First time cruise on Queen Mary

Jody Ellis

Hi my parents have booked a christmas cruise on the Queen Mary around the Caribbean. We haven't cruised before and don't know what to expect. Neither my brother or I really want to go as we think its a holiday for older people. I am 18 and my brother is 15.

What can we expect on the cruise? Is it all bingo and snobby older people?

It's a 15 day cruise and I understand you have to dress up for dinner. What does everyone wear in the evening? I don't know what to pack for formal evenings etc. What are they. Also what do you wear on normal evenings.

Any help would be great seeing as I have to go on this holiday even though I would rather stay at home with my aunt and her family.

Thanks Jody

Hi Jody-I am sure others will be along soon to regale you with tales of all the QM2 has to offer, so I'll just say I'll wait till I return from QM2 mid October,and get my kids to give you their thoughts....they are 16 and 13, and like you, don't particularly want to go. I'll come back here and let you know their thoughts..

Hi my parents have booked a christmas cruise on the Queen Mary around the Caribbean. We haven't cruised before and don't know what to expect. Neither my brother or I really want to go as we think its a holiday for older people. I am 18 and my brother is 15.

It's a 15 day cruise and I understand you have to dress up for dinner. What does everyone wear in the evening? I don't know what to pack for formal evenings etc. What are they. Also what do you wear on normal evenings.

Any help would be great seeing as I have to go on this holiday even though I would rather stay at home with my aunt and her family.

Thanks Jody

Hi Jody,

I don’t want to get into the discussion about what you should or shouldn’t wear on the ship – there will be plenty of other people along shortly who are better qualified than I am to answer that question.

But I would say this to you – I am old enough (sadly) that when I was 18, both of the original Cunard Queens were still in service. If anybody, then, had offered me the chance to travel on either of them, I would have jumped at the chance, and I would be dining out on the experience to this day. You are being given the opportunity to travel on the RMS Queen Mary 2, the Cunard flagship and the world’s last true transatlantic liner – more than likely the very last of her breed that there will ever be. Please - do not pass up that opportunity. But go with an open mind. Yes, you will find that the other passengers are older than the general population ashore but that isn’t necessarily a disadvantage. Talk to them – many of them have led interesting lives and have fascinating stories to tell (damn – that sounded just like Michael Parkinson in the Sun Life insurance ad :eek: !!). You will also find that people on board, for some reason that I don’t fully understand myself, are much easier to talk to than those that you meet in your everyday life ashore. It’s easy to strike up a conversation and you may be very pleasantly surprised at the results.

Yes, there’s bingo, but there’s no compulsion to take part in it (I never have). But there are many other activities, some specifically aimed at teenagers. The activities you take part in would depend entirely on your personal interests but they range from lectures and classes, to RADA workshops, cookery demonstrations, art classes, a napkin folding class (I’ve done that one – no, don’t laugh!) and a planetarium. There is a large library and an internet centre and various deck sports like shuffleboard. I’m pretty sure you won’t be bored.

The bottom line is, carpe diem – you won’t regret it.

J

I probably sound ungrateful don't I. I guess I have no choice but to go and enjoy

No - you don't sound ungrateful at all. I find your concerns very understandable. For years and years (years during which I could have afforded to do it much more easily than I can now), I resisted the whole idea of cruising because I thought it was some sort of real life version of Hi De Hi, only afloat. Then, back in 2007 (it seems like centuries ago now) I did my first cruise on QE2 and I was hooked from that moment on.

J

Yes you do have to dress for dinner. Here's the drill on the dress code:

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court or Lido Restaurant.

Evenings will be split into 3 different dress codes. You will be notified what the evening's dress code will be in your daily ship's newspaper. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board.

Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men.

Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie.

There is no dress code for children under 18 but they should try to dress as per the above. Having said that, there will be very few occasions in your life where you get to dress up and have people wait on you hand and foot. So take my advice and enjoy it - especially as someone else is paying for it.

Below are some suggestions for you.

As you can see from the below picture, formal wear for young people is no different to formal wear for old people.

web.jpg?ver=13169578930001

Your brother should go for a look like the two below. Zac and Chase are obviously older but the vibe is still there.

web.jpg?ver=13169578860001

web.jpg?ver=13169578250001

Below are some suggestions for you.

