MSC Splendida - Nice Ship, Terrible Food

OneNewTexan

I don't think Pmacher has ever cruised on the Splendida. In his previous posts on the forum he has never indicated if and when he took a cruise on any MSC ship. The other two anti-MSC CC members who come on the forum with additional negative comments when anyone posts of an unsatisfactory MSC cruise both had each a seven night Caribbean cruise, one in 2009 and the other in early 2010. It would be worth hearing Pmacher's MSC cruise experience.

Sorry, my bad, by a mistake I mixed Pmacher and OneNewTexan. And I must say, if the Yacht Club is overpriced and the food isn't good enough for our American fellow cruisers it might be better for them to sail on the "American" lines. Then they can have burgers and hot dogs just as in their own backyard ;) Happy cruising :)

I don't think Pmacher has ever cruised on the Splendida. In his previous posts on the forum he has never indicated if and when he took a cruise on any MSC ship. The other two anti-MSC CC members who come on the forum with additional negative comments when anyone posts of an unsatisfactory MSC cruise both had each a seven night Caribbean cruise, one in 2009 and the other in early 2010. It would be worth hearing Pmacher's MSC cruise experience.

I confess. I have only been on one MSC cruise. That was one too many for me. But if you read my posts here, all I have done is:

1. Pointed out that the Yacht Club, good though it may be, is not in any way like the standard MSC cruise and is priced more like the 6 star lines.

2. In response to the suggestion that "americans' are unique in their low opinion of MSC food I posted the UK CC Cruisers Choice poll results for dining on all lines. The results clearly demonstrate that it is not only "americans" who think the MSC food is worse than its mass market competitors.

3. Reply to silly attacks on what I have written.

I find it ironic that one poster is complaining about Italians being offended at the suggestion that the food is edible, while the next then insults anyone who is fine with the food.

Far from being objective, it just appears that certain posters have a grudge or other malicious intent.

Could you please specify which poster is "complaining" about Italians being offended at the suggestion the food is edible. I mentioned that some Italians might be offended by the insistent claim of some that the gruel served by MSC is fine Italian cuisine. That is not a complaint about Italians.

Is it not objective to publish the results of the CC Cruisers Choice poll results? It is simply is a mathematical calculation of approximately 70,000 CC reviews. What is unobjective about these poll results? Do you think CC intentionally miscalulated the ratings or paid contributors to rate MSC so poorly? Who is being unobjective when they try to explain away these very clear results?

Sorry, my bad, by a mistake I mixed Pmacher and OneNewTexan. And I must say, if the Yacht Club is overpriced and the food isn't good enough for our American fellow cruisers it might be better for them to sail on the "American" lines. Then they can have burgers and hot dogs just as in their own backyard ;) Happy cruising :)

I never said the Yacht Club was overpriced. I said it was similarly priced to the luxury lines. I have no personal experience but have read some good reviews of the YC product, but it is not anything like the standard MSC cruise nor should it be for the money charged.

Your low opinion of American food tastes (hot dogs and hamburgers barb) may or may not be valid, but what matters here is how cruisers of any nationality view the food served aboard MSC ships. I posted the UK Cruisers Choice poll results showing Europeans rate it very poorly. Americans may just be following your advice to stay away from MSC if the US Cruisers Choice poll results on dining is any indication of the American opinion of MSC food. Here is the link to the US CC poll results on dining. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Dining&sort=Highest

There are 11 MSC ships on the list of approximately 190 ships. All of the 11 MSC ships are rated among the bottom 20 positions on the list! All 11 MSC ships are in the bottom 10% of the list! Four out of the lowest rated five ships are MSC. Is that also not objective?

First of all, I never said that you said that Yacht Club is overpriced. And as other posters have pointed out, the pricing is not similar to the much smaller luxuryliner ships. The yacht club concept is indeed very special, a small ship within a megaship with outstanding service and great food all the way. Well worth the extra money and they have plenty of repeaters and according to the crew an increasing number of Americans. Of course, the food in the ships MDR's is not up to that standard and it shouldn't be either. But I cruised in a regular cabin onboard the Fantasia last year and in my opinion the food was not bad at all. But varying. I have to admit that the buffet onboard the RCI Navigator Of The Seas in 2009 was of a better quality but the MDR's held the same standard regarding food and service. The thing I miss onboard MSC is the 24 hours cafeoption with sandwiches, pizzaslices etc. But MSC sees a steady increase in American guests so they must be doing some stuff right.

