Near dock in Barbados

saldino

Any shopping or sights to see in easy walking distance of cruise ship dock?

We are dealing with some mobility issues (uses a cane).

Also, we are not interested in beaches or snorkeling, more interested in shopping, sights (history, art), restaurants (good native food) and relaxing and people watching.

Thanks!

Hi

I don't think there is much to see. There are a few shops in the terminal. They also advertise a craft centre which is between the terminal and Bridgetown. We walked to it from Bridgetown but on arriving decided it hadn't been worth the effort.

We felt that the attractions of Babados lie away from Bridgetown and the ports area.

There are many shops right in the cruise terminal both duty free and locally made. This trip I bought ginger beer concentrate to see how it worked for upset stomachs since commercial ginger ale is now all artificial, and a bottle of locally made rum cream which was very good, but could have been better with a little more rum!

There's a local food kiosk at the dock - Millie's. I just had a snack - some kind of fish fritter and the local beer, Banks, but I saw them preparing other meals to go probably for the taxi drivers.

You can also buy locally made rum cakes in the terminal which I meant to try, but forgot.

Pelican Village is the name of the craft emporium a short walk from the dock. It might not be such a short walk, though, with a cane. This trip I toured the Caribbean Cigar Company to see how they hand-produced their Royal Barbados Cigars. They import tobacco leaves from Cuba, freeze them, and thaw and dry them outdoors as needed. They weren't that busy when I was there, but were extremely helpful with information on getting around in Barbados. It was early morning and off-season when I stopped by so many of the shops were closed. There are also restaurants there.

Most of the historical buildings are in town which is about 1/2 mile past Pelican Village.

You might want to take a tour and have them drop you off at Pelican Village and then walk from there to the ship.

I guess we have different expectations!! The shops at the cruise terminal were nothing out of the ordinary and one had empty shelves.

Pelican was the place whose name I'd forgotten. We were there in July and many of the units were empty or closed. The highlight for us was the bar/restaurant.

Ha, ha! I didn't say the shops were extraordinary, but they do have items that are actually produced in Barbados instead of China, and some items (like the ginger beer concentrate) that are different.

On these tiny islands, you have to appreciate the little things.

My opinion, that the walk from the ship through the terminal and its stores, out the port gates, and on to the Pelican Shops would probably be too long for someone who has mobility issues. Everytime we are in Barbados, DH and I walk that distance as it is just before where we catch the public bus at the bus terminal. It is not an easy walk.

• 3 months later...

From the south gatehouse at the traffic circle to Pelican Village is less than a quarter mile (go straight down Princess Alice Hwy). From the cruise terminal to the gatehouse is about 300 yards.

In total, from the ship to Pelican Village would be less than half a mile. Very safe - you're right along the water and the road is fairly busy.

Cheers, P:)

• 2 months later...
From the south gatehouse at the traffic circle to Pelican Village is less than a quarter mile (go straight down Princess Alice Hwy). From the cruise terminal to the gatehouse is about 300 yards.

In total, from the ship to Pelican Village would be less than half a mile. Very safe - you're right along the water and the road is fairly busy.

Hi Aimodels -Can you help please....

Can you please advise...

Pelican Village close to the shops on Broad Street? Directions or can you suggest a map?

Is there a supermarket or drug store like CVS or Walgreens close by - to buy soda or snacks?

Any wine stores you can recommend in the area?

Place to grab a drink and local fare snack?

Thank you in advance -

Pelican Village is about 5 blocks from the west end of Broad Street.

Not sure about a pharmacy, but there are a lot of small shops along Broad St. where you can buy soda or snacks. When in doubt, there is a Cave Shepherd about 5 blocks down from the west end of Broad St.

Not sure about a wine store, although I know Cave Shepherd sells hard liquor...

There's a place in Pelican Village called Sylvester's - the food is good and not too expensive. You can also buy drinks there.

