Quest Review Sept. 10

world~citizen

What follows is a review of our cruise experience that we submitted to CC. Our first cruise on Quest was about 2 and a half years ago. There are some comparisons:

A Great Itinerary

We sailed the Quest September 10 for a seven-day cruise to the Greek Islands, and Marmaris and Kusadasi in Turkey. The itinerary was very interesting, including islands we hadn’t visited before. For us the big advantage of this cruise was docking very close to the town centre and walking off and enjoying the ports without having to shuttle in or take an excursion. There was a good mix of historical sites, shopping, great scenery and breathtaking sunsets.

Azamara Club has Improved

Azamara has improved from its pre-Azamara Club days. From the moment we arrived at the port, the Azamara touch was evident. We were met by a cheerful agent who provided us with luggage tags, collected our bags, and directed us to the station where we filled out the medical forms. Then on to complete registration formalities, have the obligatory pre-boarding photo taken and we were on the ship. Very organized.

Taking lunch at Windows while our cabin was being readied seemed the sensible thing to do. When we sailed previously, Windows Breza was not as well known as it is now so while dining there is delightful, tables are more difficult to come by. The food, however, has improved dramatically, and I say that in full recognition that I noted in the review of our first cruise that Windows was a cut above other cruise line’s at that time. My wife went as far as to observe it was the nicest lunch she had had in a long time. I had to agree. Also remarkable was the very efficient and friendly staff. It was an efficiency and friendliness that seldom waivered over seven days.

Not perfect, but almost there

There were glitches however. On later days we saw staff flounder trying to get waffles from the waffle station to the guests who ordered them. A couple placed an order and then left to gather the rest of their breakfast and when they returned, it wasn’t quite ready. The server said “I will bring it to you”. The server was directed by the manager to take care of something else, and that was the end of that. Some discussion followed with other servers about who the order was for. No one had a clue so it sat there – cooling. One server took part of the order away and we left before the whole scene played itself out. At afternoon tea (which lasted an hour), we observed the whipped cream at the scone station disappear after 20 minutes. When the manager came along I thought he would order it replaced. Instead he ordered the empty bowl removed leaving only the preserves to accompany the scones. He seemed to have missed the point a bit. We also observed some mild barking directed towards staff by the manager.

Once our cabins were readied the announcement was made so we moved off to our home for the next seven days, where our bags had already been delivered. There were a few small changes. The furnishings, the bed, bedding and towels were all excellent, but now soft drinks, sodas and water were complementary. There is no doubt that the cabins are small and storage is limited, but adequate for our 7 day cruise (as indeed it had been for our 14 day cruise earlier), but you don’t want to pack a lot if you are in an inside, outside or verandah cabin. Fortunately, there are no formal nights on Azamara, so you won’t need a suit, tuxedo, dressing up, a selection of shoes – you can pack light. Bathroom amenities are of high quality and the towels, robes and slippers fluffy and cozy. I must say the light switches on the table lamps were difficult to figure. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom but also a more powerful one stored in the door in the desk. As well, you will find a pair of binoculars there for use during the cruise.

Overall, the cabin was in first-rate condition. In fact, the whole ship seems to be in first class condition. We saw no worn furniture or frayed carpets anywhere. Mechanical things all worked (coffee and beverage machines, automatic doors, toilets etc.) The Quest isn’t old, but it isn’t young either, so we considered it perhaps the best-maintained ship we have ever seen.

Discoveries: the most Dramatic Improvement

We dined the first night in Discoveries, the ship’s main dining room. In my previous review, I noted that Discoveries restaurant was all right but nothing special. Well, that has changed. The now smooth, friendly efficiency of the dining room is a joy. It sets the ambience for the well-considered menu, masterfully prepared cuisine and clever presentation. I could scarcely believe it was the same dining room. I started to rethink the reservations I made in Prime C and Aqualina , as the food and service in Discoveries and Windows were excellent – and no surcharge!

Reservations for the Prime C and the Aqualina were easy. Both restaurants were delightful; staff was helpful in choosing meals, personable and attentive. We can’t say enough about the meals – lobster done to perfection, steaks-wonderful, interesting vegetables and salads, rich, flavourful red wines and light, crisp whites that changed every day. These restaurants turned out to be well worth the 15 dollar surcharge – no small thing considering the new experience in Discoveries. If Discoveries is now a superior venue, excellence describes the Prime C and Aqualina experience. We booked an additional night.

