Princess Poll

Shogun

Should Princess Open Crown Grill on Port days for Lunch  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess Open Crown Grill on Port days for Lunch

Yep I do. I have no complaints about the buffet what so ever, Although their desserts could be as good as the IC which would make it even better. A lot of people knock the buffet but it's always crowded at breakfast & lunch time.

Thoughts on food are very subjective. On the Golden this past February, the HC food was truely terrible. Items I wouldn't feed my dog. Only good stuff was cookies and fruit.

Bob

Thoughts on food are very subjective. On the Golden this past February, the HC food was truely terrible. Items I wouldn't feed my dog. Only good stuff was cookies and fruit.

Bob

By the way you make it sound Princess won't be in business that much longer. Why do you bother sailing on a cruise line with such terrible buffet food?

I have a gluten allergy. I would be very surprised if Princess hasn't already made a plan for how to meet the needs of people with food allergies. They have dedicated allergen-free galleys, and my personal experience is that they are very responsive to this issue.

An interesting question (another poll?) would be 'have you ever had lunch in the MDR on a port day?' The replies might be indicative of why Princess is making the change.

I agree.. we have never had lunch in the DR, so that type of poll could be more usefull. But I don't think they're doing it to save money.

Princess knows better than any poll about how many go to the MDR for lunch while in port & if they're going to make a change there must not be many who go there.

But for those who are told to not eat in the HC for health reasons, Princess should provide something. I don't know how many have a health issue but wonder if they could provide a room service meal so those with health issues can safely eat lunch onboard while in port. It would probably have to be pre-ordered while onboard for health reasons but don't see a reason to open any dining venue for those without a health reason if very few dine there.

Hi All

Thanks to all of you who have voted to date,

First time I had set up a poll,

Would have been nice if I could have asked a few more questions

However it appears a strong vote for lunch on port days,

I think more folk would eat lunch onboard if it was in the Crown Grill

just because it is different from the MDR.

yours Shogun

An interesting question (another poll?) would be 'have you ever had lunch in the MDR on a port day?' The replies might be indicative of why Princess is making the change.

That would be a good poll!!!

We have NEVER eaten in the MDR on a port day!

I think have the MDR closed on port days is an excellent idea. Having stayed on the ship many times while in port, I have noticed that the dining room is usually fairly empty...why have waiters/asst waiters stand around waiting for people who may decide to eat lunch in the dining room? It may give these hard working men and women some time to enjoy either extra sleep or maybe even going into port. The dining room staff work SO hard and many hours a day/night. It would be the same scenario if Princess were to open one of the specialty restaurants during port days.

This is a great opportunity to possibly help out the staff. You always have the pizzeria and Trident Grill available. Just my opinion! :)

I think have the MDR closed on port days is an excellent idea. Having stayed on the ship many times while in port, I have noticed that the dining room is usually fairly empty...why have waiters/asst waiters stand around waiting for people who may decide to eat lunch in the dining room? It may give these hard working men and women some time to enjoy either extra sleep or maybe even going into port. The dining room staff work SO hard and many hours a day/night. It would be the same scenario if Princess were to open one of the specialty restaurants during port days.

This is a great opportunity to possibly help out the staff. You always have the pizzeria and Trident Grill available. Just my opinion! :)

But that's the point, it doesn't help the staff or give them more time off. They are redeployed to HC as both sides of the buffet are open and more staff are helping to carry food trays, seat people, get beverages and clean-up.

But that's the point, it doesn't help the staff or give them more time off. They are redeployed to HC as both sides of the buffet are open and more staff are helping to carry food trays, seat people, get beverages and clean-up.

The HC court is pretty well staffed on port days so I doubt that all the dining room staff would be sent there. I still think it is a good idea as normally the dining room is not very crowded on port days. On most cruises, the majority of people are off the ship during lunch times.

