into the bay with a thunderous crash!!

I used a great local tour operator in Juneau. If you want the name, just ask and I’ll post it. What a wonderful organization!! They were prompt in replying to my emails and were more than happy to work a special arrangement for my group of 6. They were scheduled to pick us up right at the dock, but we got a wild hair to walk into town first. I phoned them to say we'd be walking around but would head back to the dock and they said "no way! Have fun! Where are you and we will come to you! " So they met us at a location in town and took us to the airfield. It was about a 30 min van ride away from the dock. At the facility, we were briefed and weighed. Yep weighed, as they arrange seating in the copter by size and weight. They also supply over garment rain gear and boots. So dress WARM and LAYER, and then they will fit you with rain gear. SPECTACULAR trip!! The helicopter ride was FANTASTIC and the dog sled adventure was truly once in a life time! Everyone in our party had a turn at driving the team. These people love Alaska, and their jobs, and treat the dogs like they are real children.

In Skagway I took a day van excursion with a local woman that has started up her own touring company. Let me know if you want their contact information. She partners with her son, so depending on your group size will determine who you go with. Smaller groups in Becky's SUV and larger ones in Kev's big van. What a fun day!! Becky or Kevin will spend SEVERAL emails talking with you about what you want to see. Is wildlife your thing? Hidden bays? Gold? The Yukon? Wanna see it all? They will custom design a tour from 3-6 hours for you and your group. The best part is as you are traveling along, you'll hear historical and hysterical accounts of the history and lore of the Yukon Territory.

In Ketchikan I used another local company. Wow what great folks! Picked us up right at the dock and took us about the 20 min ride to the harbor where their planes are. We were welcomed and seated in our plane and off for the Misty Fjords!! It's breathtaking!!! We landed in the water near a remote island and were blessed with seeing several Alaska Black Bears feasting on the spawning salmon. The pilot let us take our time and didn't rush us at all. Now there was one black bear that wanted to rush us and gave us the evil eye, but we kept our distance. This is the real wilds of Alaska folks!!

Our excursion to Butchart Gardens was the one ships tour we took. I have to say it was awesome and a well organized and well oiled machine. We got right off the boat, and were directed to our motor coach. The Gourmet Picnic was delicious!! Although I must say, considering we didn't’t arrive in Victoria until 6pm, if I had to do it over again…I would eat on the ship and spend the extra hour wandering the Gardens. There simply wasn't’t enough time. The musically coordinated fireworks display was lovely! The tour guide was wonderful and gave us a driving tour of Victoria on the way back to the ship

One thing we did this cruise that I've never done before was to take advantage of the BAGS program. It is AWESOME! You pay $20 per person to enroll in BAGS. The night before, just like everyone else you put your luggage outside your cabin. Now, in the morning as you are leaving, everyone else will have to wait their turn in line to get off the ship, go wait in line at customs, and fetch their luggage. Then drag them to a cab, drag them to check-in at the airport ,and FINALLY your hours as a pack mule are over! BUT if you enrolled in BAGS you can get off the ship anytime you want, walk past the customs line and right out to the taxi stand. You simply walk to your gate at the airport and get on the plane. For your $20 the BAGS folks will automatically take your luggage to the airport, check it for you, and you won't see it again until you arrive home. They will even print your boarding passes off for you, and deliver them to your cabin the night before. Well worth the $20 and made NCL's usual disembarkation day even more care free!

The whole experience was awesome. If you want to know anything specific, I'm happy to answer questions! :D

And it hasnt even happened yet! Im pretty sure it should be Aug. 2011. By her sig. But the hard thing is I cant read it. Even with my glasses. :) To light for me to read.

I'm glad you said something! I can barely read the text - it's so light that it's not really worth trying to make out - and I was hoping it wasn't just my failing eyesight.

OP - I'd love to read this review but the faded pink text is impossible to read easily without effort. Can you go back and change the text to something darker?

the font is fine, its the color--pink just does not work here---i did highlite with my mouse (but alot of people dont realize they can do that)

wonder how a Dec cruise to Alaska would be.......lol....