I would agree that neither Costa or MSC would appeal to the majority of North American and UK cruisers. Both lines are more suited to continental Europeans who seem to like cruising Italian style, but alas, very few are CC members so otherwise the ratings for both would probably be much higher. At the risk of offending some of my British cousins, while the UK is geographically in Europe and British citizens are members of the European Union, I think they are culturally and socially more like their American cousins. Aside from those who enjoy travelling and life on the Continent, the majority are set in their ways and tastes and find they don't like Italian food, customs, and manners (i.e. pushing, loud voices, uncontrolled kids, etc.) and that's why the MSC ratings on CC are low. Hey, generally speaking Italians, especially southern Italians, are not very adaptable to different cuisines and life styles either, and consequently 90% of Italian cruisers only book Costa or MSC. p.s., I'm an American of Irish and English extractions, without a drop of Italian blood.

This is disappointing to hear as we were considering them for a 2013 return to Europe cruise. MSC has some awesome itineraries and are one of the very few lines that have already released their 2013 schedules.

Does MSC have alternative dining venues outside the Yacht Club?

Yes they do but it depends on the ship. Only Musica class & Fantasia class ships have them

I would agree that neither Costa or MSC would appeal to the majority of North American and UK cruisers. Both lines are more suited to continental Europeans who seem to like cruising Italian style, but alas, very few are CC members so otherwise the ratings for both would probably be much higher. At the risk of offending some of my British cousins, while the UK is geographically in Europe and British citizens are members of the European Union, I think they are culturally and socially more like their American cousins. Aside from those who enjoy travelling and life on the Continent, the majority are set in their ways and tastes and find they don't like Italian food, customs, and manners (i.e. pushing, loud voices, uncontrolled kids, etc.) and that's why the MSC ratings on CC are low. Hey, generally speaking Italians, especially southern Italians, are not very adaptable to different cuisines and life styles either, and consequently 90% of Italian cruisers only book Costa or MSC. p.s., I'm an American of Irish and English extractions, without a drop of Italian blood.

I'd agree with tHat sentiment. Many of my fellow Brits do not see themselves as Europeans at all and can be fairly inflexible when they travel overseas, perceiving anything different to what they experience as home as inferior, rather than just different. I'm proud to be Scottish & British and also consider myself to be European. I particularly enjoy the Southern European ways & cuisine, so for me MSC (& Costa) are a good "fit" for me but I know many Brits do not share that view, preferring UK or USA lines instead.

But MSC sees a steady increase in American guests so they must be doing some stuff right.

Not just US guests, growth overall.

And many food fans, and even specialty food cruises. Here's a coincidentally timed article for this discussion from today's paper: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/activity/cruises/michelin-stars-in-the-galley-20110915-1kaq9.html

Michelin starred chefs onboard, and still some people complain about the food...?!

Not just US guests, growth overall.

And many food fans, and even specialty food cruises. Here's a coincidentally timed article for this discussion from today's paper: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/activity/cruises/michelin-stars-in-the-galley-20110915-1kaq9.html

Michelin starred chefs onboard, and still some people complain about the food...?!

That is a celebrity Chef cruise, they don't work on the ships all the time.

It would be great if they did, MSC has a lot to offer if they can get the galleys correct.

Think you knew that someone would object. Im British and your view of British food and British tastes is somewhat outdated. The UK had 12 of the worlds top rated 50 restaurants. Italian restaurants are everywhere and are second in popularity to Indian restaurants. If us Brits are going out to eat in a group, I would say the one food type that you can gaurentee the majority enjoy is Italian, not just Pizza but real Italian food and most of us cook Italian food at home. I do agree that us Brits do not like people who push in, are overly noisy or have uncontrolled kids. I cannot believe any nationality would actually enjoy this, tolerate maybe but enjoy that experience on their holiday? I have never been on a MSC cruise but have enough awareness from boards such as this that generally MSC score very low on food and for that reason would not touch them.

