How many would be willing to give up shows for better food

Dena

I can live without the Broadway style shows. They are much of a muchness. Much prefer to get some belly laughs from a comedian. I like other non-broadway shows (magicians, solo artists) so will go to the alternate venue for after dinner shows. What about introducing a play occasionally?

The food is top quality, so I'd change nothing there. I would however trade shows for a lower pricing on shore excursions.

Well said... to get the level of food service that the OP wishes, you have to go to a pricier luxury line that has smaller, more intimate ships... (Seabourn, Crystal, Regent, SeaDream, etc.). Personally, I think Princess does just fine and I've enjoyed most (not all, but most) meals that I've had onboard.

That's been suggested many, many times but she doesn't want to do it & instead seeks to change the Princess cruises we enjoy to fit her desires. I don't want any more onboard fees & if she wants to have better food on Princess, there's always the specialty restaurants. Or maybe a better option would be to go to RCCL or NCL where they have many more fee based dining choices & if my memory is correct, pay for some better show options.

Like many other times, I agree with you. I have sailed Princess since '88 and for the price I'm paying now I am generally very happy with the quality & selection of food onboard. And with so many repeat passengers, obviously there are many others who feel like me.

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve something on a cruise & I can accept when my suggestions are not implemented whether because of cost or lack of interest from other passengers. Then I just accept it & move on without repeatedly beginning new threads about similar things I would like to see happen. As long as there aren't any radical changes in the Princess experience, they provide the best cruise for the amount paid so will continue to sail them whenever they're my best option.

How about a cover charge for lunch in the dining room on port days? Calculate the losses that having the dining room open cause, divide that by the number of people who would use the venue and then institute the charge. Given that in comparision to the number of people that see shows, the number of people who eat lunch in the dining room is small, seems this would be a better way to resolve the issue.

The shows must be expensive to provide. We personally do not like them and stopped attending a while ago. I know many others who also skip the show. But everybody has to eat and I don't want to see the food slip any further. Maybe having a small cover charge for the shows would make sense. Or how about showing classic movies.

What brings you to the suspicion that what you describe is our future?

Your onboard bill might be higher, but your initial cruise cost would be lower, and your total could be lower. For example if someone wants 2 dollar slice of pizza for lunch and I want a 20 dollar sit down lunch, why should the pizza eater subsidize me? I might skip a 5 dollar show at night. It would be easy to implement just swipe the cruise card. This way the cost of getting on the ship is kept low and everyone can customize their vacation with features that are important to them. I suspect, whether we like it or not, this is the future. As far as me going to a more premium all-inclusive line, that is the complete opposite of what I am suggesting.

In our 15 years of cruising with Princess I have not seen a diminishing of available slections. There are usually at least five different entres plus the always available items. I have also seen the menu selection change over the years to different dishes and some of the same popular items. Any restaurant that has multiple pages of menu will fail.

It was not the number of items available but the items themselves that I referred to. Although I do believe the menu today is shorter than then. Plus the "Always Available" side today is hardly the alternative it was. When I look back on the twenty or so cruises I have taken with Princess, I see that what was offered back then was a more sumptuous selection of entrees and they were not offered but once but several times in conjunction with other items. The thought that, whether or not I'm in the mood, I had better have the rack of lamb tonight for we'll not see it's like for the remained of the cruise is more prevalent now than back then.

How about a cover charge for lunch in the dining room on port days? Calculate the losses that having the dining room open cause, divide that by the number of people who would use the venue and then institute the charge. Given that in comparision to the number of people that see shows, the number of people who eat lunch in the dining room is small, seems this would be a better way to resolve the issue.

That works for me.

Exactly, even better than fine. For someone that doesn't bother going to the shows and doesn't like the food, the better question would be to ask "Why am I still cruising with Princess?".

Actually, the question would be "Why am I still cruising?" For me, it is part and parcel of the cruise. Do I see every show on every cruise? Of course not. Do I still see a show once in a while, yes, of course. It is all about choices.

I feel very fortunate to be able to go on one or two cruises a year (if I did not have to work, it certainly be more). Princess gives a great value and I really enjoy cruising on those beautiful ships.

I would say I'm sure it will get there someday.

Remember how pumping your own gas gave you a lower price?

Remember how bagging your own grocery's saved you money?

