Obnoxious Table Mates???

Thanks for the input Snoopy.

I would be so embarassed if my child had a tantrum in the dining room (or any other public place) that she'd be packed up and removed back to the cabin. She just doesn't listen to reason sometimes, I just don't get it. What is it with these three year olds anyway. LOL.

We definitely won't be "taking the cake" from other passengers.

Thanks for the input Snoopy.

I would be so embarassed if my child had a tantrum in the dining room (or any other public place) that she'd be packed up and removed back to the cabin. She just doesn't listen to reason sometimes, I just don't get it. What is it with these three year olds anyway. LOL.

We definitely won't be "taking the cake" from other passengers.

My goodness...what does she think she is...a child? ;)

My 2 cents as a DINK who loves kids. Note: this is not a criticism, just meant as food for thought. Although it is embarassing for a parent to have a child with a temper tantrum, at 3YO, she has to learn what is proper behaviour in public. I personally think that a good way to teach kids what is proper is to take them away (say a rest room, out in the hallway, on deck...anywhere away from other pax) until they can calm down. When they've calmed down, you return to the table. The point is that toddlers have tantrums...they all do. Being taken away completely (like back to the cabin) feels more like punishment than teaching. Being able to return to the table when the tantrum is over helps not only with negative reinforcement but also with positive reinforcement (bad behaviour goes away, good behaviour returns).

Again, remember that although I've done a lot of child care, this is from someone with no real experience of child rearing skills, just an opinion.

Quote:

"We had a single woman @ our table who was Asian and spoke no english.

She came to dinner the first night WEARING her life vest. An Asian waiter explained to her that she did not have to wear it through out the whole cruise, but she carried it around with her the entire cruise!

She would also pick up her plate and lick it!

She was not obnoxious in any way but she was Very Strange!" - end Quote.

Yikes! ! !

I think if I had this person at my table, I'd not only ask for another table, I'd ask for a DIFFERENT SHIP ! ! !

We had wonderful table mates on our (first and only) cruise. The other 6 at our table were from all over the U.S., including two from New York. He was a retired NY cop, and yes they were very outspoken, lot's of that "NY attitude". (ie - ...so, yous guys are from Canada "eh"?... so howbigs your igloo??, yuck, yuck). Groan.

Well, it was all in fun, and we rolled with it. (sometimes the jokes were at our expense), but we got him back the odd time.

Anyway, to make a long story short, our tablemates had such a good time together, that we would be the last ones to leave the dining room, and often some or all of us would spend the day together up on pool deck, etc..

The most fun was had when we went as a group in the "Quest".

My fingers are crossed, when we do the VOS this August.

Hey

Cool thread..

When DH/I were on Nordic in July 2003, we had a "sex couple" next to us. They were at it all the time and we heard ALL OF IT!. One day we placed our ears up to the wall and man did we get an earfull. They were telling dirty jokes to each other, saying nasty things to each other, he was spanking her butt (and yes we heard that as well) and of course everything else during/afterwards. It was a riot. If they ever came out of the cabin we sure didn't see them.

While we were packing toward the end of the cruise, the sex continued next door. We said the heck with it and when they were finished we clapped and yelled "way to go, their finished!". We didn't hear anything after that but at least we put our two cents in.

One of those things you just had to be there for!

C Ya!

WeBeCruisin': If you reread your original post, you might see that, absent any actual vocal "tone" to imply that you were being humorous, your statement that conversations "sink to the lowest common denominator" could be construed as literary or intelligence "snobbiness." Particularly because you listed Joyce and Shakespeare first in your comparison of authors. I felt your attitude was that most people are essentially uninformed or illiterate.

However, we can't "hear" how another poster intends to convey a particular thought. (After all, those little smilies can only go so far.) I am willing to admit that I judged you more harshly than you deserved, but I still believe that your first post implied a superiority over other, less well-read, people. I was trying to convey my opinion that Shakespeare and King are not mutually exclusive. It sounded to me like you were stating your opinion that they are. (That is the only reason I included anything about my background. I have never, not once, on these boards mentioned anything about that in all my time here because I felt it was immaterial to the conversation.)

Your response to me was pretty defensive itself. I didn't ask for your entire CV, but thanks anyway.

Perhaps it is better that we not be table mates--I suspect that we would not get along any better in person than we do here. Hard to know though because, as you know, the written word and the spoken word are miles apart in interpretation.

To everyone else: I apologize if it seems like I hijacked this thread. That was not my intention. I absolutely agree that the best way to determine appropriate subjects to discuss with strangers is to listen to them speak with the people they already know. I also think it's best not to be offended if a table mate doesn't want to discuss a particular subject--it's probably not a personal insult to you. When someone doesn't want to talk about something (whether it's where they are from, what they do for a living, or what their relationship is), I respect that and move on to another topic.

beachchick

(who would prefer not to be told to "chill" or [get] "down")

WeBeCruisin, planted the seed.