Dinners in Windows were themed - Italian, Greek, French and Indian. We dined in other venues those nights but we did join the deck bar-b-que one evening.

The bar-be-que was hit and miss, though the staff really went all out for it. The food seems to have ticked all the boxes, but the timing was off. Salads and other food stations were opened before the grill was ready. The music was a curious sort of country and western meets calypso but the free flowing wine policy of Azamara is a good party starter. What did work well was the Turkish folk show with a belly dancer. It was followed by a dance where the cruise director earned his pay for the whole cruise in one night! All in all, it was a good evening.

The Mosiac Café served a good selection of coffees, iced coffee, cappuccinos, teas, and small bites and cookies. It is a great place to stop after a day on shore for refreshment. The staff was friendly and we enjoyed spending some time with them every day. You could also serve yourself in Windows 24/7.

The Brunch with senior officers for Discoverer level members misfired a bit. A sign as you entered indicated to advise someone of your Discoverer status. We saw the sign but there was no one to advise, so we just sat down, apparently in the wrong place. We got the redheaded stepchild treatment from staff and officers. It was our fault.

Things Change

In our previous cruise, senior officers and the Captain were visible and to have the Captain introduce himself in the sushi line was a pleasant surprise. I can’t say the same about this cruise. Perhaps it is personality, perhaps it is policy - I prefer not to comment on it other than to reference it, as it seemed a refreshing change from the “suite passengers only” policy of some other lines. Everyone likes to think they are important enough to rub shoulders with the Captain. I thought Azamara worked to break that mold. I suppose not. Too bad.

Disembarkation was extremely easy, organized as usual - colour coded baggage tags, announcements for the tags, etc. One very civilized feature of disembarkation was the opening of Mosaic café. Sometimes when ships want you off they really want you off and few measures are taken to make things comfortable. Relaxing in the Mosaic lounge to a premium coffee while waiting for your disembarkation number to be called seemed refined in contrast.

Talking with crewmembers, they were cheerful and all seemed to be happy and would be returning to Azamara (as a preference) after their contract ends. I think their job satisfaction is due to the relaxed atmosphere of the cruise and the happy passengers. Maybe a feedback loop – happy crew leads to happy passengers, which is reflected in a happy crew – repeated such that the net result is a remarkable cruise experience.

Oh, I almost forgot. We met some delightful Teddy Bears on the cruise. Hello Kenny.:)

We would sail again

In brief, our cruise was pretty much what we had hoped for except that it was only seven days. I don’t think it long enough and probably wouldn’t sail anything less than 10 days next time.

Azamara Club has taken some pretty big leaps forward.

We recommend Azamara without reservation, and look forward to our next cruise with them.

Smooth sailing...

Very interesting review. I am surprised you did not find the captain and senior officers visible. The certainly were on our cruise in March in spite of the earthquake in Japan and all the resulting issues and changes.

I totally agree about the wonderful improvement in Discoveries, both with the food and the service.

I know that all reviews are subjective.

I travelled on the Quest cruise prior to yours and I believe the captain on mine was continuing on yours: Capt. Carl Smith. Have travelled on six Az. cruises and have found all the captains to be excellent but he was not only excellent but exceptionable.

He was the most personable, friendly and informative that I have ever met and if you scour through this site you will find praise to him in many of the threads Unfortunately he will be on leave during my next Az. cruise.

I understand that tendering, which often happening in the Greek area of the Mediterranean is very time consuming to the bridge so maybe that explains his absence from the sushi bar

... Have travelled on six Az. cruises and have found all the captains to be excellent but he was not only excellent but exceptionable...

It well could be, we never met him. I wouldn't have mentioned it except it seemed a strange departure from our first cruise. There is no blame to be ascribed here.

Perhaps next time.

I am happy that you found your cruise experiences as refreshing as we found ours.

Smooth sailing...

Thank you for your review - nice to hear a further perspective on an Azamara cruise

Thank-you very much.

I am not sure my perspective is so different from the bulk of reviews which also rate Azamara 5 out of 5+.

There is room for improvement but isn't there always?

Smooth sailing...

If you had Captain Carl I am surprised at your comments. We found him to be the most outgoing ship's captain we have encountered. You must have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Glad you had a great cruise.

Hi Everyone,

I was also on this cruise and for some exceptional reasons, it was the best cruise I have ever taken. I will post a review after I catch up with the work I had to return to today.