Hi Jan, thanks for th "highlighting" tip. It works worders. This Florida cracker would not want to do Alaska in Dec. :D

Ok folks.....you gave it to me pretty good! LOL I did have it coming. It was LATE and I'm cruising AGAIN on Dec 10th!! Sorry, sorry sorry

Here it is clearer darker blah blah blah

This was my second sailing on the Pearl and she was as lovely as before, with a very attentive crew. It was definitely a different type of cruise than the Carib. This cruise was more relaxed and laid back. Even the crew seemed more laid back.:rolleyes:

As usual, our every need was met and our every expectation was exceeded. This trip was with 5 dear friends that were brave enough to take me to cold weather!! Yes indeed it was cold and wet, but how could you really notice with the amazing scenery and things that we saw! To experience the Inside Passage with American Eagles flying by leaves me without words to express.

The ships high standard of cleanliness was as evident as ever. Everywhere you go are crew members diligently attending to every detail.

We arrived at the pier in Seattle about 12:30 and with our pre-registration in hand we sailed so quickly thru check-in I hardly remember stopping for the picture! As I've said before in my reviews, the key really is to come as early as you can. The lines are shorter and things move quickly. As the day passes and more people arrive, it will require a bit of a wait, but not a long one. Suite and above folks have a private check-in, and Latitudes members can process quickly as well. Be sure to PRE REGISTER online and that will save you some time at the counter.

Making dinner reservations are very easy. In cruises past I could only book a day or two in advance, but this cruise allowed me to book my entire weeks worth of reservations in on shot! That is a dream when you are making dinner plans for a group of 6. Reservations were available most everywhere with the exception of Le Bistro and Teppenyaki. Those two places filled up fast. So make your selections for those early. Sometimes we had to juggle our times here and there, but the crew bends over backwards to accommodate you. I can't say enough about the food. We did the Garden Cafe for breakfast (free) and some lunches (free) but most dinners we dined at the specialty restaurants. WELL worth the added fee. Don't let those fees scare you off, it's TOTALLY worth it. I will say this, since this is an Alaskan cruise most folks won't venture out to the poolside buffet or the Grill Buffet in the back as they are outside. This fact makes the inside Garden Cafe Buffet PACKED. So plan on a bit more time to eat if you are dining there, and be patient for a table. The crew is vigilant about cleaning tables quickly and finding you a seat.

Things you MUST eat:

BBQ Pork Ribs, Dirty Noodles, Lamb Medallions - Lotus Garden Restaurant

Escargo, and anything on the menu - Le Bistro

Lobster, monster shrimp cocktail - Cagney's

Chocolate Buffet - Watch your FreeStyle Daily:cool:

The spa prices are pricey as always. But watch your Freestyle Daily for specials. Also physically GO to the spa and talk to the spa crew. They will work special combo deals for you that are listed on the menu of services. Best Spa Deals: the 10/20/30 plan - 10% off first treatment, 20% of 2nd, 30% off third...combine those with bartering at the counter for a freebie. The other thing I would HIGHLY recommend is the Spa Pass. You pay a flat rate (was $119 per person for the 7 day cruise) and you have access to the mineral baths, hydrotherapy pools, sauna, steam room, stone therapy lounges, cold plunge and the private locker area for the entire cruise. You also have access to the very restful lounge area that sits at the very FRONT of the ship with full glass panoramic views out the bow. Likely my only complaint this cruise was that there was some paint peeling in the hydrotherapy pool.

The entertainment was fun, but I sure miss the Jean Ann Ryan Company. It seems the Pearl is handling it's own "stage show" performances now and they simply don't have the edge that the JARCo did. This is not to say its a bad show...it was enjoyable, but just not the Vegas quality that I've enjoyed in the past. SharkBait Duo was outstanding! The Bliss Ultra Lounge is amazing, be sure to see it. Not to mention you can go bowling ($5 per person, per game). I have to say I'm not thrilled now that the Spinnaker Lounge is "family" til all hours now. Before underage kids were allowed til 10pm then asked to leave the club to the adults. Now they are allowed until closing at midnight. From there the party would move to Bliss until their closing at 2am. However, since the Spinnaker is at the front of the ship and the Bliss is at the back, most folks seem to simply call it a night and find their cabins.