People with disabilities or allergies should not need to pay a fee to eat safely! We have neither but when we have sailed with our DBIL who suffered a stroke and has use of only one hand, we eat in the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We do not do tours at all ports, especially in the Caribbean and Mexico and have eaten lunch in the MDR on most of those those port days. Since they stopped the ice cream in the afternoons in the HC, lunch in the MDR is one of two opportunities each day to have ice cream or maybe a souffle of creme brulee for desert. YUM :)

ITA with the above post and all other post concerning folks with food allergies and disabilities...the MDR should be open on port days.

My friend (who I have cruised with twice) has food allergies. She had to have all her meals cooked separate and special for her. She had to go over the menu the day before with the Maitre'D and Chef for all her meals. She could not eat in the buffet, or eat any burgers/hot dogs, pizza because of cross contamination issues she had. Therefore, since this new policy of Princess has come out...she will not be able to cruise with them now.

If Princess continues with not opening up the MDR during port days...I think there will be more issues...health-wise for those with this type of health problems. Princess will either have to have the option for folks with allergies/disabilities to be able to have more food choices through room service..thus creating more work for the staff to deliver these meals to their passengers. Passengers with these issues should NOT have to pay extra just to have a meal on the ship while at port.

I hope that Princess looks at this new change a bit closer and decide to have the MDR open up on port days. I know my friend will be unable to cruise with them again.

The HC court is pretty well staffed on port days so I doubt that all the dining room staff would be sent there. I still think it is a good idea as normally the dining room is not very crowded on port days. On most cruises, the majority of people are off the ship during lunch times.

Cruzgal, please read the post below as it explains why many people feel a dining room should be available on port days for lunch. The items in the Horizon Court are usually not well marked and serving tools may cause cross contamination (a major reason why I won't treat myself to an egg roll at Panda Express when my daughter is getting a meal there -- the servers often use the tongs for the egg rolls to pick up pieces of shrimp which I'm highly allergic to).

ITA with the above post and all other post concerning folks with food allergies and disabilities...the MDR should be open on port days.

My friend (who I have cruised with twice) has food allergies. She had to have all her meals cooked separate and special for her. She had to go over the menu the day before with the Maitre'D and Chef for all her meals. She could not eat in the buffet, or eat any burgers/hot dogs, pizza because of cross contamination issues she had. Therefore, since this new policy of Princess has come out...she will not be able to cruise with them now.

If Princess continues with not opening up the MDR during port days...I think there will be more issues...health-wise for those with this type of health problems. Princess will either have to have the option for folks with allergies/disabilities to be able to have more food choices through room service..thus creating more work for the staff to deliver these meals to their passengers. Passengers with these issues should NOT have to pay extra just to have a meal on the ship while at port.

I hope that Princess looks at this new change a bit closer and decide to have the MDR open up on port days. I know my friend will be unable to cruise with them again.

DW and I always eat in the MDR on port days.

Food is very subjective and this is our preference. The HC always seems crowded and doesn't offer the dining experience we prefer for lunch.

I don't think a solution to closing the MDR is opening another fee dining room.

Over the years we have noticed a decline in the cruising experience and this appears to be Princess' latest take-away.

We did e-mail customer service and got the standard, canned reply but at least we added our voice of dissent.

Hi All

Well looks like most people still want to be able to sit down for a real lunch,

and at least half would pay if they had to, to get this service.

I wonder if Princess are brave enough to do a little trial to see if it works,

if they do they need to advertise the fact, so that we can pick that cruise, over another.

yours Shogun

I would pay the fee, IF I had the choice to eat with only my own party. I like to meet people, just not over food. I would welcome the chance to try a much smaller version of the specialty restaurant's meals. I'm middle aged, never really had a big appetite anyway, but clearly don't need that much food now. This has made these not pay off for me. But if for $5 I could try an appetizer and one entree, or a one plate meal with meat and veggies, I would do it happily.

Not having the dining room open is a change in the cruise experience that many purchased for their upcoming cruise. If you are not on cruise critic or their Facebook page, you have no idea about this large change in policy as Princess has not bothered making an announcement or emailing those with cruises booked.

I am sure the ships are seeing some backlash. After all, while researching your cruise, the policy was one thing and you get on board and find something else.

Would I pay a fee for lunch? I guess if I had lots of port days that I was on board. Just a few and I'm happy having pizza or a burger.

Archived