Formal Nights?

sapphire2810

There are no formal nights on NCL cruises (one reason I love NCL). There are, however, two "dress up or not" nights where folks that like to dress up feel less out of place. These are similar to formal nights on other lines (photographers all over the place), but don't penalize people that prefer to stay casual.

There are no formal nights on NCL cruises (one reason I love NCL). There are, however, two "dress up or not" nights where folks that like to dress up feel less out of place. These are similar to formal nights on other lines (photographers all over the place), but don't penalize people that prefer to stay casual.

How is "Dress Up or Not" different from a night that is not "Dress Up or Not"?

Are photographers not available on other nights? Will they only take photos of people who are "Dressed Up"? Are you allowed to "Dress Up" on a night that is not "Dress Up or Not"?

Are photographers not available on other nights? Will they only take photos of people who are "Dressed Up"? Are you allowed to "Dress Up" on a night that is not "Dress Up or Not"?

You can dress up any night if you want to. The photagraphers are always around taking candid shots but, on the designated nights, they are are set up for studio portraits. Probably that's when most people would want one taken so that's when they do it. They won't turn you away though if you're not dress up. Go for it.

In our experience the difference is that these tend to be more "organized" optional nights in that you will find more people dressed up like you are. There is comfort in company. As for me, I have never understood why they can't just choose one of their many dining rooms and make that one "Formal only" for that evening.

As for me, I have never understood why they can't just choose one of their many dining rooms and make that one "Formal only" for that evening.

Probably for the same reason that your local restaurants don't have a mandatory "formal night" each week...nobody would come.

In our experience the difference is that these tend to be more "organized" optional nights in that you will find more people dressed up like you are. There is comfort in company. As for me, I have never understood why they can't just choose one of their many dining rooms and make that one "Formal only" for that evening.

I have this recollection that they did something like that for a while. On those nights, one MDR was "dress as usual" and the other was "formal attire please." I thought it was a brilliant idea. OTOH, I'd love to see that happen on cruise lines with standard formal nights because the options for alternative casual dining do not include anything in the MDR. Not that we mind specialty restaurants (love them, in fact) or room service (not a thing wrong with having dinner "at home"), but it would be great to have one part of the MDR be "dress nicely, but it doesn't have to be formal."

Probably for the same reason that your local restaurants don't have a mandatory "formal night" each week...nobody would come.

Except that on NCL, many passengers do enjoy the formal night deal and would definitely come to the MDR designated for it. Plus, there are almost always two MDRs, so there would always be an option either way. Finally, there are plenty of restaurants that have dress codes; when we dine there, we know how we're expected to dress and we do so.

beachchick

Except that on NCL, many passengers do enjoy the formal night deal and would definitely come to the MDR designated for it. Plus, there are almost always two MDRs, so there would always be an option either way. Finally, there are plenty of restaurants that have dress codes; when we dine there, we know how we're expected to dress and we do so.

beachchick

Your logic is flawed. More and more, cruise lines are adopting NCL's policies for more casual dress, more restaurant options, and a less formal atmosphere. If passengers truely wanted formal...it would be offered.

The fact is that right now there IS an option...you can dress up or not ANY NIGHT OF YOUR CRUISE. That is a true option. Having even 1 venue set aside to require formal wear REMOVES that option and replaces it with a REQUIREMENT.

Your logic is flawed. More and more, cruise lines are adopting NCL's policies for more casual dress, more restaurant options, and a less formal atmosphere. If passengers truely wanted formal...it would be offered.

The fact is that right now there IS an option...you can dress up or not ANY NIGHT OF YOUR CRUISE. That is a true option. Having even 1 venue set aside to require formal wear REMOVES that option and replaces it with a REQUIREMENT.

Agreed. Any requirement to dress up would be counter to the whole philosophy of 'Freestyle'. NCL have spent bundles on marketing the Freestyle concept - why on earth would they impose a requirement to dress up?

Many cruise lines seem to be becoming less formal - partly due to luggage restrictions on the airlines and partly due to society's trend to less 'formality' in everyday life.

We've been on several NCL cruises now and I will say that it appears that on dress up or not nights, it is a very, very small percentage of folks that dress up. And of those it appears that a large number do it for the formal photo ops that are offered. We see many of those who dress up are back in resort casual within minutes of having their picture taken.

For those that enjoy dressing up, your free to do it every day. No one will stare or point at you. ;)

Yes, it is amazing how many will dress up, and then run back to the cabin to change into something more casual.

Just like my daughter than spent a small fortune on dress, etc for her Sr. Prom. And shortly spending the "appropriate" time at the promo, changed back into jeans.

Go figure.