My goodness...what does she think she is...a child? ;)

My 2 cents as a DINK who loves kids. Note: this is not a criticism, just meant as food for thought. Although it is embarassing for a parent to have a child with a temper tantrum, at 3YO, she has to learn what is proper behaviour in public. I personally think that a good way to teach kids what is proper is to take them away (say a rest room, out in the hallway, on deck...anywhere away from other pax) until they can calm down. When they've calmed down, you return to the table. The point is that toddlers have tantrums...they all do. Being taken away completely (like back to the cabin) feels more like punishment than teaching. Being able to return to the table when the tantrum is over helps not only with negative reinforcement but also with positive reinforcement (bad behaviour goes away, good behaviour returns).

Again, remember that although I've done a lot of child care, this is from someone with no real experience of child rearing skills, just an opinion.

Snoopy -- good job for a DINK. As a mother of five kids (now ranging from 8 to 20), I completely agree with you. Take them away immediately when they are out of control, try to calm them down, and if it works, bring them back. Sometimes it doesn't work and it's just time for a nap, bedtime, etc.

Snoopy -- good job for a DINK. As a mother of five kids (now ranging from 8 to 20), I completely agree with you. Take them away immediately when they are out of control, try to calm them down, and if it works, bring them back. Sometimes it doesn't work and it's just time for a nap, bedtime, etc.

Thanks! I've actually done quite a bit of child sitting for nieces and friends...I'm actually a favorite with many of "my kids." And since I am not the parent, I usually don't get the behaviour problems that their parents get (kids usually know how to best handle their parents, but don't always know what works or doesn't work with a different adult).

My favorite was one day when I took my then 3 YO niece and my mother out shopping at a mall. Grandma wanted to look for something in one store. While we were waiting for Grandma, my niece (who was in need of a nap, but refused to take one) had a little temper tantrum when I wouldn't let her play with the clothes on the display. So we moved over in the middle of the wide entrance to the department store. The only thing there was to play with was the big steel sign about the "sale" and she couldn't move it. Grandma took about 20 minutes...during that time, just standing, then sitting on the ground with nothing to do, my niece just passed out on the floor. I just stood over her and let her sleep. Everyone passing by looked at us (me standing guard over her) with a "oh, how cute" look on their faces. When my mother came back, I lifted her up, and put her in her reclining stroller and off we went. My mother and I got to spend almost 2 hours shopping before she woke up. Then we played with her and did some things she wanted to do for about a half hour and went home.

We had wonderful tablemates on our last cruise. One couple was from Scotland and we just adore them. As a matter of fact, we've become such good friends that we're sailing again in May together. We asked for a table for two and got a table for six. We hung out with our tablemates the whole cruise and had the most wonderful experience. It amazes me how RCCL matched us up (two couples from the South and a Scottish couple). I just hope all of you can experience what we did on our last cruise. We had the time of our lives.

:D

On one cruise, one of the couples at our table seemed rather, well, boring. Not unpleasant, just not compelling. She was a soon-to-retire schoolteacher, and he was (I think) an accountant. Yawn.

At the 60's-70's Dance Party in Studio B, we saw them CUTTING LOOSE like you wouldn't believe! Those two could DANCE, and they were having a BLAST.

Got a whole new perspective. :)

Carol

On our last cruise in February, my wife and I were seated with two other couples. One of the couples we really enjoyed, but the other only wanted to talk about themselves and how much money and property they had. I've always heard that if someone talks about what they possess then they truly don't possess anything. On several occassions it became obvious that they were addicted to gambling and alcohol and I eventually began feeling a bit sorry for them. Oh well, it takes all kind of folks to make up a cruise ship.

[quote name='1corona4u']LOl, just don't tell them.....say he's a vaccum cleaner salesman....or something. :D I don't think they will just know that if you don't tell them....unless it's obvious in some way?

I can relate though, when people find out what I do, they want to know all about it, and how I started it...I got burned out after the first 300 times or so, that people were asking...now I just say, I don't know, I just did, and leave it at that... LOL......[/QUOTE]

Vacuum Cleaner Salesman--that put a smile on my face.

We have a friend who is a sales manager for a car dealership. He HATES telling people what he does, usually just says he's in "sales" and leaves it at that.

Anne

But dexter, when I'm on a cruise, I am addicted to gambling and alcohol.