Think you knew that someone would object. Im British and your view of British food and British tastes is somewhat outdated. The UK had 12 of the worlds top rated 50 restaurants. Italian restaurants are everywhere and are second in popularity to Indian restaurants. If us Brits are going out to eat in a group, I would say the one food type that you can guarentee the majority enjoy is Italian, not just Pizza but real Italian food and most of us cook Italian food at home. I do agree that us Brits do not like people who push in, are overly noisy or have uncontrolled kids. I cannot believe any nationality would actually enjoy this, tolerate maybe but enjoy that experience on their holiday? I have never been on a MSC cruise but have enough awareness from boards such as this that generally MSC score very low on food and for that reason would not touch them.

Oh, I'll agree that British food has improved considerably over the past 30 or so years and whenever I'm in the UK I thoroughly enjoy eating it. I'm loath to go into one of your Italian restaurants though because everytime I've tried Italian food outside of Italy it's been a delusion. Even though the cook may be Italian his product is limited and tuned to local tastes, plus he can't always get the fresh ingredients necessary to create the same flavours as the same item would have back home. I have many well-travelled Italian friends who confirm this for me. My rule of thumb is to do as the Romans, i.e. when I'm in Delhi I eat Indian, when I'm in Istanbul I eat Turkish. This way I may or may not enjoy my meal but at least I can say I tried the local cuisine.

Just to further reassure anyone who may be worried I read with interest a post by Jazz musician on our roll call - his CC name is "cruiseguyinorl" It is also important to note that he has sailed on Poesia before and he has booked 250 of his Jazz friends on this cruise. Hardly something he would do if his view wasn't complimentary.......here is his post

""As for the dining, that always is a rather heated debate. Here's a good example. One night I ordered a fish dish (don't remember what kind of fish) and thought how tasty, well-cooked and flakey it was. I saw one of our musicians at the next table order the same thing. Not more than an hour later I heard him talking about how it was dry with no taste. Kind of blew my mind. Is it that subjective or could his have been that different?

Overall, I find the food more than acceptable. Folks have to go in with an open mind and remember they are not paying Crystal prices. I personally had a conversation with Rick Sasso (CEO of MSC in North America) in which he told me that all of their food is ordered from the same vendor as Celebrity Cruises. Some in fact they even upgrade. So the issue is not with the quality."""

I dont think your objective at all - :p

MSC have built new ships continually - 5 new ships in the past 6 years and another new one to come next year. Do you think they do this because there isnt a demand. They have the capacity to carry 29,873 passengers per week !!!!!!! One or two bleaters hardy constitues a bad reputation.

With so many wonderful cruises to so many wonderful places I'm happy to be a MSC fan

A few interesting MSC stats

- 187 wines and 159 cocktails are offered each day on board

- 14 menus & 16 bar lists are proposed each day on Fantasia class ships

- 2000 different recipes are used on a 7 day cruise

- 44 million meals are served per year to our passengers

(plus 11 million for our crew!)

These absolute numbers are meaningless on the issue of MSC's food quality. Here are some numbers from the CC Cruisers' Choice poll which are a lot more important in deciding whether the food on board MSC ships is good compared to its competition. One man's opinion may not be worthy of much credibility, but the mathematical calculation of over 70,000 opinions is something people in the market for a cruise ought not to ignor. The 11 MSC ships mentioned in the CC poll all are rated in the bottom 10% in the dining category. All 11 ships.