You can dress up any night if you want to. The photagraphers are always around taking candid shots but, on the designated nights, they are are set up for studio portraits. Probably that's when most people would want one taken so that's when they do it. They won't turn you away though if you're not dress up. Go for it.

Actually, the photographers are set up with backgrounds to do formal portraits on almost every night of the cruise. (usually the last one or two nights they are not).

What is great about that is that the lines for pictures are soooo long on Dress up or not nights, that we always go on a night that is not Dress Up or Not night for our "formal" group picture. I have found that by doing that the photographer is not as rushed and takes more time to get a better pose and better pictures.

I have this recollection that they did something like that for a while. On those nights, one MDR was "dress as usual" and the other was "formal attire please." I thought it was a brilliant idea. OTOH, I'd love to see that happen on cruise lines with standard formal nights because the options for alternative casual dining do not include anything in the MDR. Not that we mind specialty restaurants (love them, in fact) or room service (not a thing wrong with having dinner "at home"), but it would be great to have one part of the MDR be "dress nicely, but it doesn't have to be formal."

beachchick

Actually the mandatory formal nights are going away on most cruises.

When I was on RCCL, we had planned to eat in the buffet on the Formal nights because we did not want to lug the extra clothes and we see a cruise as a vacation, not a "show off" event..which is all formal nights are IMO.

While I may not like a rule, I believe that rules that exist MUST be followed and so we were going to follow the rules and eat in the buffet.

When we told our waiter and Head Waiter that we would not be there the next night due to it being formal night, they both told us to go ahead and come anyhow in our resort casual clothing. As they both said, the "Formal Dress" is simply a suggestion for dress by RCCL and not a rule. The Head Waiter even joked that we would not be 'tarred and feathered' for not dressing up and that more and more people were dressing resort casual on formal nights.

After much coaxing (mainly toward me because I was the one who still felt we were going to be breaking a rule) by the wait staff, we decided to go to the MDR on Formal night. I was actually shocked that there were many people who did not dress up and were dressed in resort casual like we were. Even though I really don't care what others think, I still felt comfortable in the enviroment and my thoughts of "breaking the rules" quickly disapated.

So, in spite of what some traditionalists are still trying to push.... the nights of strictly formal dress on cruise ships is passing by quickly. NCL's Freestyle concept has caught on and is changing the way people cruise.

Beachchicks logic when it comes to dress code is usually flawed because she is trying to impose her view of what she wants on a changing cruise concept...the disappearing of formal cruising to Freestyle Cruising.

I have the same issue with some parts of Education. It is hard for me to accept changes in the way we educate because of the way I was brought up and taught in college. But I have an open mind and see the good that is coming out of it. Some of the new methods in education are not traditional but they do make it better for larger numbers of people....much like the idea of Freestyle Cruising.

Thanks to all for your response reg: formal nights.

You have all been very helpfull. Just wanted know if I should pack clothes for that evening.

I actually like to dress casual but nice on most ofthe nights on the ship, it's how I normally

dress when I go out for dinner and a show or movie.

But don't want to be overdressed.

Bottom line is that I would like to dress in a way that I feel comfortable.

Again thanks for your help.

M.

Thanks to all for your response reg: formal nights.

You have all been very helpfull. Just wanted know if I should pack clothes for that evening.

I actually like to dress casual but nice on most ofthe nights on the ship, it's how I normally

dress when I go out for dinner and a show or movie.

But don't want to be overdressed.

Bottom line is that I would like to dress in a way that I feel comfortable.

Again thanks for your help.

M.

I don't think you will be underdressed. On the Epic last year, I decided to go a bit more casual in the evening (during Dress Up or Not night) and I was surprised at how underdressed I was. I saw numerous tuxes, suits, long dresses and beaded cocktail dresses.

its YOUR choice to DRESS-UP or NOT any night of the week ...after 9 cruises i would say 25% or less do on the designated nights.

the photographers are out most every night and will take your picture no matter what you are wearing.

GO ENJOY be comfortable in what YOU want to wear and you will fit right in.

we LOVE FREESTYLE & NCL because its OUR CHOICE and ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to see one MDR designated for passengers who choose to DRESS-UP more than others...if YOU want that cruise on the other lines that still have 'dress code' nights!!

its YOUR choice to DRESS-UP or NOT any night of the week ...after 9 cruises i would say 25% or less do on the designated nights.

the photographers are out most every night and will take your picture no matter what you are wearing.

we LOVE FREESTYLE & NCL because its OUR CHOICE and ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to see one MDR designated for passengers who choose to DRESS-UP more than others...if YOU want that cruise on the other lines that still have 'dress code' nights!!

Thanks Starfish*4

Didn't mean to upset anyone!

And yes I did enjoy the dress up on previous Cruises, I do welcome the Free Style NCL offers, just wanted to know what the do's and don'ts are being a first time NCL cruiser.