Walking is FREE and easy, so some images from our experience (Day after Christmas 2011):

47a2df32b3127cce9855342b4e2200000058100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Passenger Cruise Terminal & Summit in Bridgetown, Barbados (Monday 12.26.2011)

In January 1994, the newly refurbished and exclusive Passenger Terminal was officially opened. There are 20 large Duty-Free shops with an additional 12 Small Carts and a Chattel House Village for small vendors. Customs, Immigration, Health, Security and the Tourism Authority offices are located in the Terminal as well as an efficient and modern telephone system which can link passengers to anywhere in the world.

- HAL Prinsendam cruise ship was docked in the same Bridgetown Harbour as our own Celebrity's Summit (Boxing Day).

- See video here (Summit's arrival in Barbados & Bajan Sunrise):

View PHOTO album (115)

47a2df32b3127cce985534cecff700000058100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Bridgetown Port, Waterfront & Princess Alice Bus Terminal (Monday 12.26.2011)

After Celebrity's SUMMIT docked in Bridgetown, Barbados on Monday morning (a Holiday - Boxing Day), strolling down the Waterfront to the local Bus Terminal called Princess Alice (15 minutes easy, relaxing walk; bus terminal located off the Princess Alice Highway that's seen straight ahead once you exit the Harbour Gate/ Cruise Terminal area).

- See a short video with the Tiny Fiddler Crabs encountered by the Waterfront that Monday morning:

- Wondering around the Pelican Craft Centre (most stores were closed due to the Holiday)

* Took the local bus to the Harrison's Cave (scenic, fast 40 minutes ride) => see a separate photo album on this site (album dedicated to this visit).

- Walking back from Downtown Bridgetown to the Cruise Terminal (along the Princess Alice Highway and the Waterfront area)

View PHOTO album (170)

47a2df32b3127cce98554a7dcf7b00000028100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Bridgetown - largest city & capital of Barbados (Monday afternoon 12.26.2011)

Walking around exploring the city of Bridgetown on Monday afternoon - Boxing day (after returning by taxi from the famous attraction Harrison's Cave)

- Quite as most of the shops were closed due to the Holiday.

At the centre of Bridgetown is the Careenage - a marina for visiting yachts; the Constitution River drains the surrounding area during the rainy season. This modest and shallow body of water divides the city in two halves which are linked by the Chamberlain Bridge (hence, the name "Bridgetown").

- Independence Square is a £3 million waterfront park, which has been designed as a new national civic space celebrating the independence of Barbados. The park is located on the Careenage Waterfront, at the heart of the island’s capital, Bridgetown. The park has a modern, contemporary character with the islands colonial influences echoed in the design of the parks structures, fountains and colonnades.

View PHOTO album (120)

47a2df36b3127cce98554e53ad8700000058100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Bridgetown, Barbados: sail-away & Bajan sunset (Monday 12.26.2011)

Sailaway Celebration aboard Celebrity's SUMMIT in Bridgetown, BARBADOS (5:00PM with Party Band Magnitude by the Poolside)

- Beautiful Bajan sunset seen from a balcony & the decks of our cruise ship

- HAL Prinsendam cruise ship & Freewinds were docked in the same Harbour as our own Celebrity's Summit (Boxing Day)

- See video here (Summit's Sailaway in Barbados & Bajan Sunset):

- Delicious mini-desserts (Cova Cafe, early evening)

View PHOTO album (90)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we are still looking for info on food and wi fi at the port terminal

Is the wonderful flower stall still there? if so we plan to order a nice arrangement to bring back on board...

we saw some nice craft items (made in Barbados) at the terminal & I recall there was at least one nice men's shop and ladies clothing shops as well...

• 2 weeks later...
we are still looking for info on food and wi fi at the port terminal

Is the wonderful flower stall still there? if so we plan to order a nice arrangement to bring back on board...

we saw some nice craft items (made in Barbados) at the terminal & I recall there was at least one nice men's shop and ladies clothing shops as well...

I do not recall a flower place in the cruise terminal, but mayhave missed it. The crew must be getting a wifi signal as I saw them on bow of boat facing the terminal with their laptops resting on the rail.

Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division

Archived