Dawn or Sea princess

Hi All,

My mum and her friend are both in their mid 80's and have just found out that there are some very good last minute prices available for a 13 night cruise from Sydney to New Zealand in October.

They are both in a bit of a dither about trying to plan a holiday at the last moment but I am urging my mum to go, life is too short but we are all a little confused.

The prices are available on either the Pacific Dawn or the Sea Princess. Does anyone have any input as to which ship would be better? I think windows are still available on Pacific Dawn and Balcony's are available on the Sea Princess.

They would like a room with a window.

Thanks for any help, it is all a bit of a rush.

Quasar

Hi All,

My mum and her friend are both in their mid 80's and have just found out that there are some very good last minute prices available for a 13 night cruise from Sydney to New Zealand in October.

They are both in a bit of a dither about trying to plan a holiday at the last moment but I am urging my mum to go, life is too short but we are all a little confused.

The prices are available on either the Pacific Dawn or the Sea Princess. Does anyone have any input as to which ship would be better? I think windows are still available on Pacific Dawn and Balcony's are available on the Sea Princess.

They would like a room with a window.

Thanks for any help, it is all a bit of a rush.

Quasar

The first Pacific Dawn cruise to NZ for this summer leaves on 19th November. I think the Sea Princess one is 17th October.

November would be warmer than October (one point for Pacific Dawn).

Sea Princess departs from Sydney, whereas Pac Dawn is from Brisbane. I see that you live in Sydney and maybe your Mum does also, so they would not have the cost and bother of airfares to Brisbane. (one point for Sea Princess)

The age group of passengers on Princess is a bit older than on P & O (one point for Sea Princess).

In my opinion Pacific Dawn is a 3-star ship and Princess ships are 4 star (one more point for Sea Princess.)

P & O has more activities, particularly deck sports than Princess (this probably wouldn't bother your Mum too much)

I think the Sea Princess has relocated temporarily to Australia, and it might still be operating as an 'American' ship, i.e. everything on board charged in US$. This wouldn't be too much bother, but the ladies need to know before they go. If it is still operating that way, the tipping might be auto-tipping whereas the Australian ships have eliminated tipping.

I think the main factors would be

1. the simplicity of starting and ending a cruise in Sydney if that is where they live. Therefore Sea Princess.

2. I would rather go in November than October, but it is going to be very cold on both cruises. Therefore Dawn Princess.

Difficult choice when there are so many factors, and then there is the price of the cruise. Is it identical? What about the ports?

Looking at this again, maybe you meant the Dawn Princess leaving from Sydney on 19th October only two days after the Sea Princess. If so, please dis-regard most of the above. There would be no flights involved with either, there would be no difference in the weather. It comes down to whether the Sea Princess is operating as an American ship (on board currency and tipping policy). If it is, I would suggest the Dawn Princess rather than the Sea Princess. The Dawn Princess and Sun Princess have had many changes made in the way they operate to fit in with Australian tastes - everything from food to activities.

Aus Traveller,

Thank you so much for this comprehensive review, you have been so helpful.

I shall pass the information on to the ladies so that they can make a more informed decision.

Hugs to you for being so generous with your time and expertise.

Quasar

If you are meaning Dawn Princess and not Pacific Dawn, the Dawn Princess is a sister ship to both Sun Princess and Sea Princess so all 3 ships are the same.....Sea Princess is arriving here on 17th Oct for the Summer season and the prices are very good for the NZ 13 nights.

We have cruised Dawn Princess twice before and really love this class of ship so much so that we booked last week for Sea Princess 30th Oct cruise, yes it's short notice but at a great price I would encourage your Mum and her friend to book :):D

If you are meaning Dawn Princess and not Pacific Dawn, the Dawn Princess is a sister ship to both Sun Princess and Sea Princess so all 3 ships are the same.....Sea Princess is arriving here on 17th Oct for the Summer season and the prices are very good for the NZ 13 nights.

We have cruised Dawn Princess twice before and really love this class of ship so much so that we booked last week for Sea Princess 30th Oct cruise, yes it's short notice but at a great price I would encourage your Mum and her friend to book :):D

Have to agree with Izabelle, I think you will find these deals are for the Dawn Princess not Pacific Dawn, and the Sea Princess as I have been watching them enviously, having travelled on both Dawn & Sun Princess several times I can highly reccommend this class of ship, just wish I could afford the time to try out the Sea Princess, especially at these great prices, also as has been said Sea Princess while in Australia, all on board costs will be in Australian dollars and as the Sun and Dawn Princess no gratuities. Robin:)

My apologies for posting in the wrong place.

