Cashing American Express Traveller's checks onboard

MAHA

Chase eliminated foreign transaction fees earlier this year on some of their travel-branded cards. Here's a link to which cards have this provision:

https://creditcards.chase.com/no-foreign-transaction-fee-credit-cards.aspx

Another advantage is that they now also provide free trip cancellation coverage if you pay for your cruise using one of the branded cards.

Yes..Correct...As I posted above, my new Chase BA Visa has no FTF's, that was one of the reason's I got it in addition to 100,000 award miles I received during their promotion...:D However what are the detail's with the trip cancellation Ins..that's new to me..Thank you !!

Travelers checks really are a thing of the past. I work at a bank and we stopped carrying them 2 yrs ago. There is a big issue with fraudulent TCs that originate from overseas. We have to call Amex and verify anytime someone brings them to the bank. Your credit card and some cash in small bills is much safer and easier.
They may be a thing of the past in the US, but not in the UK and if you don't have a credit card (through choice) then they are still the safest way to go. No problem cashing them onboard and accepted which the new prepaid 'travel' Visa cards preloaded with US$ are not.

No problems...

however, with the Travelers Cheque "Cards"--those can be an issue, and at one point, RCCL said in their documents that those were NOT able to be used on the ship...

That happened to a friend of mine on Vision earlier this year. Unfortunately many suppliers of foreign currency in the UK are trying to force you to use these in place of T/C's.

In 2007, I was in Paris, cashed some AmEx TC's that were in EUROS (I had the same thought that you did) at a bank, and they STILL charged me a fee!!!!!!!!

:eek:

It is important to check where they can be exchanged for cash without fees before you travel. In a lot of cases only certain banks and institutions will cash them for free.

...However what are the detail's with the trip cancellation Ins..that's new to me..Thank you !!

From the T&C's I received when the coverage was announced in March:

"In the event of the Insured Person's Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption, we will pay up to the Trip Cancellation/Trip Interuption Benefit Amount of $3,000. Payment will not exceed either: 1) the actual Non-Refundable amount paid by the Insured Person for a Common Carrier passenger fare(s); or 2) $3,000. The Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption of the Insured Person must be caused by or result from: 1) death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness of the Insured Person or an Immediate Family Member of the Insured Person; or 2) default of the Common Carrier resulting from Financial Insolvency. The death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness must be verified by a Physician and must prevent the Insured Person from traveling on a Covered Trip."

Other travel-related coverages include Trip Delay Reimbursement (up to a maximum of $300 per trip if you are delayed by more than 12 hours by a covered hazard); Baggage Delay Benefit ($100/day for a maximum of five days); and, Lost Luggage Reimbursement (maximum reimbursement of $3,000, of which no more than $200 can be for all jewelry and fur). There's also the usual car rental collision damage waiver.

Because of the $3k limit on cancellation coverage, it really doesn't help for long cruises, but it could obviate the need to purchase separate travel insurance for shorter/cheaper cruises, especially if you have medical insurance that covers you outside the U.S.

Archived