San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

I made the same mistake...

:o

BTW--

Which "Of The Seas" is drydocked here in SF this week?

Right outside our front door -- that's the Vision of the Seas :D . I have no idea what they're doing though.

Anybody know what that big ship is that just docked in the drydock off of Poterero Point? I saw it last night and this morning but didn't see any insignia or branding.

Only a week and a half until we leave for Asia! :D

Not that I can find -- and it's too dark by the time I get home to snap a photo!

I did go take the pup for a long walk and can tell it's another RCCL "... of the Seas" but am not sure which one. Monarch? It's a sovereign class ship, not one of the huge new ones like the Vision that was here just a week or so ago.

I'll try to take a closer look (and a snapshot) over the weekend. Just 10 days until we leave (but who's counting?)?

I don't know exactly but I recall one of our regulars (Beav? BepSF?) said that the aloha smokestacks belong to the SS Independence which has been over in drydock for over 2 years now. I think the story was that someone bought her and then the plans to refurbish fell through -- I would think that sitting in drydock all this time must be costing them a fortune too.

Ruthie will be boarded at her second most favorite place in the world, her Doggy Day Care facility; the SF Hound Lounge. We'd love to smuggle her on board but would rather do without the smell of dog poop permeating the cabin on the flight over to Hong Kong. ;)

OK, Monarch was last week...

...looks like a Radiance-Class ship in drydock today - Which is it???

I wonder where all the furnishings end up?

Anyone wanna go dumpster-diving? ;)

AeroBear--

Just getting ready for NYC and Noordam here!

Just snagged a deal on the RSVP cruise on 2/26. I hear there are lots of SF folks on as well.. It should be fun.

Ed

Ed--

You guys are gonna have a great time!

I sure wish I could be in two places at once, cause I'd love to be there with you!

Brian,

With your sailing on the Noordam, I think you will have a great time and an awesome experience. Look forward to pics and stories.

We have also booked a shorty up the coast on the Coral Princess (may 18 sf-astoria/victoria/vancouver) Thought we might take the train home. Have you ever done that?

Ed/Jeff

Ed/Jeff, we've done the same cruise, and it was fun, albeit too short. Lots of locals though. Frineds did the train thing, and had a great time, but said to beware what you book. There's apparently a train from Vancouver, booked through Amtrak, that's actually a bus to Seatte. But they do also run a real train, just not as frequently.

Have fun!

Andrew

Brian,

We have also booked a shorty up the coast on the Coral Princess (may 18 sf-astoria/victoria/vancouver) Thought we might take the train home. Have you ever done that?

Ed/Jeff

I've never done a coastal (tho I've done a Coastie! :D)

I'm afraid that after only a couple days aboard ship that the staff would have a difficult time prying my cold-wet fingers off the railing to go home!

Brian,

That is the hardest part of the Coastal cruise, having to get off in only 4 days. I am just settling in and then "POOF" they send those damn luggage tags to your room and you know you are doomed to set foot on land again.

Ed/Jeff

Ed/Jeff,

We've done the cruise up and Amtrak home thing and as I recall, the train leaves Vancouver around 6 at night and gets into Seattle around 10, but the Coast Starlight leaves the next morning, so you'll have to arrange overnight accomodations in Seattle. It's a nice way to come home, though I'd advise springing for a higher class sleeper cabin, as the lowest class has bunk beds and that upper berth is kind of tight.