Have you seen this?? Interesting

joeyancho

Well, the article's premise is somewhat misleading. The banner line heralds 165 persons lost in "recent" years. Dig a few paragraphs into it and you find recent is being defined as since 1995, nearly 17 years ago.

Something else....according to Wikipedia, 13 million folks cruised in 2009. Other google efforts mention 10 million cruisers annually. So maybe it's not as "bizarre" or "disturbing" as the article implies with an average of less than 10 disappearance incidents per year with that many cruisers.

Well, the article's premise is somewhat misleading. The banner line heralds 165 persons lost in "recent" years. Dig a few paragraphs into it and you find recent is being defined as since 1995, nearly 17 years ago.

Something else....according to Wikipedia, 13 million folks cruised in 2009. Other google efforts mention 10 million cruisers annually. So maybe it's not as "bizarre" or "disturbing" as the article implies with an average of less than 10 disappearance incidents per year with that many cruisers.

Agree.

It strikes me as odd that John Halford cruised without his wife... and children too, and then he disappeared. There must be more behind this story... to me, it seems like John had a plan to get away from his family to start a new life.

The article says John went alone because he couldn't afford a family vacation. I would not go on a vacation if I can't afford to bring my family, I would just go to Six Flags or the Dells. Very fishy.

Yes, but still quite sad..

what's always more interesting is you "mostly" never hear about these things unless you look for them.

but i do believe if there were water around highrisers, the amount of people jumping and fallifrom balconies are staggering.

It strikes me as odd that John Halford cruised without his wife... and children too, and then he disappeared. There must be more behind this story... to me, it seems like John had a plan to get away from his family to start a new life.

The article says John went alone because he couldn't afford a family vacation. I would not go on a vacation if I can't afford to bring my family, I would just go to Six Flags or the Dells. Very fishy.

Totally agree. I had the same reaction.

Im with the couple of you, that said it was kinda fishy about one guy. His wife SWEARS he would never do this or that. You can say that, but you dont know what could really be going through a persons head. Anything is possible!

The older people just getting up in the middle of the night and never being seen again. thats kinda of weird. But were these older people ever on medicine? I know A LOT of older people who are on sleep meds and it makes them sleep walk. My grandmother in law does this. and she can do anything that a wake person could do. Its very freaky to watch.

Either way, its very sad. And i dont think i could ever jump over into the water. I guess its the fear of sharks getting me!

Regardless of how rare these disappearances are, they are still very tragic to the families involved. Since we know that most of people who go over the side are under the influence, we probably can presume that these missing people were in a similar state.

That being said, there is more than meets the eye in the case of this Halford.

Doc

I just wasted my time looking up the same facts because you beat me to the punch.

Yes, 165 persons disappeared since 1995 out of around 100 million people. (not to mention at least one of the missing was a crew member, so add at least 10's of thousands of crew members on board all of those ships and the number statistically isn't that high.

Of course, to each of the families of those 165 people it is a horrible horrible frustrating tragedy, and my heart does go out to them - especially the people who have absolutely no answers.

The suicide rate in the US is around 11.3 per 100,000 per year or about .217 per hundred thousand per week. At that rate with 100 million passengers then if the average cruise length was one week you would expect 217 suicides. So 165 missing during the same period is not out of line with an expected suicide rate for the US population, actually a bit lower.

I hate it when the media says someone fell off of a cruise ship. Nobody falls, Jumps or was pushed but not felled.

Drinking effects equilibrium...leaning over a ships railing when drunk can easily result in a fall that, if it's late at night, might go unnoticed.

Okay, here comes the stone cold skeptic in me. The article is essentially meaningless. As others have mentioned, the numbers who mysteriously die, intentionally disappear, or kill themselves on cruise ships are hardly any different than the same number of people picked at random from any general population.

They might as well have mentioned that every one of these people had a) experienced at least one thunderstorm in the last 12 months b) drank a beverage on the same day that they vanished c) watched television at least once in their cabin -- I mean, how weird is that? Right?

It's a silly shock story.

Compare that to people who die just getting into their cars and driving down the road (statistically between 30,000 and 50,000 each year over the past three decades in the U.S. alone). Now that's an unfathomable slaughter, yet more people own cars and hold licenses in the U.S. than any time since the auto was invented. As for cruise ship deaths, the numbers would have to skyrocket before it even got a yawn out of me.

maybe big bad bermuda triangle only eats 10 people a year because he has a tiny tummy!

Archived