Watch your Freestyle Daily for specials in the Duty Free Shop. Great deals on liquor on certain days, plus free tastings! Always, always, ALWAYS mention you are a Latitudes member and get an additional 10-20% off anything you purchase in the shopping area. Just cuz it says Latitudes on your card, doesn't mean you'll get the discount. So ASK for it

Most favorite crew members: Annalissa in the Lotus Garden and Gede in the Java City Cafe (ask to see the 7 ball juggling act). Another all time favorite is Carlos the Concierge. Even though we weren't in suites, he always took the time to say hello.

The highlight had to be the cruise of Glacier Bay National Park. The captain gave us plenty of time on both sides of the ship to view the Glaciers. We saw otters, seals, porpoises and WHALES! We even saw a large chunk of glacier fall into the bay with a thunderous crash!!

I used a great local tour operator in Juneau. If you want the name, just ask and I’ll post it. What a wonderful organization!! They were prompt in replying to my emails and were more than happy to work a special arrangement for my group of 6. They were scheduled to pick us up right at the dock, but we got a wild hair to walk into town first. I phoned them to say we'd be walking around but would head back to the dock and they said "no way! Have fun! Where are you and we will come to you! " So they met us at a location in town and took us to the airfield. It was about a 30 min van ride away from the dock. At the facility, we were briefed and weighed. Yep weighed, as they arrange seating in the copter by size and weight. They also supply over garment rain gear and boots. So dress WARM and LAYER, and then they will fit you with rain gear. SPECTACULAR trip!! The helicopter ride was FANTASTIC and the dog sled adventure was truly once in a life time! Everyone in our party had a turn at driving the team. These people love Alaska, and their jobs, and treat the dogs like they are real children.

In Skagway I took a day van excursion with a local woman that has started up her own touring company. Let me know if you want their contact information. She partners with her son, so depending on your group size will determine who you go with. Smaller groups in Becky's SUV and larger ones in Kev's big van. What a fun day!! Becky or Kevin will spend SEVERAL emails talking with you about what you want to see. Is wildlife your thing? Hidden bays? Gold? The Yukon? Wanna see it all? They will custom design a tour from 3-6 hours for you and your group. The best part is as you are traveling along, you'll hear historical and hysterical accounts of the history and lore of the Yukon Territory.

In Ketchikan I used another local company. Wow what great folks! Picked us up right at the dock and took us about the 20 min ride to the harbor where their planes are. We were welcomed and seated in our plane and off for the Misty Fjords!! It's breathtaking!!! We landed in the water near a remote island and were blessed with seeing several Alaska Black Bears feasting on the spawning salmon. The pilot let us take our time and didn't rush us at all. Now there was one black bear that wanted to rush us and gave us the evil eye, but we kept our distance. This is the real wilds of Alaska folks!!

Our excursion to Butchart Gardens was the one ships tour we took. I have to say it was awesome and a well organized and well oiled machine. We got right off the boat, and were directed to our motor coach. The Gourmet Picnic was delicious!! Although I must say, considering we didn't’t arrive in Victoria until 6pm, if I had to do it over again…I would eat on the ship and spend the extra hour wandering the Gardens. There simply wasn't’t enough time. The musically coordinated fireworks display was lovely! The tour guide was wonderful and gave us a driving tour of Victoria on the way back to the ship

One thing we did this cruise that I've never done before was to take advantage of the BAGS program. It is AWESOME! You pay $20 per person to enroll in BAGS. The night before, just like everyone else you put your luggage outside your cabin. Now, in the morning as you are leaving, everyone else will have to wait their turn in line to get off the ship, go wait in line at customs, and fetch their luggage. Then drag them to a cab, drag them to check-in at the airport ,and FINALLY your hours as a pack mule are over! BUT if you enrolled in BAGS you can get off the ship anytime you want, walk past the customs line and right out to the taxi stand. You simply walk to your gate at the airport and get on the plane. For your $20 the BAGS folks will automatically take your luggage to the airport, check it for you, and you won't see it again until you arrive home. They will even print your boarding passes off for you, and deliver them to your cabin the night before. Well worth the $20 and made NCL's usual disembarkation day even more care free!

The whole experience was awesome. If you want to know anything specific, I'm happy to answer questions! :D

Excellent redo - very easy read. When I tried highlighting the first post the highlight was blue with light pink typing so just read it as originally posted. Your second posting is great.

