Dess code

odden

Hello everyone

My wife, daughter (12) and myself are joining the Carnival Victory for a 7 day cruise in the Carribean in October as the latter part of a cruise and stay holiday

We are flying over from England and consequently dont want to bring too much baggage for a 7 night cruise but likewise dont want to miss out on a formal evening either

So.. to the question...what is the minimum accepted dress code for a cruise of this type

Thanks in advance

:D

Men: Collared shirt, pants No tie nor jacket required

Women: dress, skirt, nice pants, blouse No rubber flip-flops No need to go over the top with cocktail dresses, etc. On our formal night I wore a non wrinkle skirt with matching t-shirt cut top made from a like fabric as the skirt.

Do what is comfortable for you. Carnival might own Cunard, but there is no need to dress like a Cunarder. :D

Most nights you can wear whatever you want. shorts even in the MDR at night.

Only formal night do you need to wear at least long pants. My friend wore capris and a nice top.

thats it .. just the elegant night but other than that anything goes as far as I can see. You can do it in a carry on each easily.

You can really wear just about anything but people do still dress up. We always dress for formal/elegant night in a tux and long gown. I don't know where the people are that don't dress up. We just got off a 5 day cruise and although there weren't many other tuxes or long gowns most of the women wore cocktail dresses or at least better than work type dresses and there were others in long dresses. The women do dress up more than the men. The men were in suits or dress shirts and ties. We always have late seating so maybe more people dress for that. Those that didn't want to dress up at all ate at the Lido. If you don't want to go all out I think a sport coat and a long skirt with a nice top would do nicely.

You can really wear just about anything but people do still dress up. We always dress for formal/elegant night in a tux and long gown. I don't know where the people are that don't dress up. We just got off a 5 day cruise and although there weren't many other tuxes or long gowns most of the women wore cocktail dresses or at least better than work type dresses and there were others in long dresses. The women do dress up more than the men. The men were in suits or dress shirts and ties. We always have late seating so maybe more people dress for that. Those that didn't want to dress up at all ate at the Lido. If you don't want to go all out I think a sport coat and a long skirt with a nice top would do nicely.

thanks for the response..what about my daughter? she is 12:)

It is your vacation! Carnival has a very relaxed dress code and that is one reason we enjoy it very much!

YOU can decide how you'd like to dress on "elegant night". The only thing that is required is slacks for men(not shorts) and a shirt with a collar. You may see folks dressed up more elegantly but that should not stop you from doing as you please!!

My husband has not worn a coat/tie since he retired.

He wears black jeans and a shirt with a collar. I dress up more and wear a cute little dress or nice slacks with a glam top. Your 12year old can wear the same. She must have a cute dress and sandals or one nice outfit that will make her feel special.

thanks for the response..what about my daughter? she is 12:)

I have not seen hardly any of these super dressed up people and I have formals, but would not wear them on carnival. I would take that with a grain of salt myself. Only the really old people wear formals.

If you are under age 60 you will feel overdressed. We had ladies wearing sun dresses which are hardly formal. Lots dont dress up.

Thanks for the response - i must admit i didnt know Carnival was so laid back ... weve been on Princess and Royal Carribean before and some folks were quite stuffy about dress

:)

The formal aspect has practically disappeared on Carnival and like mentioned most dress is laid back. But you will see some folks that still observe the orignal idea. I always wear a tux but that's me. How others dress is not my concern. And the last thing I am is a stuff shirt.

Hello everyone

My wife, daughter (12) and myself are joining the Carnival Victory for a 7 day cruise in the Carribean in October as the latter part of a cruise and stay holiday

We are flying over from England and consequently dont want to bring too much baggage for a 7 night cruise but likewise dont want to miss out on a formal evening either

So.. to the question...what is the minimum accepted dress code for a cruise of this type

Thanks in advance

:D

Where did you get the idea that there was a "Formal" evening.