Dining Ratings

Sort by: Highest Rated Ships First

SeaDream I 5.2

Black Watch 5.1

Crystal Symphony 5.1

Seabourn Legend 5.1

Paul Gauguin 5.0

Marina 4.9

Seven Seas Mariner 4.9

Prince Albert II 4.9

Insignia 4.8

Azamara Journey 4.8

Crystal Serenity 4.8

Seabourn Odyssey 4.7

Nautica 4.7

Celebrity Equinox 4.7

Seabourn Spirit 4.7

Regatta 4.7

Silver Wind 4.6

Azamara Quest 4.6

Celebrity Eclipse 4.6

Pacific Princess 4.6

Viking Century Sun 4.5

Eurodam 4.5

Celebrity Xpedition 4.5

Thomson Destiny 4.5

Wind Surf 4.5

Nieuw Amsterdam 4.5

Carnival Miracle 4.5

Oceana 4.5

Thomson Celebration 4.5

Celebrity Solstice 4.4

Silver Whisper 4.4

Silver Shadow 4.4

Seabourn Pride 4.4

Disney Magic 4.4

Celebrity Century 4.4

Serenade of the Seas 4.4

Thomson Dream 4.4

Oasis of the Seas 4.4

Carnival Legend 4.4

Maasdam 4.4

Carnival Conquest 4.4

Carnival Valor 4.4

Adventure of the Seas 4.4

Star Flyer 4.4

Noordam 4.3

Oosterdam 4.3

Silver Spirit 4.3

Carnival Inspiration 4.3

Enchantment of the Seas 4.3

Seabourn Sojourn 4.3

Ventura 4.3

Freedom of the Seas 4.3

Rhapsody of the Seas 4.3

Celebrity Constellation 4.3

Volendam 4.3

Mariner of the Seas 4.3

Seven Seas Navigator 4.3

Celebrity Infinity 4.3

Celebrity Silhouette 4.3

Carnival Magic 4.3

Allure of the Seas 4.3

Grandeur of the Seas 4.3

Amsterdam 4.3

Zuiderdam 4.3

Zaandam 4.3

Celebrity Millennium 4.3

Sea Princess 4.3

Westerdam 4.3

Celebrity Summit 4.3

Thomson Spirit 4.3

Coral Princess 4.3

Midnatsol 4.3

Radiance of the Seas 4.3

Avalon Tapestry 4.3

Liberty of the Seas 4.2

Sun Princess 4.2

Carnival Triumph 4.2

Statendam 4.2

Veendam 4.2

Carnival Glory 4.2

Caribbean Princess 4.2

Carnival Splendor 4.2

Seven Seas Voyager 4.2

Explorer of the Seas 4.2

Viking Pride 4.2

Diamond Princess 4.2

Voyager of the Seas 4.2

Silver Cloud 4.2

Emerald Princess 4.2

Tahitian Princess 4.2

Legend of the Seas 4.2

Queen Victoria 4.2

Prinsendam 4.2

Carnival Imagination 4.2

Golden Princess 4.2

Wind Spirit 4.2

Balmoral 4.2

Braemar 4.2

Carnival Pride 4.2

Ruby Princess 4.2

Ryndam 4.2

Jewel of the Seas 4.2

Navigator of the Seas 4.2

Grand Princess 4.2

Carnival Dream 4.2

Royal Clipper 4.2

Rotterdam 4.2

Star Princess 4.2

Carnival Ecstasy 4.2

Norwegian Epic 4.2

Island Princess 4.1

Carnival Spirit 4.1

Azura 4.1

Sapphire Princess 4.1

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) 4.1

Disney Dream 4.1

Independence of the Seas 4.1

Splendour of the Seas 4.1

Carnival Elation 4.1

Majesty of the Seas 4.1

Carnival Fantasy 4.1

Monarch of the Seas 4.1

Carnival Freedom 4.1

Dawn Princess 4.1

Carnival Destiny 4.1

Carnival Liberty 4.1

Carnival Victory 4.1

Oriana 4.1

Vision of the Seas 4.1

Disney Wonder 4.1

Crown Princess 4.1

Carnival Sensation 4.1

Viking Sun 4.1

Queen Elizabeth 4.0

Ocean Countess 4.0

Norwegian Jewel 4.0

Carnival Paradise 4.0

Brilliance of the Seas 4.0

Carnival Fascination 4.0

Norwegian Pearl 4.0

Boudicca 4.0

Arcadia 4.0

Wind Star 4.0

Bahamas Celebration 4.0

Aurora 3.9

Norwegian Dawn 3.9

Pacific Jewel 3.9

Norwegian Wind 3.9

Norwegian Crown 3.9

Norwegian Spirit 3.8

Norwegian Star 3.8

Norwegian Gem 3.8

Ocean Princess 3.8

Norwegian Jade 3.8

Norwegian Sun 3.8

SuperStar Virgo 3.8

Island Escape 3.7

Norwegian Sky 3.7

Costa Deliziosa 3.6

Pacific Dawn 3.6

Costa Mediterranea 3.6

Aegean Odyssey 3.6

Costa Victoria 3.6

Pride of America 3.6

Costa Atlantica 3.5

Discovery 3.5

Costa Allegra 3.5

Costa Romantica 3.5

Marco Polo 3.5

Fram 3.5

Costa Fortuna 3.5

MSC Armonia 3.4

MSC Sinfonia 3.4

MSC Orchestra 3.3

Costa Serena 3.3

MSC Fantasia 3.3