If they started dumping the show's for "better food," the next

thing you know there will be a cover charge for ALL meals.

That works for me.

Not when you find out the price of opening up the dining room for 50 people it won't. After all how many people are willing to pay extra for lunch, especially when the buffet is open for free.

Not when you find out the price of opening up the dining room for 50 people it won't. After all how many people are willing to pay extra for lunch, especially when the buffet is open for free.

On our many cruises there have been much more than 50 people in the DR on port days. In fact, it was usually at least 3/4 filled or more. That includes the Caribbean cruises which, as you previously stated, is what you do most.

On our many cruises there have been much more than 50 people in the DR on port days. In fact, it was usually at least 3/4 filled or more. That includes the Caribbean cruises which, as you previously stated, is what you do most.

Just wait till they find out there's Princess would be charging for what would be a free lunch & the numbers will drop considerably.

Sure, but that's for a 'free' (included) meal. I bet that would drop off considerably if there was a charge.

We seldom eat lunch in the MDR, and never on port days, so closing it doesn't matter much to me, but I can see that it would be annoying if that's what you are used to.

I'd rather see it closed than start (further) down the extra charge road!

Sure, but that's for a 'free' (included) meal. I bet that would drop off considerably if there was a charge.

We seldom eat lunch in the MDR, and never on port days, so closing it doesn't matter much to me, but I can see that it would be annoying if that's what you are used to.

I'd rather see it closed than start (further) down the extra charge road!

I guess I do not understand what you are trying to say, but that's just me. I still do not see wherre the savings are! Can you?

Your onboard bill might be higher, but your initial cruise cost would be lower, and your total could be lower. <SNIP>

Emphasis on the could. But, in the long run, I doubt that it would be for the vast majority of cruisers. One of the nice things about a cruise now is the almost prix fixe nature of the experience. Just like at a fancy restaurant, the fixed price menu is almost always cheaper than ordering a la carte. If you find yourself annoyed at all the sales pitches that have been creeping into the Princess cruise experience, just imagine what it would be like if they went to a "pay-as-you-go" system. Or, better yet, book your next cruise on NCL.

Besides, look what this kind of "cut the up-front costs and make up for it with baggage fees, etc., etc. . . ." strategy has done for the airline industry. I don't want to spend my cruise doing without, settling for less, etc., etc. in an effort to keep expenses down; and I sure don't want to make cruising more like flying . . . or worse yet, kill off the industry.

The shows must be expensive to provide. We personally do not like them and stopped attending a while ago. I know many others who also skip the show. But everybody has to eat and I don't want to see the food slip any further. Maybe having a small cover charge for the shows would make sense. Or how about showing classic movies.

I want both!

I can't imagine a cover charge for shows and can't imagine classic movies being that well attended. I haven't attended a production show in my last few cruises but love to have the option. I do attend many of the other types of shows like comedians, etc. I don't think the food has slipped that much - at least not enough for me to be willing to pay a cover charge on a cruise ship for a show.

I guess I do not understand what you are trying to say, but that's just me. I still do not see wherre the savings are! Can you?

I guess we're not on the same page, because I don't get your post either. Did I quote the wrong post?

What I meant was, I think fewer people would eat in the MDR on port days if there was a surcharge. I actually had no idea that many people did eat there on port days, since we never have.

I see where the savings are for the cruise line by providing fewer meals; I don't see why having more surcharges would be a savings for us cruisers, though. I honestly doubt if cruise prices would fall much if everything was ala carte--airline prices sure didn't.

We would definitely not be in favor of giving up shows in exchange for better food. We find the food perfectly acceptable, and we enjoy the shows. They are among the highlights of our cruises.

As the comedian said on our recent Princess cruise: "I may not be the best comedian available, but I am the best comedian in my price range."

. I am OK with cruising becoming entirely pay as you go for food, drinks, entertainment etc. .

Why stop there?

Hotels charge for turn down service and use of the fitness facility , why not on a cruise?

What about key fee that is only refundable when you return your key?

Or service charge to use the pool?

Why stop there?

Hotels charge for turn down service and use of the fitness facility ' date=' why not on a cruise?

What about key fee that is only refundable when you return your key?

Or service charge to use the pool?[/quote']

Or an hourly charge to use a lounge chair by the pool. Double charge if only a book and towel are on it.

Archived