What would happen if your flight....

Almost Packed

I do travel for the military & civilians and the Mexico warnings have been in place for a long time now. If it really was a problem they should have not booked the ship. If the warnings went into place after they booked they should have cancelled the trip all together. If they couldnt cancell then they should have just sucked it up that they were on a cruise and enjoyed a quiet day on the ship. Its all better than his commander making him cancel the cruise in the first place. You have to report if you are going out of the country and to where.

If the gov thinks a port isnt safe - I think the cruise line should follow that lead and bypass it too. I would rather be safe than put in harms way!!! You take a chance on any vacation when your in the military - they own you and if told not to go someplace you just dont go and dont complain either.

I do travel for the military & civilians and the Mexico warnings have been in place for a long time now. If it really was a problem they should have not booked the ship. If the warnings went into place after they booked they should have cancelled the trip all together. If they couldn't cancel then they should have just sucked it up that they were on a cruise and enjoyed a quiet day on the ship. Its all better than his commander making him cancel the cruise in the first place. You have to report if you are going out of the country and to where.

If the gov thinks a port isnt safe - I think the cruise line should follow that lead and bypass it too. I would rather be safe than put in harms way!!! You take a chance on any vacation when your in the military - they own you and if told not to go someplace you just dont go and dont complain either.

EXACTLY! That's why they didn't book that ship and port. The person booked another acceptable port that was OKAY for the man to travel to. thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, CCL changed ports after all of their flights etc. have been paid for. The family tried to change cruises btw but CCL would not even waive the $50 pp fee to do this.

but why is it acceptable to "just suck it up" ? i don't understand why one should have to just suck it up. That's not right.

I'm not just ranting about that one incident. It's about numerous things we give up in order to be on that ship. I fly for free all over the world. I choose to pay to be on that ship. I love cruising. I choose to be a customer of xyz cruiseline. I just don't think it's fair of them to be able to change the rules just because its in their rulebook. I know, it sounds oxymoronish (is that even a word? lol) but again, just because it's in the contract doesn't mean it's right.

If my airline decided to send you to another airport, you bet they will be responsible for getting you to that airport. you may have to wait until weather clears or whatever the incident is. But you'll get there. I doubt you would find yourself just sucking it up if you planned on flying to HNL and were stuck in HOU. Should you just suck that up?

Forget my analogy about an airline vs cruise. Just look at the fact that a cruise line can switch you from one cabin to another just because they want to make an extra $. Is that fair to you....the person who booked 18 months in advance for someone at the last minute to come in and swoop up your cabin because they have 3 people and you only have two. yep, you agreed to it when you paid for your cruise. it's in their rules. but it doesn't mean it's right, and it doesn't mean we should just roll over and take it.

nope, nobody puts a gun to my head and forces me to cruise. kind of a silly statement to make imo. however CCL's policy, is NOT clearly layed out. you do not receive your papers until after you have paid. and even so, we would not tolerate it in other industry. why is ok here?

once an amount has been agreed upon, it should not be changed. the point we all had a fit over the fuel surcharge is one reason why they are not charging it now. And I will not book while they are charging.

it's no difference than airlines charging for bag fees. just go ahead and make the price of the cruise whatever the price is. don't "sneak" in or mask the cost.

That's not true, the cruise contract must be agreed to before you pay.

YUP Mr Jamms you are correct! - Read before accepting!!!!

Then dont complain because you dont like the rules. You take any chance of not getting your $ back if you book ES. Dont book it if you cant afford to lose it. That goes for air and non refundable excursions or anything! Things HAPPEN.

Then dont complain because you dont like the rules. You take any chance of not getting your $ back if you book ES. Dont book it if you cant afford to lose it. That goes for air and non refundable excursions or anything! Things HAPPEN.

So what happens when the cruiseline changes your ports because they get "bumped" for non safety or weather issues - like CCL does when Half Moon Cay is taken over by Holland? It's not always for our safety that ports get changed, it can be for the cruiseline's convenience and bottom line too. Twenty four hours may not be enough time for someone to be notiifed to cancel, maybe 72 hrs or 96 hrs would be better?

I've read the contract rules, but I can complain and would rather see them more balanced, with some consumer rights thrown in. Right now, the contract doesn't just favor the cruiselines, it's written for solely for their protection and the heck with the consumer.

So many posters here are defending the cruiselines, and denouncing anyone questioning these anti consumer policies, and I thought this board was for consumers to educate themselves on how to best enjoy cruising. If that means revealing how unfair and biased the cruise contract is, then so be it.

Quoted for Truth.

When you purchase a cruise, you're agreeing with what the cruiseline sets in place. If they would rather change course to another port rather than risk several thousand lives on board then so be it. A handful of unhappy people is, in my opinion, a far better result than a cruiseship full of injured or dead.