Thank you for all your help.

My mum slept on the idea overnight and with a little pushing this morning I am taking the ladies up their travel agent today to make a booking.

Yes it was the Dawn Princess and Sea Princess, I didn't know there were so many different ships.

I'm so excited for my mum and you have all been so helpful.

Now I want to start planning a cruise for hubby and I, it all looks like such fun:)

Cheers

Quasar

My mum slept on the idea overnight and with a little pushing this morning I am taking the ladies up their travel agent today to make a booking.

Yes it was the Dawn Princess and Sea Princess, I didn't know there were so many different ships.

Now I want to start planning a cruise for hubby and I, it all looks like such fun:)

Cheers

Quasar

Dont forget to purchase FCC (Future cruise credit letter onboard) for $100 it serves as you deposit on future cruises so you dont have to lay out any money to secure a booking, plus OBC and other benefits...well worth and they are good for 4 years..if you dont take another cruise with Princess in that time you can get your money back.

and Princess gets to keep your $$$ until you either use or refund...really good business practise if you ask me..cash cows here they come with this new idea!

They may get to keep my $100 for a while...but better that than having to put down hundreds of dollars each many many months before my cruise don't you think?

For the use of my $100 I also get $150 in OBC I think its a good deal..I don't understand why you would not agree?

They may get to keep my $100 for a while...but better that than having to put down hundreds of dollars each many many months before my cruise don't you think?

For the use of my $100 I also get $150 in OBC I think its a good deal..I don't understand why you would not agree?

Agreed. Just to clarify for anyone who doesn't know how it works, the $100 you pay for the letter becomes your deposit. The OBC is 'money for nothing'. I think it is win-win.

and Princess gets to keep your $$$ until you either use or refund...really good business practise if you ask me..cash cows here they come with this new idea!

Just like the ships tour, chef's table, cover charge restaurants and other things - cash cow. I hope nobody is getting conned by this 'no tipping' on 'Aussie Princess ships,' prices have increased to compensate.

Just like the ships tour, chef's table, cover charge restaurants and other things - cash cow. I hope nobody is getting conned by this 'no tipping' on 'Aussie Princess ships,' prices have increased to compensate.

I don't see that prices have gone up to compensate. The price we paid for a recent long cruise was very similar to what we could have got it for two years ago.

Cheers

Quasar

watch out Quasar its very addictive :D:eek:

I don't see that prices have gone up to compensate. The price we paid for a recent long cruise was very similar to what we could have got it for two years ago.

Have a look at prices for Sun Princess/Dawn Princess world cruises, 2010, 2011, 2012.

fluctuation there.

also have a look at the prices on the Sun & Dawn for another 12 months time but things may change when the US ships come out here

We leave on a 14 day cruise in a couple of weeks and it is $400 PP cheaper than the best price we got last year.

I have noticed some cruises have increased with all lines... maybe it is just the natural increase in costs being passed on?

Regardless, I would rather pay more up front (Aussie style) than pay the cruise price and add on auto tipping later. You pay it anyway so why bother with 2 payments.

I have never heard nor seen anything about the staff actually receiving higher salaries with the tipping included in the price? Is it happening?

Comparison of prices???

I find it impossible to compare prices at all for anything - including cruises. What exactly is the price of anything these days??? For cruises, there is a "glossy brochure price" for every cruise -- but who pays brochure prices?. There is a price that you might pay if you book early (and ensure a cabin), there is a price you may pay late (and get a good deal) , there is a price that you may pay for a "Guarantee" (that you will be on the ship for a cruise, but in what cabin you don't know), there is a price you may pay by using a future cruise letter, there is a price that you may pay using a Travel Agent and another price you may pay if you use another.

No - there is no one price for a cruise, and hence it is impossible to compare the price of cruises.

Barry

I have never heard nor seen anything about the staff actually receiving higher salaries with the tipping included in the price? Is it happening?

We probably haven't heard about this because the staff are not to discuss their wages with passengers. If their wages hadn't gone up, the ships would have trouble finding staff. :) No-one can make them work if the pay isn't good enough.

We have cruised several times since tipping was removed and the staff all appear to be happy.

Archived