venting a bit re:Princess Air

ms_shell

Hubby and I are booked on the Aug. 2 sailing of the Tahitian Princess, with Princess air arrangements. RT to Papeete direct through the airline is running about $4000 US and Princess is $819, so that was a no-brainer.

We weren't going to do a pre-cruise stay, but then I found a great deal on a room at le Meridien, and contacted my TA to handle the air deviation with Princess. Her first call to Princess confirmed they do have seats available on flights on 7/31, but when she called back to confirm with them, she was told there are no seats available on flights on 7/30, 7/31 or 8/1.

However, if we wanted to book our pre-stay through them, (at the Intercontinental) we could get on any flight we want!

I feel taken advantage of by Princess, and this will cost us an additional several hundred dollars. We really feel they have us over the barrel, because the flight they have us booked on gets us in to Papeete at 8:30 p.m. the first night of the cruise. So our choice is to pay their over-inflated prices for a pre-stay or give up the first day of our cruise.

I hate to complain, and I'm sure we'll have a lovely time at the Intercontinental and on our cruise, but I'm just a little frustrated with Princess today!

I don't think this is going to make you feel any better, but the reason they have available flights with a pre-cruise stay (and not without one) is that they book blocks of seats on both a charter flights and commercial flights which correspond to the cruise and land package dates. They have a certain number of seats assigned to the pre-cruise packages, and a certain number for the day of cruise Princess Air packages. Only if they have sold all the packages and have seats left, can they offer you those seats on the earlier date. That is why booking your own air would have cost you $3200 more. Late cruise bookings sometimes cannot even get Princess Air.

Since the no brainer air fare of $800 vs. $4000 saved you $3200, perhaps you can see it as $800+ hotel cost= better than $3200 + bargain hotel rate?

Cheryl, that's a nice way to look at it, and I have a much better attitude about it today. There's nothing I can do about it, so I might as well not worry about the extra money, and just enjoy the trip I've looked forward to my whole life.

Laurie, I know that ATN does run specials, but I'm afraid that they won't come out until after our final payment is due. Plus, we are using bonus miles to get to LA, so we need to know the LAX connections as far in advance as possible. Also the special at le Meridien may not be available by then, and it is payable up front and non-refundable. It's just too risky, to hope that everything works out, so I've gone ahead and booked with Princess, but you can be sure I'll be checking for specials every day until our final payment is due next month!

ms_shell -- just came back from the TP and had a one-night pre-cruise stay at the Sofitel and 2-night post-cruise stay at the Intercontinental. But we did this on our own and not thru Princess. Both properties were just awesome!!! Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to eat at the Intercontinental though! If you're able to, go for the pre- or post-cruise stay. The people that used Princess air with no pre- or post-cruise stays looked miserable. One complaint I heard was that it would have been nice if Princess had a tour available on the day of disembarkation, to keep people occupied that day.

We were going to book Princess air to London in June. When we contacted them they were very honest in telling us that thier routings would require at least one and possibly two plane changes. We booked British Air Detroit-London direct for a minimal amount more.

Well...got a big shock today. I had my TA hold the pre-cruise add on the other day, and called her to confirm today. She called me back a few minutes later, and said that now it is possible to do the air deviation to arrive 2 days early!

So I am getting to take advantage of the great deal at le Meridien after all.

Seems there is a seperate computer system at Princess Air for Tahiti, and whoever she talked to the other day was too lazy to get into that system.

Typical Princess...each time you call you get a different answer!

This may sound stupid, but what is "Princess Air"? Do they have specific airlines to specific destinations? Or do they just book with whatever airline has the least expensive rates at that time? We're flying Princess Air to Alaska in June and I have absolutely no idea what airline we'll be flying with! I would really like to check on luggage limitations ect. - Thanks

"Princess Air" only means that Princess is booking your air, and you won't know your airline or schedule until about 30 days before your cruise. They do what they call "bulk ticketing", meaning that they purchase blocks of seats on whatever airlines give them the cheapest rates.

Archived