Costa Magica 3.2

Costa Pacifica 3.2

Costa Classica 3.2

MSC Lirica 3.2

MSC Magnifica 3.1

MSC Splendida 3.1

Pacific Pearl 3.1

Pride of Aloha 3.1

Pacific Sun 3.1

Costa Concordia 3.0

MSC Opera 2.9

Costa Luminosa 2.9

MSC Poesia 2.9

MSC Melody 2.8

MSC Musica 2.8

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Dining&sort=Highest

pixel.gif

Don't confuse volume with quality, Mcdonalds advertises billions and billions served, but I don't consider it quality either.

Don't confuse volume with quality, Mcdonalds advertises billions and billions served, but I don't consider it quality either.

So the majority of cruisecritic's members/ratings are from US cruisers, and McDonalds is a fast food business originated and focussed and grown massively from US food preferences.

Just as Mickey D's isn't as popular in all countries around the world as it is in the US, all that's shown by this ranking is MSC's and Costa's (who operate quite similarly) food isn't popular with American diets. That doesn't mean it's bad food - just not popular with US palates. But as you've shown with the McD's sample, even though McD's is popular in the US, it also doesn't mean that everyone there likes them, or dislikes them either.

The other thing is when you look at that ranking, the other ships (grouped into lines) who rates above those two are from lines which are based around US passengers.

So all that's really showing me is other lines cater to US passengers, and therefore their tastes, and are therefore more popular with US passengers. Whereas Euro lines which cater to Euro passengers aren't as popular with US passengers.

But since we don't all love the same food, as you pointed out, there's nothing really groundbreaking in that outcome.

and we all know that only Cruise Critic polls count !!!!!! geeez get real - there are more places in the world than cruise critic and more opinions in the world than a CC Poll !!!!!

Can you point to any other poll or survey that would contravene the results of the CruiseCritic Cruisers Choice poll? There is of course the UK version of the Cruisers Choice poll, but the results there are similar to the US poll - all 11 MSC ships are rated in the bottom 15% of all 200+ ships.

Is there something phoney about these polls? Isn't 70,000 contributors a sufficient number to get reliable results? Is the poll skewed in some manner? Who needs to get real? The people who cite the poll or the people who pooh pooh it as insignificant?

all that's shown by this ranking is MSC's and Costa's (who operate quite similarly) food isn't popular with American diets. That doesn't mean it's bad food - just not popular with US palates.

That all depends on how you define the word "is". Look, the food on MSC may not be "bad", but INDISPUTABLY it is not as good as the food served by the competition.

The other thing is when you look at that ranking, the other ships (grouped into lines) who rates above those two are from lines which are based around US passengers.

So all that's really showing me is other lines cater to US passengers, and therefore their tastes, and are therefore more popular with US passengers. Whereas Euro lines which cater to Euro passengers aren't as popular with US passengers.

Not sure which lines you include in the "Euro" category, but we are talking about MSC here and so I assume you mean to identify it as a "Euro" line. Can you substantiate your claim that MSC is rated higher with "euro" passsengers than other lines of any category? The UK Cruises Choice poll would tend to undermine your claim. All MSC ship finished in the bottom 15% of all rated ships.

