Dess code

odden

I would say that the best way to pack for your cruise is to bring pieces that can mix and match easily. I tend to dress up just because I really like getting all dolled up-- but there are plenty of people that just wear slacks most evenings and for formal night bring a nicer top or shirt. If I were in your position, I'd bring two nice slacks and on nicer dress shirt followed by vacation wear or a polo type shirt. Don't feel like you have to bring a whole wardrobe, and bring an extra ten dollars in cash in the case you need to do some laundry- as there are facilities on the ship that are easy to access. Carnival is very laid back, indeed, and you'll see people that are under dressed (denim shorts and whatnot) and that won't be fussed at by employees.

Also, if you and your family like to spend most of your time outdoors in the sun, many people just walk around in their swimsuits with a modest cover up most of the day-- totally normal for Carnival, which makes packing daywear MUCH easier.

I think these boards are getting nasty, I do not post often but feel that making a comment like someone did not see what they say that saw is stupid. I hardly think this is misleading anyone, I would suggest the what the person saw likely did happen. How is it that you seem to feel that you are so righrt as to dispute it YOU WERE NOT THERE

I think these boards are getting nasty, I do not post often but feel that making a comment like someone did not see what they say that saw is stupid. I hardly think this is misleading anyone, I would suggest the what the person saw likely did happen. How is it that you seem to feel that you are so righrt as to dispute it YOU WERE NOT THERE

Because it is in print at Carnival.com:confused::rolleyes: Why is that nasty:confused:

So you think the person saw people being turned away because they were not wearing a jacket on a Carnival cruise in July?

Carnival has always been known for looking the other way even when something was spelled out in the rules. But now you think the person saw people being turned away because they were not wearing a jacket when there is no rule for a jacket at all now?

We are flying to Barcelona next month and dh is wearing a suite and I am wearing a gown on elagant nights, but I could care less what some one else is wearing. If I have to pay for an extra bag, so be it. If my dgs was going he would be wearing a suite also.

Facts are here:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress

you can wear jeans every night except Cruise Elegant ;)

dress length shorts are permitted every night except Cruise Elegant :o

a jacket is not required on Cruise Elegant :D

Unless you can send a link to a FAQ site from the cruise line then you are voicing opinion versus fact.

We have cruised on Carnival on ships ranging from the Mardi Gras to the Conquest. I've worn jeans to dinner and more recently shorts to dinner and been in compliance. You will also if you wear the same thing.

You mileage may vary.

I will say this I have been on 4 previous cruises out of San Juan and people do seem to dress a little better on these cruises IMHO. Not saying you wont see it all , but when the ship is ususally half Puerto Ricans they seem to enjoy dressing up even the kids. Now we will dress a somewhat casual as we dont like to drag all those clothes along or we will head to the buffet on formal night .

And you are entitled to your own opinion! Which last cruise do you want to know about? I sailed four times this past year. If you are referring to the last time on Carnival's Miracle, it was this past July. Thank you for asking.

P.S. Reading the comments on John Heald's page about how nasty CC has become, I know see it. CC used to be a great site where people could state their opinion and help others without being personally attached, but guess not anymore. So thank you all and enjoy the rest of this thread.

You stated in post #12..... As to if it's enforced, it depends on the ship and the staff. Our last three saililngs on the Miracle from NY, the no shorts in the dining room (except the first night) was enforced. We also saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night.

Could you please show us the link where we would find that rule/code you stated exists. You also stated it was on your last three cruises yet not one single person here seems to back you up so if you could show us on CCLs website it would be greatly appreciated.

As far as helping others, giving them outright wrong info is not helping them. I don't ever remember being turned away for not wearing a jacket when there was a "Formal night" and that was years ago now.That was before as you stated "Our last three sailings".

Guest LoveMyBoxer
You stated in post #12..... As to if it's enforced, it depends on the ship and the staff. Our last three saililngs on the Miracle from NY, the no shorts in the dining room (except the first night) was enforced. We also saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night.

Could you please show us the link where we would find that rule/code you stated exists. You also stated it was on your last three cruises yet not one single person here seems to back you up so if you could show us on CCLs website it would be greatly appreciated.

As far as helping others, giving them outright wrong info is not helping them. I don't ever remember being turned away for not wearing a jacket when there was a "Formal night" and that was years ago now.That was before as you stated "Our last three sailings".

