holland or princess

b0684

We're looking at both cruise lines for Panama Canal cruise. We are three couples, age range from 65 to 75. Looks like Holland America has a better itineray,( in Aruba for a longer time frame). Never sailed Holland so can't compare it to Princess. Any thoughts on which one would be better. Thanks in advance for any information.

Both lines are owned by the same company. HAL is positioned about one half to one star above Princess by the parent company. Depending on personal preferences you may or may not appreciate the differences. Nonetheless, your group will likely enjoy HAL.

Axiom: All large ship lines are more similar than dissimilar... IMHO.

In comparison -

HAL: Old timey neo-colonial style (Dutch officers, largely Dutch East Indies crew - fewer english fluent). More wood (decks and loungers), smaller ships generally, better cabins (bedding, bathrooms), more impressive dining rooms (two story). Food comparable.

Princess: Larger, more impressive ships generally. More gregarious international crew (more english fluent), MDR service style accordingly. More extensive pools (fresh water on most ships), more active pool deck.

I like both lines. Stylistically, I consider Celebrity, Princess, HAL to be one 'group'. I tend to be itinerary oriented. That is one factor, a substantial price difference is another (individual waller factor). I agree with a prior poster, for a Panama Canal 'experience', a full transit trumps a partial regardless of line.

its totaly subjective...like food /wine/cars/ It boils down to what you like and in truth no one can tell you waht you will like or hate better than you!

For many the less size in ship and passengers is important. For others it is price. And still others activitys. Then others is cabin size.

Write down all the factors you would consider then rate them on a scale of 1to 10 as to how much a specific ship meets those critical points

The score your results according to your objectives and you have a good tool

None of us can really tell you what you are really going to like.... you have to trust your self

Can we receive credit with Holland America?

Only if you cruise HAL. All of the lines under the Carnival corporation maintain separate programs for repeat customers. Hopefully that's what you're asking about.

We are sailing the 11 day 1/2 Panama Canal on HAL in February. For the date we picked, Princess was a day shorter and more expensive for a balcony cabin. We have also been to Grand Cayman many times but never Curacao or Bonaire which HAL visits on this cruise. So there were a couple of factors that put HAL in front for this trip.

We have sailed both and find them comparable expect that the beds and pillows on HAL are super comfy. (I'm pillow picky.)

If the itinerary and price had been the same, I may have had to flip a coin.

We are taking the canal trip on HAL in April. I chose HAL because the trip was one day longer and they had a full day in each port with a better itinerary for me. I don't believe price was a issue. Princess is a nice line however the ship they use for this has to be the same size as HAL so it can fit in the canal. Usually I would take Princess however the itinerary was the deciding factor.

We chose HAL because of the itinerary and price, plus we had a great time last year when we did it on HAL. We also like Princess (as you can see we are doing one in Feb). Either line you will find things you like and things you don't as someone said before it is a matter of personal preference. If you go with the attitude that nothing is ever perfect, you will have a great time on both.

Archived