So sorry to hear you didnt enjoy every aspect of your cruise, I am boarding The Splendida in January 2012 (1st time on MSC). I am trying to keep an open mind and if all else fails in the dining area, Im hoping that the rest of the cruise will still make it worthwhile for what we paid :)

and we all know that only Cruise Critic polls count !!!!!! geeez get real - there are more places in the world than cruise critic and more opinions in the world than a CC Poll !!!!!

And there are more cruise lines in the world than MSC. Maybe you should have at least one other cruise line experience under your belt before you project 'worldly' or broadly experienced pronouncements.:rolleyes:

These absolute numbers are meaningless on the issue of MSC's food quality. Here are some numbers from the CC Cruisers' Choice poll which are a lot more important in deciding whether the food on board MSC ships is good compared to its competition. One man's opinion may not be worthy of much credibility, but the mathematical calculation of over 70,000 opinions is something people in the market for a cruise ought not to ignor. The 11 MSC ships mentioned in the CC poll all are rated in the bottom 10% in the dining category. All 11 ships.

Dining Ratings

Sort by: Highest Rated Ships First

SeaDream I 5.2

Black Watch 5.1

Crystal Symphony 5.1

Seabourn Legend 5.1

Paul Gauguin 5.0

Marina 4.9

Seven Seas Mariner 4.9

Prince Albert II 4.9

Insignia 4.8

Azamara Journey 4.8

Crystal Serenity 4.8

Seabourn Odyssey 4.7

Nautica 4.7

Celebrity Equinox 4.7

Seabourn Spirit 4.7

Regatta 4.7

Silver Wind 4.6

Azamara Quest 4.6

Celebrity Eclipse 4.6

Pacific Princess 4.6

Viking Century Sun 4.5

Eurodam 4.5

Celebrity Xpedition 4.5

Thomson Destiny 4.5

Wind Surf 4.5

Nieuw Amsterdam 4.5

Carnival Miracle 4.5

Oceana 4.5

Thomson Celebration 4.5

Celebrity Solstice 4.4

Silver Whisper 4.4

Silver Shadow 4.4

Seabourn Pride 4.4

Disney Magic 4.4

Celebrity Century 4.4

Serenade of the Seas 4.4

Thomson Dream 4.4

Oasis of the Seas 4.4

Carnival Legend 4.4

Maasdam 4.4

Carnival Conquest 4.4

Carnival Valor 4.4

Adventure of the Seas 4.4

Star Flyer 4.4

Noordam 4.3

Oosterdam 4.3

Silver Spirit 4.3

Carnival Inspiration 4.3

Enchantment of the Seas 4.3

Seabourn Sojourn 4.3

Ventura 4.3

Freedom of the Seas 4.3

Rhapsody of the Seas 4.3

Celebrity Constellation 4.3

Volendam 4.3

Mariner of the Seas 4.3

Seven Seas Navigator 4.3

Celebrity Infinity 4.3

Celebrity Silhouette 4.3

Carnival Magic 4.3

Allure of the Seas 4.3

Grandeur of the Seas 4.3

Amsterdam 4.3

Zuiderdam 4.3

Zaandam 4.3

Celebrity Millennium 4.3

Sea Princess 4.3

Westerdam 4.3

Celebrity Summit 4.3

Thomson Spirit 4.3

Coral Princess 4.3

Midnatsol 4.3

Radiance of the Seas 4.3

Avalon Tapestry 4.3

Liberty of the Seas 4.2

Sun Princess 4.2

Carnival Triumph 4.2

Statendam 4.2

Veendam 4.2

Carnival Glory 4.2

Caribbean Princess 4.2

Carnival Splendor 4.2

Seven Seas Voyager 4.2

Explorer of the Seas 4.2

Viking Pride 4.2

Diamond Princess 4.2

Voyager of the Seas 4.2

Silver Cloud 4.2

Emerald Princess 4.2

Tahitian Princess 4.2

Legend of the Seas 4.2

Queen Victoria 4.2

Prinsendam 4.2

Carnival Imagination 4.2

Golden Princess 4.2

Wind Spirit 4.2

Balmoral 4.2

Braemar 4.2

Carnival Pride 4.2

Ruby Princess 4.2

Ryndam 4.2

Jewel of the Seas 4.2