I've been on the Pearl 3 times including a trip to Alaska and really enjoyed your review.

You included lots of helpful information for future cruisers.

We did the bags program once and it worked out great. Wish it was available for Jet Blue out of Long Beach but I don't think they participate.

I see you are on the Epic in December - have a wonderful cruise. We loved the Epic.

Great entertainment, loved our stern balcony wave stateroom, loved the various food options. Don't miss the Noodle Bar - it's wonderful.

Excellent redo - very easy read. When I tried highlighting the first post the highlight was blue with light pink typing so just read it as originally posted. Your second posting is great.

I've been on the Pearl 3 times including a trip to Alaska and really enjoyed your review.

You included lots of helpful information for future cruisers.

We did the bags program once and it worked out great. Wish it was available for Jet Blue out of Long Beach but I don't think they participate.

I see you are on the Epic in December - have a wonderful cruise. We loved the Epic.

Great entertainment, loved our stern balcony wave stateroom, loved the various food options. Don't miss the Noodle Bar - it's wonderful.

Hi Karen!

Thank you and lesson learned!! LOL

I'm solo on the Epic so going to try the single rooms. They are inside on deck 11 with a common living room. We'll see!!

Thanks for the tip on the Noodle Bar! I hear you can make reservations online 45 days out, so I'm looking forward to that!

Best to you! :D

Thank you for redoing it. Loved your review!!! I have been wanting to do this but the funds just are not there yet. Maybe someday.

Find the money and make the time. My husband passed away last year and I only wish we would have 'gone' more. He would have loved Alaska!

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by every moment that takes your breath away.”

Find the money and make the time. My husband passed away last year and I only wish we would have 'gone' more. He would have loved Alaska!

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by every moment that takes your breath away.”

Thanks for reminding us that every day is a precious gift, and we need to make the most of them. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Looking forward to your review of the single cabins on the Epic.

Thanks for reminding us that every day is a precious gift, and we need to make the most of them. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Looking forward to your review of the single cabins on the Epic.

Hi Deb!

I will definitely post an Epic review, and hopefully with the right date! :eek: I'm also thinking of sneaking in a cruise on the Sky over Halloween.

I'm guessing you live in Hawaii?? I want to do the Pride of America island hop cruise someday.

Best to you! :D

Thanks for the review! DH and I are heading to Alaska next summer, though not with NCL. What companies did you book with in Skagway and Ketchikan? They sound like places we'd be interested in looking into.

In Skagway I went with BeyondSkagwayTours. They have a website, just add the dot com. Becky is a wonderful woman and has an SUV that will seat 4 adults and 2 kids. Or she'll hook you up with her son "Klondike Kevin" that has a van that will seat 8 adults. You can customize exactly what you want to do, and they will set up a 3-6 hour excursion for you. Pay cash at the end.

In Ketchikan I went with AlaskaSeaPlaneTours. They also have website. Truly nice folks, professional, friendly and they love what they do. You will pay in full, in advance, but they have a very liberal refund policy should you need to cancel.

NOTE: Anytime with ANY tour operator that you book an excursion in Alaska that includes flying, such as helicopter or seaplane please be aware that you have a good 50% chance of the excursion being canceled due to flight conditions. This is the same with the cruise ship organized excursions as well. Weather conditions are extremely unpredictable in Alaska, so be sure to have a "plan B" in place.

Be sure to tell Becky and the Alaska Sea Plane bunch that Tonette and the BeadBabe crew say hello! :D

Mir....I gotz skillz baybeez! :cool: Wish I knew how to get hold of a sysop to change my thread title. :confused:

Serious skillz girl! Quite the team we will be organizing the REAL December 10, 2011 cruise:D

Now, anyway that you can make it like, say, April upon my return from our cruise ... You seem pretty good at moving time forward;)

Serious skillz girl! Quite the team we will be organizing the REAL December 10, 2011 cruise:D

Now, anyway that you can make it like, say, April upon my return from our cruise ... You seem pretty good at moving time forward;)

Hey I'm retired...leave me alone! :cool: Better luck, quit your job and come with me!!! :D

Archived