People need to start reading their cruise documentation for the ins and outs of exactly what they are paying for, rather than wasting everybody else's time and complaining about it.

It's upsetting that the Military person could not disembark at the Mexican port but I am pretty sure they would rather stay on a ship for the day than end up sailing through a hurricane, only to spend a day on a port that is mostly closed due to the hurricane to start with.

So I book ES, get my docs for my sailing (not the generic ones but those that are generated with my contract with them)and I read them fully down to the last detail and I decide I don't agree with them.They give me a FULL refund then?:D

EXACTLY! That's why they didn't book that ship and port. The person booked another acceptable port that was OKAY for the man to travel to. thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, CCL changed ports after all of their flights etc. have been paid for. The family tried to change cruises btw but CCL would not even waive the $50 pp fee to do this.

but why is it acceptable to "just suck it up" ? i don't understand why one should have to just suck it up. That's not right.

My hubby spent 20 years on active duty with the USAF. Trust me, "Shut up and suck it up" is the unofficial motto of life in the military. Our very first year, DH got deployment orders the day before we were supposed to go on our delayed honeymoon. Did the military pay our lost deposits? No. And since we weren't officially at war (it was during the hostage crisis in Iran), the airlines weren't required to give any refunds. What did we do?

We sucked it up.

So I book ES, get my docs for my sailing (not the generic ones but those that are generated with my contract with them)and I read them fully down to the last detail and I decide I don't agree with them.They give me a FULL refund then?:D

Um, no.. you read everything down to the last detail before you book.

This is such an interesting thread to me. I am a full time activist. I spend over 40 hours of my week negotiating safe policies at the city, county, state and national level for my particular cause. I have a cruise planned so that I can get away from all the talks about what is and isn't fair.

It sounds like the OP wants to be a cruise advocate.. which is great. I'm the last person who would tell an activist not to use their voice. However, I think you've got your target audience wrong and you are missing effective strategy.

This is such an interesting thread to me. I am a full time activist. I spend over 40 hours of my week negotiating safe policies at the city, county, state and national level for my particular cause. I have a cruise planned so that I can get away from all the talks about what is and isn't fair.

It sounds like the OP wants to be a cruise advocate.. which is great. I'm the last person who would tell an activist not to use their voice. However, I think you've got your target audience wrong and you are missing effective strategy.

probably so....but yes, that's my point..one of many i suppose. the squeaky wheel gets the grease right? People are a bit upset at me and seem to think it's okay.

i wonder if they went to the hospital and the surgeon killed them. would the family sue? i'm sure they signed a waiver in advance.

So what happens when the cruiseline changes your ports because they get "bumped" for non safety or weather issues - like CCL does when Half Moon Cay is taken over by Holland? It's not always for our safety that ports get changed, it can be for the cruiseline's convenience and bottom line too. Twenty four hours may not be enough time for someone to be notiifed to cancel, maybe 72 hrs or 96 hrs would be better?

I've read the contract rules, but I can complain and would rather see them more balanced, with some consumer rights thrown in. Right now, the contract doesn't just favor the cruiselines, it's written for solely for their protection and the heck with the consumer.

So many posters here are defending the cruiselines, and denouncing anyone questioning these anti consumer policies, and I thought this board was for consumers to educate themselves on how to best enjoy cruising. If that means revealing how unfair and biased the cruise contract is, then so be it.

yea, what you said!

that's odd...because my first cruise in 2007 i called on the phone and booked a cruise....and then they mailed me my docs and with it was my contract. then i got to read it for the first time. i didn't recv those docs until about a month before my sailing.

so, what about my grandma who is not online. can she no longer book a cruise? is she bound by your same theory and rules? she cannot go online to view terms and conditions and hunt all over the website for the contract.

now please, tell me again, how i agreed to a contract that i did not sign or read and could not have until i paid in full and rec'd my docs. :confused::cool:

i was just venting and upset that the cruiseline would not help this family out and do the right thing. honestly i was shocked by some of the responses people had on this thread and others. how only in this industry people say to just suck it up and move on. it baffles me as to why. are cruisers such snobs that they think just because they/we have money we should not care? we should blow it. Maybe not all people have money to waste as such. I have never been aware of the military people being rich enough to have money to just throw away.

the cruise lines do take advantage of us with their fallback on their contract. yes, we all obviously "agree" to it or we wouldn't be on the ship. but again, like i stated earlier, just because they can doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's mean.

but i'll be boarding my ship in a few months regardless.

BTW, enough people were finally fed up with the mistreatment of passengers on airplanes by the airlines.

Things finally changed to benefit the traveler. Some airlines do/did the right thing to begin with and others had to be forced by law to do it.