[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYBCUS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_10.gif[/img][/url] [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYBCUS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_16.gif[/img][/url]

On our first cruise on Disney, we sat with a perfectly delightful family of five - not pretentious, well-behaved kids. I always feel the people who set the dinner seating must look at us and say "what do we do with them" since "us" consists of my mother (71), me (30-something) and my son (10) On our second cruise, our first night we sat with a family with two children -- a daughter my son's age (8) and a son (6). The son proceeded to order ice cream (as his main course) and proceeded to let it melt before ordering another bowl. The father sent his meal back three times and announced to the table that if anything was wrong he could "arrange it." The mother told the waiter at least six times she couldn't believe her daughter ate the whole steak she ordered -- which was not even on the menu. The daughter was sitting next to my mother and repeatedly kicked her. when my mother held her leg and asked her to stop she went over to her father and complained "that lady over there doesn't like me!" She was right! I asked the maitre d' to switch us and he did -- to a table for four which was lonely, but far preferable. Our next cruise we sat with another family of three who only showed up for about three dinners -- conversation was like pulling teeth or maybe a quiz show -- ask a question, recieve a brief answer. Our last cruise we had a delightful family of three with a 13 year old well-behaved son who was also a swimmer like my son. The first night we also had a family of five with well-behaved kids, but they explained (very thoughtfully) they were trying to get changed to the late seating because it fit into their schedule -- which they did. The second night was another family of five with three boys aged 5-11 and very well-behaved, also. The mother was a little uptight, but mostly about the kids manners which were fine. They man and his oldest were there most nights, but he explained his wife preferred to eat earlier in the windjammer with the two younger boys. The one thing that bothered me was every night he would zero in on a comment I'd made -- usually to the other couple since he sat apart down at the other end -- and ask a pointed question I felt was designed to make me back down, contradict myself, or just look foolish or ill informed. I do not have low self-esttem, but also felt it was rude to put me on the spot. He was from British Columbia and the other couple and I talked about the fact that we like our children to be active due to the increase of childhood obesity in the U.S. He asked what people in the U.S. were doing to combat it because they didn't have that problem in Canada! I had just finished a college course in which there were two assignements -- one was a paper on childhood obesity so I was ready, but I didn't like haveing to practically yell my response to the other end of the table. He and his son also wore the same clothes every night -- I like to pack light, too, but a denim shirt every night regardless of dress code? My gripe -- could've been worse -- his kids could've kicked my mother!

[quote name='LetsParty'][font=Georgia][color=black]Hey[/color][/font]

[font=Georgia][color=black]Cool thread..[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black]When DH/I were on Nordic in July 2003, we had a "sex couple" next to us. They were at it all the time and we heard ALL OF IT!. One day we placed our ears up to the wall and man did we get an earfull. They were telling dirty jokes to each other, saying nasty things to each other, he was spanking her butt (and yes we heard that as well) and of course everything else during/afterwards. It was a riot. If they ever came out of the cabin we sure didn't see them. [/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black]While we were packing toward the end of the cruise, the sex continued next door. We said the heck with it and when they were finished we clapped and yelled "way to go, their finished!". We didn't hear anything after that but at least we put our two cents in.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black]One of those things you just had to be there for![/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black]C Ya![/color][/font][/QUOTE]
I had an experience like that once at a hotel in Miami. Well, maybe not as raunchy, but you knew what was going on.

The kicker? The couple next door were my in-laws. Thankfully my hubby slept through it, but I wasn't so lucky. :eek: Talk about feeling awkward at breakfast the next morning. :D

[font=Georgia][color=black]Hey Scarletine:[/color][/font]

[font=Georgia][color=black]:D ROTFLMAO on your post. I would have been in stitches the following day seeing the in-laws. Did you ever tell your DH? I bet you will never forget that....[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black]Thanks for the laugh.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=black]C Ya![/color][/font]

[QUOTE] The "Dad" was probably suffering from the beginnings of Alzheimer's and cried out of humiliation and embarrassment. When you get a little older, you'll be a little better to emphathize in these situations and just count your lucky stars that it hasn't happened to you.... yet.:( [/QUOTE]
My thought's exactly! A gentleman in his 40's can also be the unlucky recipient of Alzheimer's. Unless he was drinking heavly at the table each night, he probably did have a health problem.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='madelinerose']Not sure what "not the norm" is, however, I never use titles for anyone, not even DH. I simply introduce him by his first name. First of all, it's no one's business and if they really [b]need [/b]to know and they don't ask, then I suppose they can just continue to assume.

If you meet 2 females or 2 males who are travelling together, do you ask if they are gay or straight or brothers or sisters or friends. No. Besides, what difference does it make? [/QUOTE]

My husband and I traveled with another couple on our cruise last November. Our travel companions are gay. While they do look similar (both have dark hair and they each had a goatee) that don't look that much alike (in fact, one is Puerto Rican and the other has various European blood in him). Over the course of our 5 night cruise they were asked at least 4 different times if they were twins. Fortunately they are very laid back fellows and were amused by it rather than offended. :)

On our last cruise, our table was next to the matre de's family. The late seating. Two small boys (3 and 4) that ran around and yelled all night. 1 small girl (around 2) still breastfeeding at the table and crying uncontrollably the rest of the time. The adults at the table were oblivious to all of it and talked LOUDLY and disrupted the tables around then throughout dinner. How could we complain about them? It sucked.

Archived