I only have a birth cert (original) for my cruise to Bahamas....

mattamy

And i keep seeing everyone mention having a passport. I'm I ok?? I know to bring my drivers license as well. Just read the stressed out dudes post and now I'm right there with him...eek: Heck, I wasnt as nervous for my own wedding...and I did a surprise ave Maria solo:confused:

I hope I'm good....cause I cruiseout on Monday...or do I?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that an original (hospital issued) birth certificate will not work. It has to be a state-certified copy with a raised seal. :confused:

No one used the words "hospital issued", but yes it has to be a government issued BC. I think you're making a leap from the word "original" and assuming the OP meant hospital issued by that...maybe the OP did, or maybe not.

OP just make sure you have the correct BC acceptable.

Beginning April 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of State will require the full names of the applicant’s parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. This will not affect applications already in-process that have been submitted or accepted before the effective date.

In addition to this requirement, certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

Full name of the applicant

Date of birth

Place of birth

Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority

Registrar’s signature

The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

Here is a new thread on the forum about close call with wrong BC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487879

In the case of vital records, "original" means the certificate as made/certified by the registrar (for death and birth certificates) or clerk (marriage certificates). Photocopies of and/or any alterations to the certificate makes the "record" not acceptable because it is no longer in its original state of issuance.

Original does not mean the first one you got. Original does not mean the actual record filed with government agency required to keep it. It simply means what I stated above.

OP just make sure you have the correct BC acceptable.

Beginning April 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of State will require the full names of the applicant’s parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. This will not affect applications already in-process that have been submitted or accepted before the effective date.

In addition to this requirement, certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

Full name of the applicant

Date of birth

Place of birth

Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority

Registrar’s signature

The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

Here is a new thread on the forum about close call with wrong BC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487879

I hope that I will not have a problem. I was adopted so I have a state of nj birth certain, all other info, raised seal but the date is almost 2 years after my birth date. It's the only one I have or will be able to get as nj is a sealed record state. I have a passport but it is expired but may bring that as backup.

I hope that I will not have a problem. I was adopted so I have a state of nj birth certain, all other info, raised seal but the date is almost 2 years after my birth date. It's the only one I have or will be able to get as nj is a sealed record state. I have a passport but it is expired but may bring that as backup.

The date on your BC shouldn't matter..as long as it's a state issued BC with a raised seal. The date on it is just when you requested a copy of your BC. There is no way everyone has a copy of their original state issued birth certificate. Overall though, it sounds like you will be fine! Have fun!

The date on your BC shouldn't matter..as long as it's a state issued BC with a raised seal. The date on it is just when you requested a copy of your BC. There is no way everyone has a copy of their original state issued birth certificate. Overall though, it sounds like you will be fine! Have fun!

No it isn't. The date the poster is referring to is the date the certificate was filed with the registrars office. Under State Department guidelines, that date has to be within one year of the date of birth for the BC to serve as primary evidence of US citizenship for purposes of issuing a passport.

I understand the bit about only needing a DL and BC if we are starting and ending at the same place on the same ship. But what about getting off the ship in the Bahamas? Do we need passports for off-ship excursions?

No passport is needed to get off the ship...you're free to go ashore at any port of call. Just carry you drivers license and ship's room key card with you when you go.

Good Luck Monday! I am cruising with 13 in our family and several friends of family. I worried and worried about getting passports or not. Hated to spend soo much money for 4 passports! Certainly did not want any problems when we got down to board as hubby is not totally all about this cruise as I am.

Luckily I did this because when I went to get his state cert. birth certificate his name is spelled wrong! LOL. I called several agencies and they said it was a minor viration and would be fine. Passports issued but his arrived 2 weeks after everyone elses.

I'm sure you will be fine. I'm a worrier. :(

I still wonder why American citizens are willing to leave the country without a passport.....Based on how long they last they are WAY worth the peace of mind to have......... Consider it just a part of the trips expenses......;);)

because unlike Europe where its unusual not to have a passport only about 35% of Americans have one.....and to the Caribbean or Mexico or Canada until recently it wasn't required at all...

Archived