But are you folks seriously okay with the cruiselines bumping you from your cabin you chose 6 months ago or even a year or two in advance? Is that something you are really okay with just sucking it up and moving on? Just because they want to add one more person to a cabin...you are moved from your perfect location you researched and sought out and purchased and then swiiiiiiish, in comes the cruise line and they bump you. Now instead of being sandwiched between two floors of cabins, you are now below the pool and you get to wake up every morning to the scraping of deck chairs. How's that for ya? Honestly, you will just suck that up? Heck no, I would not! And yes, that did in fact happen!

Even if canceling your cruise and getting a full refund was doable because the cruiseline changed the itenerary/ship/port/time etc, what about your hotel and airfare, and rental car etc. pre cruise and post cruise you booked. It just seems like there should be some balance for both consumers and the company and a little more fairness.

I don't have a dog in this fight. (other than being against unfairness)

I don't pay for airfare, and I'm not military, but have plenty of family and friends who are. i do however fly in to the departure port a couple of days early, rent a car and stay at a hotel. which usually cannot be canceled at the last minute.

I have never booked ES fare. I don't like the restrictions.

And my family could afford to probably buy the ship....(not to brag, but to prove a point)

Cruise lines sell a vacation by presenting itineraries with the caveat that ports are not guaranteed and safety cannot be compromised by ignoring weather conditions. Demanding the specific performance of specific port arrival is not based on what the cruise line offered. Cruise ships are not ocean liners, do not offer point to point transportation, but rather a vacation often returning to the same port of departure.

The comparison to an airline is ludicrous. The offer of the airline is to deliver you to the airport listed on the ticket. The cruise is all about the trip, as opposed to the arrival at a specific port.

Unreasonable to expect something that is not offered. The basic concept is that if you want to go to a specific place at a certain time, a cruise is not the best way to do it, even though most of the time the ship does go to the included ports. Sure you are upset that things didn't work out the way you wanted, but beyond that, be realistic.

... and my cruise contract doesn't COME TO ME UNTIL AFTER I HAVE PAID.

Your profile shows you have cruised on Carnival at least twice before, you acknowledged reading the contract or at the very least had it available on both of those trips. Your mama, you and anyone else can read the cruise contract for free at the local library on the internet.

Point A to B? Cruise lines are not in the business for passenger transportation, it's an entertainment/vacation venue. Rest assured any deviance from ports or decisions regarding delivery of passengers/guests to a particular port are based on law, policy or safety.

Virtually any decision even for the type of carpet to use has legal ramifications, and with our litigious society you are looking for someone to blame.

The details are in the fine print. Read it before you agree to it.

Why do we allow the ships to just change things at their discretion at any time. I think it's wrong!

I think I know where you are going. Its the mentality that they can change anything they want at any time for any reason at all and you just have to live with it but the passenger cannot make any changes without penalties. In principle the concept is not a good one. But thankfully, In the real world they don't usually abuse their discretion, they make changes for the right reasons. I think that is why people have this attitude that the cruiseline can do whatever. Now, if the cruiselines were really bullying people and just cancelling cruises whenever and giving no recourse, then it might really be an issue.

blah blah blah........

as i stated before...forget the analogy to a an airline then.

please explain to me WHY IT'S OKAY FOR THE CRUISE LINE TO CHANGE YOUR CABIN THEN? WHY IS THAT ACCEPTABLE?

geesh, i cannot believe some people on here.

sorry for the large text...i'm just trying to get my point across....forget airplanes, forget ports of calls. if nothing else, why should we allow the cruiselines to change our cabins. why do we not have to right to stay in the cabin we booked? CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THAT AT LEAST FOR ME? :rolleyes:

I think I know where you are going. Its the mentality that they can change anything they want at any time for any reason at all and you just have to live with it but the passenger cannot make any changes without penalties. In principle the concept is not a good one. But thankfully, In the real world they don't usually abuse their discretion, they make changes for the right reasons. I think that is why people have this attitude that the cruiseline can do whatever. Now, if the cruiselines were really bullying people and just cancelling cruises whenever and giving no recourse, then it might really be an issue.

Yes Lisa, that is my point. They have the right to change whatever they want whenever they want for whatever reason they want. I remember when we booked our first cruise, and we recieved our docs in the mail, i sat down and read every single word of it. I was actually shocked at what i read. BUt of course I wanted to be on that ship and I gambled. I love gambling and it paid off. But sometimes it doesn't work out for others and the cruise lines just leave people hanging...there have been many stories on CC about it.

I have never minded a change for safety. SAFETY first at all times! But when things are changed and it has nothing to do with safety....well, then that irritates me lol.

