QE2 .. missing in action...

roscoe39

Hi Guys...sorry if this is being coverred...but we flew over Port Rashid in Dubai 3 times in the last week...and shes definately.......not there!.....

Currently pulling into the harbour at split...beautiful sailing weather.....but the mystery is botherring us....any news 0n her whereabouts???

roscoe

Roscoe, I searched various on-line news sources, but found nothing. -S

just spoke two minutes ago to the cheif engineer on board the QV and he hasnt heard anything but will see if he can find out. There was a strong rumour the worse could happen but no news....

suns lovely here in split.......

According to this website it is in 'warm lay-up'

http://www.theqe2story.com/aboutQE2/QE2Today.html

what ever that is.

Enjoy your voyage.

I thought warm lay-up was when a ship was idle but still maintained by a small crew so that it could become active again if necessary. If my understanding is correct, then she has always been in "warm lay-up" since she arrived in Dubai. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on it. I am no expert! :confused:

The article is dated 18 Sep 11 and says 'QE2 today is still in tact but in long term 'warm lay-up' after nearly 3 years stationary at Port Rashid in Dubai.'

As this was from a website devoted to the QE2 I took this to be a new development, but perhaps you are right and it has always been in a 'warm lay up' and I should remember never to trust everything I read.:rolleyes:

Cunard washed its collective hands of her and left her fate to others. The fact that the unique fittings were not retained shows how little they regarded her once they had extracted the last revenue from the old ship.

Now she is in Dubai with so many other unfinished projects it doesn't give a lot of hope for anything to be done any time soon.

Looking back would it not have been better to have sent her to the breakers or sunk her as a diving attraction.

David.

Cunard washed its collective hands of her and left her fate to others. The fact that the unique fittings were not retained shows how little they regarded her once they had extracted the last revenue from the old ship. David.

Hi balf

I agree, many things SHOULD have been saved to be housed on the current 3 ships where possible, in a museum where not.

However, I believe that the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth were also sold "as is" (part of the contract of sale). Had they been been "empty" the sales would not have gone ahead.

To the extent that, on the last cruise to California on QM, when many small items were looted by passengers, all had to be replaced by Cunard who air-freighted packing cases to Long Beach.

Having said that, when I think back at the treasures I saw aboard QE2, it makes me angry that they didn't TRY to strike a deal before the sale.

Have you seen what they pass off as museum exhibits on Q.V.?

Very best wishes.

Hi balf

I agree, many things SHOULD have been saved to be housed on the current 3 ships where possible, in a museum where not.

However, I believe that the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth were also sold "as is" (part of the contract of sale). Had they been been "empty" the sales would not have gone ahead.

To the extent that, on the last cruise to California on QM, when many small items were looted by passengers, all had to be replaced by Cunard who air-freighted packing cases to Long Beach.

Having said that, when I think back at the treasures I saw aboard QE2, it makes me angry that they didn't TRY to strike a deal before the sale.

Have you seen what they pass off as museum exhibits on Q.V.?

Very best wishes.

One of the treasures from the QE2 that I wish that Cunard did not include in the sale to Dubai is the large model of the Cunard Super Liner Mauretania which is located near the entrance to the QE2's Caronia Restaurant.That same model of the Mauretania should be now aboard the QM2 since the QM2 is now the flagship of the Cunard Line. Since the QM2 is a very large ship there are many places aboard QM2 the large Mauretania model can be placed at.Outside the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant on 2 or 3 Deck is a good place to put the large Mauretania model aboard QM2. Regards,Jerry

Pepperrn asked the question have you seen what they pass off as museum exhibits on Q.V.? I have not been aboard QV but I did see in a You Tube video that was filmed aboard QV that there is a model of the White Star Liner Olympic aboard QV.Olympic was the sistership to the 2 ill-fated White Star Ships Titanic and Britannic.If I find this video I'll post it here on this thread. Regards,Jerry

I could not find the video I was looking for.However I did find another Youtube video filmed aboard QV that does have the Cunardia Museum aboard QV and not only the model of the White Star Liner Olympic but also the model of the first Queen Mary. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PeHRvKTKIg You will see both models at around the 2:41 minute mark. Regards,Jerry

Thanks so much for the link. I am going on QV in June'12 so its exciting to see some of her. She is set out just like QE which I had already heard. Love the swarovski chandler and as a sw. collector, cant wait to see that too.

Back to topic, I hope something is eventually done with the old QEII. I would stay on her if she ever became a hotel just to get a glimmer on what it would have been like to cruise on her....

Thanks so much for the link. I am going on QV in June'12 so its exciting to see some of her. She is set out just like QE which I had already heard. Love the swarovski chandler and as a sw. collector, cant wait to see that too.