The Captain was in the receiving line for the first evening show (think it was the first night) and a photographer took pictures for each and every guest. I had never seen that on any size ship. The rest of the staff was very visible and interactive. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of genuine interaction.

ddpe

Hello World~Citizen -

I’ve shared your “then & now” review of your vacation on the Azamara Quest with our executive and operations team in Miami. I’m certain that your comment –“Azamara Club has taken some pretty big leaps forward” and “We recommend Azamara without reservation…” will resonate with them.

It will validate their decision to re-brand Azamara Cruises in December 2009 with a new name - “AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES” - as a “boutique cruise line of distinction” with a newly refined focus, more inclusive tariffs, boutique wines with lunch and dinner designed for “upmarket,” experienced and affluent travelers.

I believe that by adding the term “CLUB” to our name created the platform for our officers, staff and crew which stimulated the personalization of their relationships with our guests.

We’re pleased to learn that you’re looking forward to vacationing again with Azamara and look forward to welcoming onboard again!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

We also are surprised at your comments re: visibility of the Captain.

We spent 69 days in total on the 'Quest" with Captains Leif Karllson and Karl Smith from Aug 2010 - March 2011. Everyday on board we enjoyed a chat, both are delightful gents. They are both so wonderful they have fans following their cruises. Many fans also follow Philip and Ryzard the Hotel Directors.

Azamara traditionally have the Captain and his Senior staff at the top of the gangway to farewell their guests when you debark . That is truly special.

Azamara Captains, Crew, Senior and junior staff think of everything to delight you, make you comfortable and have you relaxed and smiling.

Special memories - treats awaited us on the dock at Citavecchia an Opera singer and a glass of champagne to greet you after a hot day in Rome.

In Tianjin after a freezing cold day in Beijing hot chocolate and slug of Rum (from Rudi), the Orchestra playing jazz in the departure hall to welcome us back on board.

We hope to be back onboard soon.

Hello World~Citizen -

I’ve shared your “then & now” review of your vacation on the Azamara Quest with our executive and operations team in Miami. I’m certain that your comment –“Azamara Club has taken some pretty big leaps forward” and “We recommend Azamara without reservation…” will resonate with them.

It will validate their decision to re-brand Azamara Cruises in December 2009 with a new name - “AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES” - as a “boutique cruise line of distinction” with a newly refined focus, more inclusive tariffs, boutique wines with lunch and dinner designed for “upmarket,” experienced and affluent travelers.

I believe that by adding the term “CLUB” to our name created the platform for our officers, staff and crew which stimulated the personalization of their relationships with our guests.

We’re pleased to learn that you’re looking forward to vacationing again with Azamara and look forward to welcoming onboard again!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I will be pleased if it does.

It is difficult for me to know the number and nature of changes made that culminated in the cruise experience of Azamara Club. It is modern without being trendy; upmarket without being stuffy.

We can't think about the cruise without thinking about the servers and stewards. I noted they were friendly. Charming better describes many of them - and they know (and love) their jobs.

There is a little bristling here with respect to my reference to visibility of officers etc . I am delighted that our experience was (apparently) not representative of others - as indeed it was a departure from our first Azamara cruise (and I said that). Still, it is an accurate representation of our last experience. Both my wife and myself had to agree before we posted the review. Insofar as we could manage, it was "fair and balanced" as we understand the meaning of the term.

With respect to the minor glitches and disappointments we referenced, I am sure Azamara "didn't mean it", :D, and those observations were circumstantial only.

Evaluation is always dirty, but this cruise rated a strong 5 out of 5+.

Bravo.

Hi Everyone,

I was also on this cruise and for some exceptional reasons, it was the best cruise I have ever taken. I will post a review after I catch up with the work I had to return to today.

The Captain was in the receiving line for the first evening show (think it was the first night) and a photographer took pictures for each and every guest. I had never seen that on any size ship. The rest of the staff was very visible and interactive. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of genuine interaction.

ddpe

It was nice meeting you on the ship (and the shore excursions). Did you want the name of our guide in Istanbul?

Anne

Having just returned from Journey and with a Quest cruise booked for November I really enjoyed reading your review and particularly the comparison to Azamara's pre-Club days. I travelled with friends and their last Azamara cruise was also prior to the change and they too remarked on the improvement, even going so far as to say they preferred the food to Silversea, a line they have cruised with frequently. Your review also reminded me of a few nice touches like Mosaic on the last morning and the delicious pastries, cakes and very nice coffee they served there.

Thanks again for your review.

Phil

Archived