Volendam to Alaska review Aug. 31/11

Waryman

Wow! not good at all! what a shame. We loved that ship when we were on it. Probably a good idea to email Joanie (the stickey at the top of the page) and let her know about this room so others don't have your experience.

That's a shame. Welcome home:)

Wow, this is the total opposite to our Volendam cruise last year. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience and stunned that things could have changed so drastically in a year. We had the best service, the best crew and great food. (After 5 HAL cruises the Volendam remains my favourite ship.) Also we had good weather but no one has control over that:rolleyes: I hope you passed on your complaints about the noise above your cabin, and thanks for the warning.

We were on the same cruise and had a different experience--except the weather and waves, which no one can control. Our cabin was on the Main deck (2) oceanview. Three adults and worked great! When there was some HVAC noise I went and received ear plugs from the front office. That was all we needed to blend the outside noise at night.

We were impressed with the food. Grilled Coho Salmon as a daily entree! That IS wild salmon!! One night things were a bit underwhelming, but overall, very edible and second formal night Surf and Turf was GREAT! Service was Very, Very Good through out the cruise........all staff (stateroom, Lido, MDR, Canaletto) were very helpful!

Disappointments for us were not going into Tracy Arm at all.............resulting in being in Juneau an hour and a half early. Still don't know why HAL puts itinieraries together that they don't stick to. Talked to the Capt. and tides and ice were not factors in that decision.

Faced two nights of serious wave action. First night was the second night of the cruise and the activities director told people the waves were from an earthquake near us. It was in the Aleutians.........we were not, and the waves were not from the Earthquake! The second night of wild weather was the second to last night and that was a freak storm that really put the ship through her paces! 75 mph winds over the bow and BIG swells. The dessert extravaganza was trying to happen. One person in our party saw waves generated in the Lido pool wash over the top of the dolphin statues--that's some serious wave action from the sea! But neither of those weather events are under our control and all made it through okay---some a little bit more unusual colors and earlier enforced dieting than others on the ship!!

Overall it was a good cruise......felt the Frans Hal lounge was delightful and much more intimate than some showrooms. Not many complaints here!

Just returned last week from 7 day Alaska cruise (Inside Passage). Review is here.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=88452.

i was on the 8/31 volendam alaskian cruise. i am sorry that your experience was so bad. we had the opposite experience. we had good service, very good food, and a great time. we had hoped for more sunshine but i think that is the Captain's fault. we just booked the amsterdam in june 2012. i hope you find better cruising in the future. kb

Archived