Back to topic, I hope something is eventually done with the old QEII. I would stay on her if she ever became a hotel just to get a glimmer on what it would have been like to cruise on her....

jcruizer, Have fun on your QV cruise next June.Next June 17th I will also be aboard QM2 for a 14 night back2back Transatlantic crossing.Hopefully the QE2 will not end up at the scrap yard and she becomes a floating hotel/museum like the first Queen Mary.I live in the USA and hopefully the SS United States the fastest Transatlantic Liner ever built will also be able to be saved as a floating hotel/museum. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thanks for your good wishes. Its the Queen's Jubilee trip (5th) and I have just found out that there will be public holidays Monday and Tuesday. If that is not right, can someone let me know...

We stayed on the old Queen Mary last year for 3 nights and I loved the history etc of this old lady. My husband thought it just old... I would imagine that it would cost a fortune just to keep it from deterioration, without even thinking about a full restoration???

Janice

Hi Jerry

Thanks for your good wishes. Its the Queen's Jubilee trip (5th) and I have just found out that there will be public holidays Monday and Tuesday. If that is not right, can someone let me know...

We stayed on the old Queen Mary last year for 3 nights and I loved the history etc of this old lady. My husband thought it just old... I would imagine that it would cost a fortune just to keep it from deterioration, without even thinking about a full restoration???

Janice

Hi Janice, If you don't know all 3 Cunard Queens will be in Southampton on June 5th for the Queen's Jubilee.I also stayed at the Queen Mary in January 2006 after sailing on the New York to Los Angeles segment of the QE2's 2006 World Cruise.I think that the first Queen Mary is a beautiful and classic art deco 1930s era Ocean Liner. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry

Yes I knew that, as that is why I picked this trip. I have not been on QV so it was the perfect choice, and to cruise around the Med.

We are flying through Dubai so not sure that we will see QEII but plan to go for a longer trip another time. Now if the ship was open or similar then, I would love to go see her....

Janice

Hi Jerry

Yes I knew that, as that is why I picked this trip. I have not been on QV so it was the perfect choice, and to cruise around the Med.

We are flying through Dubai so not sure that we will see QEII but plan to go for a longer trip another time. Now if the ship was open or similar then, I would love to go see her....

Janice

Janice, If you are interested here are some videos filmed aboard QE2 last April.Rob Lightbody who is from Scotland and his father did work on the QE2 during her construction at the John Brown Shipyard in Scotland,flew to Dubai to film these videos aboard QE2.Rob also started the QE2 Story website.Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/user/TheQE2Story?blend=22&ob=5 Regards,Jerry

Cunard washed its collective hands of her and left her fate to others. The fact that the unique fittings were not retained shows how little they regarded her once they had extracted the last revenue from the old ship.

Well that's what happens when you sell something. The new owner is responsible for the fate of the item you sold.

Whilst I agree that particular items should have been saved (models of Mauretania etc), I find it hard to understand comments that imply Cunard is somehow negligent in not 'saving' the QE2 and setting her up as some sort of museum or floating hotel. This would be enormously expensive and in all likelihood unprofitable. Such a money pit would put a strain on Cunard's finances and, presumably, they would look to cut costs elsewhere.

Just like General Motors and their pension legacy, it would be difficult for Cunard to make a profit whilst subsiding nostalgic museums.

No other shipping company that I'm aware of preserves their old ships as museums or floating hotels - and no one expects them to.

To my mind, I think it's appropriate that Cunard sell off it's outdated ships and build new ones. I certainly don't want my ticket price, or the level of service I receive, to be compromised by legacy debts to old ships.

Hi Guys...sorry if this is being coverred...but we flew over Port Rashid in Dubai 3 times in the last week...and shes definately.......not there!.....

Currently pulling into the harbour at split...beautiful sailing weather.....but the mystery is botherring us....any news 0n her whereabouts???

roscoe

Hi Roscoe,

where exactly did you look for QE2? Last year she moved from the berth she had been on in Port Rashid since she arrived in Dubai. She was moved to a berth in the Inner Harbour, the reason given at the time being that she was had to be shifted to free up the Port Rashid berth for container traffic.

She was visible at her new berth on the Deira Corniche webam but, for some reason, that doesn't appear to be transmitting live images at the moment. Nevertheless I saw her clearly visible on an image taken by that cam on 29th August 2011 so she could well be still there. Interestingly, given the stated reason for her move, the container cranes at her former berth appear to be absent and the berths at that particular quay appeared to be occupied by naval auxiliaries.

Here's an annotated copy of a section of the 29th August image from the Deira Corniche webcam, showing her original berth and her new berth. The inset shows an enlarged and enhanced section giving a slightly clearer view of QE2 herself.

J

QE2_dubai.jpg

Well that's what happens when you sell something. The new owner is responsible for the fate of the item you sold.

Whilst I agree that particular items should have been saved (models of Mauretania etc), I find it hard to understand comments that imply Cunard is somehow negligent in not 'saving' the QE2 and setting her up as some sort of museum or floating hotel..

I was certainly not implying, and did no say, that Cunard was in any way negligent, or that they should have retained QE2. I did not say anything about setting up a museum or floating hotel.

My point was that Cunard transferred the destiny of the ship to others, which was a quite natural business transaction. They did not have the affection shown to her by many on this forum. If you have been to Dubai lately you would not have much confidence in anything much happening in the near future.

David.

Archived