This is the Walmart of the sea cruiseline. A little something for everyone at a decent price.And just like Walmart products, the ship is made overseas as well.:D

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Where did you get the idea that there was a "Formal" evening.

This is the Walmart of the sea cruiseline. A little something for everyone at a decent price.And just like Walmart products, the ship is made overseas as well.:D

WOW! Walmart, really?

As to if it's enforced, it depends on the ship and the staff. Our last three saililngs on the Miracle from NY, the no shorts in the dining room (except the first night) was enforced. We also saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night.

I have not seen hardly any of these super dressed up people and I have formals, but would not wear them on carnival. I would take that with a grain of salt myself. Only the really old people wear formals.

If you are under age 60 you will feel overdressed. We had ladies wearing sun dresses which are hardly formal. Lots dont dress up.

That's a little strong. The men in my family will be wearing tuxes on our cruise in December - 51, 18, 16. I will have on a gown, and my daughter a cocktail dress - 51 and 15. We are taking advantage of the photography available to get a nice family portrait! The guys will wear collared shirts and khaki's the rest of the nights. But we enjoy the dressing up.

For people who don't enjoy it, I'd go with the minimum described on Carnivals' site.

Have fun cruising!

WOW! Walmart, really?

As to if it's enforced, it depends on the ship and the staff. Our last three saililngs on the Miracle from NY, the no shorts in the dining room (except the first night) was enforced. We also saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night.

Where are you getting that from?:confused: You must be trying to push your own adjenda here.Please show me where you got it from because I got this right from the CCL website.

Shorts ARE allowed in the dining room on all nights except elegant night.

""""""Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs)""""""""

Turned away for not wearing a jacket?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a load. Here again from the CCL website.

''''''''''''''''Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!''''''''''''''''''''

Just incase you want my link here it is............ http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=wear

Can I have your link or did you just make it all up?

WOW! Walmart, really?

this cant be on Carnival in the last few years??

As stated carnival (and RCL) both threw in the towel on the no wearing shorts in the MDR. Its in their dress code.

You claim you saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket .. on Carnival?? A jacket is not even required, so how could this be true??

.. Im starting to feel like some of these posters and myself have not been on the same cruiseline. Iv seen men in dockers, long pants and a nice shirt. Someone said it needed to be a button down shirt, but Iv seen non button down and np. no ties or jackets required.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Where are you getting that from?:confused: You must be trying to push your own adjenda here.Please show me where you got it from because I got this right from the CCL website.

Shorts ARE allowed in the dining room on all nights except elegant night.

""""""Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs)""""""""

Turned away for not wearing a jacket?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a load. Here again from the CCL website.

''''''''''''''''Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!''''''''''''''''''''

Just incase you want my link here it is............ http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=wear

Can I have your link or did you just make it all up?

LOL! You are funny! I have actually cruised and seen it. And nice how you edited the quote http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=wear :

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Oh and P.S. Welcome to CC!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
this cant be on Carnival in the last few years??

As stated carnival (and RCL) both threw in the towel on the no wearing shorts in the MDR. Its in their dress code.

You claim you saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket .. on Carnival?? A jacket is not even required, so how could this be true??

.. Im starting to feel like some of these posters and myself have not been on the same cruiseline. Iv seen men in dockers, long pants and a nice shirt. Someone said it needed to be a button down shirt, but Iv seen non button down and np. no ties or jackets required.

Again generalizing and putting all ships into one group does not work. I didn't say I saw it on Carnival ships, I said I saw it on the Miracle! I never said it doesn't happen, I just stated what I saw on my sailing, so please only report what you see and comment on that.

I think you will find that the term "dress shorts" is loosely enforced, as to what is dress shorts .. long shorts to most people.

I have been sitting there and the maitre d' announced no ball caps or wife beater tee shirts and two guys at the table next to me had on both .. neither ever flinched. The one wore his baseball cap thru out the meals for the entire week and his friend wore his sleeveless tee shirt. These were adult men, not children.