Navigator of the Seas 4.2

Grand Princess 4.2

Carnival Dream 4.2

Royal Clipper 4.2

Rotterdam 4.2

Star Princess 4.2

Carnival Ecstasy 4.2

Norwegian Epic 4.2

Island Princess 4.1

Carnival Spirit 4.1

Azura 4.1

Sapphire Princess 4.1

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) 4.1

Disney Dream 4.1

Independence of the Seas 4.1

Splendour of the Seas 4.1

Carnival Elation 4.1

Majesty of the Seas 4.1

Carnival Fantasy 4.1

Monarch of the Seas 4.1

Carnival Freedom 4.1

Dawn Princess 4.1

Carnival Destiny 4.1

Carnival Liberty 4.1

Carnival Victory 4.1

Oriana 4.1

Vision of the Seas 4.1

Disney Wonder 4.1

Crown Princess 4.1

Carnival Sensation 4.1

Viking Sun 4.1

Queen Elizabeth 4.0

Ocean Countess 4.0

Norwegian Jewel 4.0

Carnival Paradise 4.0

Brilliance of the Seas 4.0

Carnival Fascination 4.0

Norwegian Pearl 4.0

Boudicca 4.0

Arcadia 4.0

Wind Star 4.0

Bahamas Celebration 4.0

Aurora 3.9

Norwegian Dawn 3.9

Pacific Jewel 3.9

Norwegian Wind 3.9

Norwegian Crown 3.9

Norwegian Spirit 3.8

Norwegian Star 3.8

Norwegian Gem 3.8

Ocean Princess 3.8

Norwegian Jade 3.8

Norwegian Sun 3.8

SuperStar Virgo 3.8

Island Escape 3.7

Norwegian Sky 3.7

Costa Deliziosa 3.6

Pacific Dawn 3.6

Costa Mediterranea 3.6

Aegean Odyssey 3.6

Costa Victoria 3.6

Pride of America 3.6

Costa Atlantica 3.5

Discovery 3.5

Costa Allegra 3.5

Costa Romantica 3.5

Marco Polo 3.5

Fram 3.5

Costa Fortuna 3.5

MSC Armonia 3.4

MSC Sinfonia 3.4

MSC Orchestra 3.3

Costa Serena 3.3

MSC Fantasia 3.3

Costa Magica 3.2

Costa Pacifica 3.2

Costa Classica 3.2

MSC Lirica 3.2

MSC Magnifica 3.1

MSC Splendida 3.1

Pacific Pearl 3.1

Pride of Aloha 3.1

Pacific Sun 3.1

Costa Concordia 3.0

MSC Opera 2.9

Costa Luminosa 2.9

MSC Poesia 2.9

MSC Melody 2.8

MSC Musica 2.8

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Dining&sort=Highest

pixel.gif

Thanks for posting this ~ very interesting. Although I haven't been on all the ships listed :p:o, of the ones I have been on, the order is pretty much how I would put them (regarding food, not necessarily the entire cruise experience). MSC sometimes intrigues me because of their itineraries, but to see their ships listed lower than Costa Magica makes me really hesitate to ever cruise on them.

Thanks again.:)

So the majority of cruisecritic's members/ratings are from US cruisers, and McDonalds is a fast food business originated and focussed and grown massively from US food preferences.

Just as Mickey D's isn't as popular in all countries around the world as it is in the US, all that's shown by this ranking is MSC's and Costa's (who operate quite similarly) food isn't popular with American diets. That doesn't mean it's bad food - just not popular with US palates. But as you've shown with the McD's sample, even though McD's is popular in the US, it also doesn't mean that everyone there likes them, or dislikes them either.

But since we don't all love the same food, as you pointed out, there's nothing really groundbreaking in that outcome.

Italians don't like MSC all that much either:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.crocieristi.it%2Fshowthread.php%2F3066-Miglior-compagnia-crocieristica%3Fs%3D72fa70dad7ce55bfd983e30bab9e343f

They like RCCL and Costa, owned by carnival corp, two Mainstream US companies

Archived