I am sure I will have a great time no matter what the dress code is.

I'm cruising because I enjoy it, not for what I will be waring on any particular night. Just want to enjoy my cruise and feel comfortable with what I decide to ware.

Thanks to all who made comments on this topic.

Happy Cruising Everyon!!!

Margie:):)

THANKS for sharing YOUR opinion. I ALWAYS appreciate reading OTHER people's OPINION, as I APPRECIATE views whether they AGREE with MINE or NOT.

My wife and I are more on the casual side so whether a cruise has a formal night or not is not crucial for us. However, I know plenty of people (including NCL'ers) who still love dressing up one night of the week. I don't have to be a part of that group to understand that what makes dressing up special is the fact that everyone is dressed up. Its the environment as much as anything. Even as a casual person, I can get that.

Many cruises have a formal night, but you can eat in the buffet if you don't want to dress up. My wife and I play along on those cruises, but don't prefer it. They are too restricting. NCL of course does their "Dress up or not" nights. Those seem just as extreme to me since they accomplish much of nothing. As has been stated, isn't every night "Dress up or not"? To me, whether its NCL or not, it would make a ton of sense to me for a cruiseline to designate one dining room for formal. That way, at least those who enjoy dressing up could get the environment that they really enjoy. Even if a cruise line determined it is a minority of people, they could designate a smaller dining room, or even a specialty restaurant or two. Actually, dressing up and paying for a specialty restaurant go hand in hand a bit, doesn't it? Freestyle cruising would seem like the perfect environment to try something like that. Having a smaller dining room or specialty restaurant designated one night of a cruise as a formal only night makes a ton of sense to me in a "freestyle" sort of way. Also, I think its silly to assume that just because someone likes to dress up one night a week, means they don't prefer to be casual and enjoy every other freestyle amenity the rest of the week. People tend to not be so simple and are a bit more diverse than that.

It is VERY obvious that SOME people do not AGREE. But typing with your caps on does not make one right. Or DOES it?

NCL differentiates itself through the freestyle, casual concept. There are plenty of lines that have one or more formal night, and those that like be surrounded by others dressed formally can certainly opt for one of those lines. I think having something "slightly more formal" is their way of 1) trying to somewhat appease those that enjoy formal nights, and 2) making more money on pictures. :) I refuse to take formal clothing on a cruise and won't cruise on lines that require it.

Actually the mandatory formal nights are going away on most cruises.

When I was on RCCL, we had planned to eat in the buffet on the Formal nights because we did not want to lug the extra clothes and we see a cruise as a vacation, not a "show off" event..which is all formal nights are IMO.

While I may not like a rule, I believe that rules that exist MUST be followed and so we were going to follow the rules and eat in the buffet.

When we told our waiter and Head Waiter that we would not be there the next night due to it being formal night, they both told us to go ahead and come anyhow in our resort casual clothing. As they both said, the "Formal Dress" is simply a suggestion for dress by RCCL and not a rule. The Head Waiter even joked that we would not be 'tarred and feathered' for not dressing up and that more and more people were dressing resort casual on formal nights.

After much coaxing (mainly toward me because I was the one who still felt we were going to be breaking a rule) by the wait staff, we decided to go to the MDR on Formal night. I was actually shocked that there were many people who did not dress up and were dressed in resort casual like we were. Even though I really don't care what others think, I still felt comfortable in the enviroment and my thoughts of "breaking the rules" quickly disapated.

So, in spite of what some traditionalists are still trying to push.... the nights of strictly formal dress on cruise ships is passing by quickly. NCL's Freestyle concept has caught on and is changing the way people cruise.

I just want to make clear that we are not traditionalists in this regard. On RCI and other lines with defined formal nights, we've been using alternative dining for years. We've had more than enough formal events in our "regular" life and love not lugging along the extra clothing.

But I still don't think it would be a horrible idea to designate the smaller of the twoMDRs onboard as "please dress formally" on the dress up or not nights. We wouldn't use it, but there have been enough passengers dressed up on NCL in our experience (limited, to be sure) that it might work on some itineraries.

beachchick

We love freestyle and dressing formally. The 1st thing DH packs is his tux.

Most of the time he is one of the few men on board in a tux. We usually get dressed up at least 2x on a cruise.

That's the beauty of NCL -- we can dress the way we want, formally, and others can dress the way they want. It doesn't make one right or wrong. It doesn't make one better than the other.

One cruise we sat will a group of new CC friends & the outfits ran the gamut: us in formal, a Scotsman in a kilt, others in polos. At dinner we talked about all the other big "no nos": politics, money & religion. It was marvelous!

Viva la difference!

Archived