I own formals .. but they stay home on Carnival. I would feel out of place myself dressing up that much.

I am sorry, but if I was turned away from the dining room on a Cruise Casual night for wearing shorts, I would have a HUGE issue with it on a Carnival Cruise. It wouldn't matter if it was the oldest or newest ship or if it sailed from NY or San Diego or Tampa. It is the dress code that anyone can wear shorts on a cruise casual night.

Just my opinion on the dress code.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
WHAT? When was your last cruise?

I have to say it out loud, I do not believe you.

And you are entitled to your own opinion! Which last cruise do you want to know about? I sailed four times this past year. If you are referring to the last time on Carnival's Miracle, it was this past July. Thank you for asking.

P.S. Reading the comments on John Heald's page about how nasty CC has become, I know see it. CC used to be a great site where people could state their opinion and help others without being personally attached, but guess not anymore. So thank you all and enjoy the rest of this thread.

If your daughter has a nice dress that she would wear to a house of worship for a wedding or funeral, that would be appropriate.

another idea is a jersey dress (easy to pack & won't wrinkle), with a change up with accessories if there is more than one Elegant night.

Men seem to be more relaxed than we women do!

And you are entitled to your own opinion! Which last cruise do you want to know about? I sailed four times this past year. If you are referring to the last time on Carnival's Miracle, it was this past July. Thank you for asking.

P.S. Reading the comments on John Heald's page about how nasty CC has become, I know see it. CC used to be a great site where people could state their opinion and help others without being personally attached, but guess not anymore. So thank you all and enjoy the rest of this thread.

No one is trying to be nasty .. but first you state you cant wear shorts in the dining room .. then you say you saw someone being turned away for not wearing a jacket.

When someone states rules that are not rules .. someone is going to speak up.. thats not being nasty, but we think you are misleading the OP.

food is subjective .. a rule saying you will be turned away for not wearing a coat on elegant night .. that is not subjective.

Maybe there was another reason the diner left? .. not because of lack of a coat. There has to be another explanation.

Until about 3 or 4 cruises ago, we always got really dressed up for the "formal" night. The men wore suits or tux and the women were in formal dresses.

Then the men started with a sport coat and tie. Then a shirt and tie.

Now....the men in our group on our last cruise and this one coming up are not taking ties. They are all wearing slacks and a nice shirt. We women will be properly dressed, but not formal.

We always took so many bags and now we are taking one each along with a carry on. You can thank the airlines for that. They have made it so costly to take all of the clothing that we used to take.

I do not like it when someone wears jeans or sloppy clothes to the dining room in the evening. On ANY night. I know that the first night you are allowed to wear shorts, but after that, you may not be allowed. I have never seen Carnival turn anyone away. But I have seen people that should have been turned away. They looked like they were going into their local McDonalds for lunch. Or that they just climbed out of their long afternoon nap and threw something on and came to eat. But........why should I care. Right? It is their vacation and they can do what they want, I guess.

As for our group, we are always freshly showered and clean pressed clothes, even if not formal wear.

Formal night is a good night for photos. So you can get a nice family formal portrait. That is hard to do these days. So, dress up and enjoy.

We like looking at all the pretty dresses and suits. We just choose not to do it any longer.

LOL! You are funny! I have actually cruised and seen it. And nice how you edited the quote http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=wear :

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

On ANY night. I know that the first night you are allowed to wear shorts' date=' but after that, you may not be allowed.[/color'] I have never seen Carnival turn anyone away. But I have seen people that should have been turned away. They looked like they were going into their local McDonalds for lunch.

The dress code says on any night except elegant night you can wear long shorts and jeans. The dress code for Carnival is quoted above .. you can wear tee shirts, just not sleeveless tee shirts (but Iv seen them).

If you are uncomfortable with jeans and shorts and tee shirts, then maybe Carnival is not the line for you. I dont like to dress up myself so its fine with me. People here seem to want to make their own code, and ignore the written Carnival code for dress.

Archived