Duty free alcohol

BroomeGirl67

Could you please answer this question for HAL newbie?

We are sailing on the Noordam Oct 5 for 20 days. When the cruises ends we are visiting family in Italy.

We are buying duty-free alcohol in Bangkok on our way to Rome, as gifts for various relatives, not to drink ourselves. I believe they will take it off us at embarkation, but will they give it back at disembarkation?

Thank you in advance

They likely will detect it and embargo it for the cruise and return it to you at disembarkation. You may need to go get it at disembarkation. I would suggest you put it in your carryon bag and actually declare it when boarding as opposed to appearing to be sneaking it on in your checked bag. In any event I might email Guest Relations in Seattle and ask.

My only caution would be we're talking Italian duty free rules and laws, not US. The procedure on the ship to give you back your liquor might be the same but Italian Customs may be different. Italy used to limit hard liquor duty free to one bottle per person but I don't know if that's still true.

My only caution would be we're talking Italian duty free rules and laws, not US. The procedure on the ship to give you back your liquor might be the same but Italian Customs may be different. Italy used to limit hard liquor duty free to one bottle per person but I don't know if that's still true.

Good Point -- I had forgotten about Italy's laws.

Good Point -- I had forgotten about Italy's laws.

We just got off the Noordam in Civitavecchia a few weeks ago and did not have to go through either Italian Immigration or Customs officials. Just walked off the ship, picked up our bags in the terminal and hopped into a waiting car. Much better than coming back to San Diego or San Pedro :eek:

We just got off the Noordam in Civitavecchia a few weeks ago and did not have to go through either Italian Immigration or Customs officials. Just walked off the ship, picked up our bags in the terminal and hopped into a waiting car. Much better than coming back to San Diego or San Pedro :eek:

Another good point....no idea how strict or watchful Italian officials are at the ports. Of course I kind of look back and smile a bit thinking about our disembarkations here in the US. We've never had a problem but it seems like there's always some poor soul over in a corner of the terminal with a couple of US Customs folks doing everything but a strip search. :)

Thanks for your speedy replies. :)

Thanks for mentioning the duty free allowances totally forgot about that too:rolleyes:

Thanks for the good idea re declaring as soon as we get on.

13 more days for our first HAL cruise. :cool: Have been reading CC for the past couple of months and the advice has been so valuable.

Thanks and here's to smooth sailing

Archived