I just hate the mentality that we are suppose to just suck it up and deal with and be grateful that we are on a ship. Only in the cruiseline industry does that crap fly.

7. CARNIVAL'S RIGHT TO INCREASE FARES, CANCEL OR CHANGE VOYAGE, CHANGE STATEROOM ASSIGNMENTS

(a) Carnival reserves the right to increase published fares and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, except for fares listed, quoted, advertised or booked in error, fuel supplements, government taxes, other surcharges and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions, which are subject to change without notice. In the event that a cruise fare listed, quoted or advertised through any website, Carnival sales person, travel agent or any other source is booked but is incorrect due to an electronic error, typographical error, human error or any other error causing the fare to be listed, quoted or advertised for an amount not intended by Carnival, Carnival reserves the right to correct the erroneous fare by requesting the Guest to pay the correct fare intended, or by canceling the cruise in exchange for a full refund, but in no event shall Carnival be obligated to honor any such booking resulting from the error or otherwise be liable in such circumstances.

so they can change their prices at any time and add on a fuel surcharge at anytime....that's not right. Do you order your breakfast and then the waitress tell you they are raising the price? NOpe.

Of course, most people are not going to just suck it up and lose the price of their airfare and hotel that they booked and paid for in advance. So now you have paid your cruise off, only to find out they are now going to charge you $8 more pp per day and they want to add another surcharge on top of that. perhaps they'll start charging you for a pillow. Air Conditioning, well, there's a surcharge for that too. Absurd you say? Well, they have the right to do it, it's in their contract. They can change it at any time. go ahead, suck that up.

..."Master considers that for any reason whatsoever, proceeding to, attempting to enter, or entering or remaining at the port of Guest's destination may expose the Vessel to risk or loss or damage or be likely to delay her, the Guest and his baggage may be landed at the port of embarkation or at any port or place at which the Vessel may call, at which time the responsibility of Carnival shall cease and this contract shall be deemed to have been fully performed, or if the Guest has not embarked, Carnival may cancel the proposed voyage without liability to refund passage money or fares paid in advance."

WOW, I certainly hope Carnival or any other cruise line doesn't decide to just drop me off at any port they choose and leave me there. Wow then that would mean that my entire party would have to provide their own transportation home without any recourse. YEP, SUCK THAT ONE UP. I fly free, no problem. What about you? I think that's wrong. There should be some responsibility on CCL or any other cruise line don't you think. So, If your captain get's pissed off at his FO, and decides he doesn't want to cruise with that first officer, he can, for any reason at all not take you back to your homeport, or he can just drive in circles if that's what he wants. Perfect.

14. CARNIVAL'S USE OF GUEST'S LIKENESS

Carnival and/or its promotional partners have the exclusive right to include photographic, video and other visual portrayals of Guest in any medium of any nature whatsoever for the purpose of trade, advertising, sales, publicity or otherwise, without compensation to Guest, and all rights, title and interest therein (including all worldwide copyrights therein) shall be Carnival's sole property, free from any claims by Guest or any person deriving any rights or interest from Guest.

15. GUEST'S USE OF PHOTOS, VIDEOS OR RECORDINGS PROHIBITTED

Guest hereby expressly agrees that he/she will not utilize any tape recording, video, or photograph(s) of himself/herself, any other guest, crew, or third party on board the vessel, or depicting the vessel, its design, equipment, or any part thereof whatsoever, for any commercial purpose or in any media broadcast, or for any other non private use, without the express written consent of Carnival. Guest acknowledges that by boarding the vessel, at any time, Guest irrevocably agrees to this provision, which is a condition precedent to being permitted on board the vessel and can be enforced by any legal means, including, but not limited to, injunctive relief.

I thought this was a little interesting too....THEY CAN PHOTOGRAPH US AND USE OUR IMAGE.....but we can't use theirs...

So see, we give up alot to be on their ship....anyways, I'm done with this. Just stick your head back in the sand and all is rosey in the cruise world. One day you may wake up and see you have even less rights. But hey, cruises are awesome, and we should be thankful they let us pay them to be on that ship. :rolleyes:

blah blah blah........

as i stated before...forget the analogy to a an airline then.

please explain to me WHY IT'S OKAY FOR THE CRUISE LINE TO CHANGE YOUR CABIN THEN? WHY IS THAT ACCEPTABLE?

geesh, i cannot believe some people on here.

sorry for the large text...i'm just trying to get my point across....forget airplanes, forget ports of calls. if nothing else, why should we allow the cruiselines to change our cabins. why do we not have to right to stay in the cabin we booked? CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THAT AT LEAST FOR ME? :rolleyes:

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

In other words, book a cabin that holds the number of people traveling and dont book a HC cabin if you are not HC and you wont be moved

Archived