Sunscreen prices

IDKaren

Don't really want to post this on ALL ports threads so thought maybe seasoned cruisers might know! Is it pretty reasonable to buy sunscreen in San Juan,Nassau,ST Thomas? flying with carryons only..I know it's very high on ships so will wait till first port (don't have itinerary with me so cant remember WHICH is first :p) called hotel in Orlando..no store within walking distance! SIGH what to do? HELP please!

I don't know if you have a Christmas Tree Shoppe near you, but I was just in one today and bought a 3 oz (plane size) sunscreen for 75% off...it cost me 94 cents:) Another option is to go to Walmart and buy an empty 3 oz travel bottle and fill it with whatever kind you already have at home. Then you don't have to worry about finding it at port!

-Joanne

Don't really want to post this on ALL ports threads so thought maybe seasoned cruisers might know! Is it pretty reasonable to buy sunscreen in San Juan,Nassau,ST Thomas? flying with carryons only..I know it's very high on ships so will wait till first port (don't have itinerary with me so cant remember WHICH is first :p) called hotel in Orlando..no store within walking distance! SIGH what to do? HELP please!

Can you buy it and pack before you leave. It will be a lot cheaper buying it at home rather than the ports unless you can find a walmart.

Also watch for expiry date because over expired sunscreen is nothing more than a moisturizer.

Since you are staying at a hotel, you could potentially mail yourself a package with sunscreen c/o the hotel. Pick it up when you check in, and take it with you to the ship. Just an idea.

Are you checking any luggage? There are no limits in checked bags.

If you re-read the original post you'll see that they're taking only CARRYON bags. That's why the OP is asking about the price of sunscreen at their destination. They can't carry sunscreen in fullsize bottles.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! SIL is 6'5" so that's ALOT of skin to cover with 3 OZ bottles :->. I will call the Orlando hotel again and see if they have a store or good idea to mail it to myself T hotel! just figured by time I pay for round trip taxis to walmart and all new sunscreen for six people..geez maybe it WOULD be cheaper to pay dor a checked bag :p. Back to the drawing board!

My husband has a ton of allergies. We use only Ombrelle sunscreen as it is fragrance free, color free and hypoallergenic. Plus, it is very water resistant and goes on easy and works really well.

Doctor has written a RX to this effect which allows us to bring any size bottle along. We can never be sure to find it at our destination.

We remove it from the bag at TSA check point and mention that we have a 'declared medical liquid' . They take a swab sample, stick it in a machine and then hand back the sunscreen.

I have done this with antihistamines for him also.

Before learning we could do this, I just didn't bring any make up or toiletries and my 311 zip-lock was full of three onze bottles of sunscreen. That worked too.

I agree about the christmas shoppe stores. They have the best prices and it would be cheaper than $25 checked luggage charge.

One thing to consider - The Christmas Shoppe may have sunscreen so cheap because it is old. I've always heard that you should discard sunscreen that is over a year old (that you've had in your house) because the effectiveness is diminished.

I'm a rabid sunscreen user (I had a friend pass away from melanoma). I won't roll the dice on the quality of my sunscreen...

The OP specifically mentioned they were doing carry on only. Part of the reason they are doing that is to avoid a $25 baggage fee. Silly to check a bag just for that reason. And, believe it or not, many of us do not buy stuff on a cruise, and therefore have no "junk" to carry home.

Back to the original question. I might suggest looking at buying at the airport. For sure, more expensive than Walmart, but less than the ship. Miami airport has a fair size drugstore near baggage claim that we bought some stuff in once.

One thing to consider - The Christmas Shoppe may have sunscreen so cheap because it is old. I've always heard that you should discard sunscreen that is over a year old (that you've had in your house) because the effectiveness is diminished.

Excellent point! We always buy new sunscreen for our trips.

We like the Australian Gold pump spray (spf 45).

I don't think it's just the cost of the $25 checked bag that is the problem, it's the time spent in going to baggage claim to wait for it on the carousel and the possibility of the bag being delayed or lost.

I think the suggestion to buy it in the airport is a good one. The shops inside the security checkpoint have all kinds of items, so I wouldn't be suprised if sunscreen was one of the items.

I have been buying mega bottles of spray/lotion at BJ's using coupons. have quite a few bottles I put in a duffle bag. SPF 30, SPF 50. My DD thought this was dumb but then I showed her this thread. LOL LOL If you are going on the Jewel October 22nd and need sunscreen see me. Will sell it for $12 (only Kidding):D

Archived