Suggest you cruise before you post and again welcome to CC!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Facts are here:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress

you can wear jeans every night except Cruise Elegant ;)

dress length shorts are permitted every night except Cruise Elegant :o

a jacket is not required on Cruise Elegant :D

Unless you can send a link to a FAQ site from the cruise line then you are voicing opinion versus fact.

We have cruised on Carnival on ships ranging from the Mardi Gras to the Conquest. I've worn jeans to dinner and more recently shorts to dinner and been in compliance. You will also if you wear the same thing.

You mileage may vary.

I never said that all ships are the same. All I stated is what happened on MY sailing! Thank you.

I will say this I have been on 4 previous cruises out of San Juan and people do seem to dress a little better on these cruises IMHO. Not saying you wont see it all , but when the ship is ususally half Puerto Ricans they seem to enjoy dressing up even the kids. Now we will dress a somewhat casual as we dont like to drag all those clothes along or we will head to the buffet on formal night .

And....they can drive to the port so they don't have to worry about extra luggage. ;):p

We probably dress better than many on the Carnival ships. On nights other than Elegant Night, DW usually will wear either dressy slacks or a nice "church dress". I usually wear long trousers and one of my multitude of island shirts. If I am feeling especially casual, I will wear dress shorts (longer and tailored).

For Elegant Night, DW wears very dressy cocktail length dresses. Longer dresses make her look like she is even shorter than her 4'9". I wear my tuxedo or my white dinner jacket. We are not alone; on our previous five Carnival cruises, the majority of the men wear at least a suit and tie on Elegant Night. Now please be aware that we have not cruised out of ports where formal wear means a clean wifebeater shirt with the logo of the nearest "gentlemen's club" on it.

Doc:p

They don't always look the other way. I was denied admission to the MDR on the Legend during breakfast for wearing a sleeveless (but shoulders covered) lined athletic-brand shirt.

Yes, because it's unsanitary. Sorry gentlemen, but no one wants to see your armpit hair. Either groom it or cover it.

We also saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night.

Wow! Turned away? That stinks!

My family and I dressed up for the formal/elegant night, but neither my son nor my hubby wore a jacket- just shirt and tie with dress slacks. There were plenty of others in the MDR that night without jackets- some even had jeans on. :cool: But...to each his own. I wanted my family to dress a certain way for photo reasons, but I wouldn't deny someone else their meal in the MDR...:(

WOW! Walmart, really?

As to if it's enforced, it depends on the ship and the staff. Our last three saililngs on the Miracle from NY, the no shorts in the dining room (except the first night) was enforced. We also saw people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night.

So were you sitting right next to the entrance so you know these were the reasons these people were turned away? The reason I question this is because what you are saying you saw is not in accordance with Carnival Dress Code rules, which apply to all Carnival ships including Miracle. I am not doubting you saw people turned away, I am doubting the reason why.

My DH and DS have not worn a jacket on elegant night on our last 3 cruises on Freedom, Destiny, and Glory. They were not the only one's on these ships dressed this way and they were in accordance with Carnival's dress code. My DH and DS have worn long shorts on these same cruises on casual nights. Again they were not the only one's dressed this way and again they were in accordance with Carnival's dress code.

Again I am not questioning what you say you saw....I am questioning the reason what you saw happened. I highly doubt the staff on the Carnival Miracle would take it upon themselves to change Carnival's dress code just for your sailings:rolleyes:.

That's a little strong. The men in my family will be wearing tuxes on our cruise in December - 51, 18, 16. I will have on a gown, and my daughter a cocktail dress - 51 and 15. We are taking advantage of the photography available to get a nice family portrait! The guys will wear collared shirts and khaki's the rest of the nights. But we enjoy the dressing up.

For people who don't enjoy it, I'd go with the minimum described on Carnivals' site.

Have fun cruising!

Thanks! We'll both be in tuxedos on our next CCL cruise on The Breeze. Yes, on CCL, as opposed to HAL and Celebrity, we'll be in the minority, but we certainly appreciate the countless compliments we've receive, on all past CCL cruises, from the ladies on board who acknowledge well dressed men. Wear what you want, just as we do! :)

thanks for the response..what about my daughter? she is 12:)

Put her in a little casual sundress and some cute sandels, she will be fine. My daughter just rolls up a few sundresses and uses them as dinner wear and also swim suit coverups for the beaches and ports.

Archived