A young looking red.

web.jpg?ver=13169578480001

This is charming. web.jpg?ver=13169578320001

And this is a favourite.

web.jpg?ver=13169578460001

You will be among the youngest on board so it's best to just accept that now and focus on enjoying yourself.

Very good suggestions, all.

I would think that you will find far more company in your age group during a Christmas holidays cruise. Check the daily programme for activities geared towards your contemporaries, and/or ask anyone on the Pursers' desk how to get in touch with the Youth Programs staff. My son always enjoyed the activities on offer (he sailed from age six until well past his teenage years), and if there's nothing that interests you, you don't HAVE to attend... ;)

Cruachan, Concerning your quote that you think the QM2 is the last of her breed, I kind of disagree.The same thing was said of the QE2 and look at how wrong that prediction turned out to be.I think that as long as the ship is sold out or nearly sold out for transatlantic crossings there will always be a Transatlantic Liner doing transatlantic crossings and remember that there will be always a niche market of people who despise airline travel and prefer to cross the North Atlantic Ocean by ship and I admit that I am one of them.Hopefully there will be a successor ship to take over for the QM2 on the transatlantic run when she retires around the year 2044 and hopefully the QM2 makes it to the year 2044. Regards,Jerry

Cruachan, Concerning your quote that you think the QM2 is the last of her breed, I kind of disagree.The same thing was said of the QE2 and look at how wrong that prediction turned out to be.I think that as long as the ship is sold out or nearly sold out for transatlantic crossings there will always be a Transatlantic Liner doing transatlantic crossings and remember that there will be always a niche market of people who despise airline travel and prefer to cross the North Atlantic Ocean by ship and I admit that I am one of them.Hopefully there will be a successor ship to take over for the QM2 on the transatlantic run when she retires around 2044. Regards,Jerry

Thank you Jerry. Your knowledge of all shipping related matters is vastly greater than my own - I defer entirely to your opinion.

J

I did the Christmas voyage two years ago. I noticed lots of young people your age on board so you'll probably meet lots of others to chum around with.

One evening I followed several young ladies down the hallway and they were wearing short but fancy dresses for formal evening. I have to confess that I thought how nice to see them dressed up since I generally see teenagers slouching around in Jeans, etc. Regarding the pictures posted by Whitemarsh there were a lot of dresses similar to the short blue one. I don't remember seeing anybody your age in floor-length dresses.

On elegant casual evenings you could wear tailored pants or a skirt (no jeans in the dining room) with a pretty blouse or a summmery dress.

At afternoon tea in the Queen's Room (ballroom) there were 4 teenage boys having tea. They were well-mannered and they were having a wonderful time and sampled everything offered. I also spotted groups of teens in the King's Court (buffet) daytime and evening sitting having coffee, ice cream, etc.

Linda

Cruachan, Well that is my opinion of what I wrote in my last post and if you disagree well you are entitled to your own opinion. Regards,Jerry

Ummmm...

... Jerry. I think that if you were to read my reply once again, you would see that in my usual, prolix, overly verbose manner, I was actually agreeing with you. :D

J

Jody, as others have said, go with an open mind. I think Cunard provides a better variety of activities on sea days than any other line. And on port days, there are beaches you can go to, as well as snorkeling and boating excursions. When it's cold at home, you'll be in the sunny Caribbean. Check your itinerary and go online and do some research about your ports. That might help you get into the idea of this trip.

A Christmas cruise is popular with families, so it will not be all old people! There will be a spectrum of ages, so you won't be the only one your age.

Are you worried about missing your friends over the holidays? Consider writing a blog to show off your good time. Take a blank book and write a journal. (I know, sounds so old-fashioned, but it makes a nice souvenir that you will enjoy rereading in years to come) If you have a laptop, write a journal that. You can email updates or post them to a social network site so that your friends can hear about your great trip. Don't get too excited about surfing the Net on board, though, It's slow and expensive. But for a little online time each day, you can keep in touch with your friends.

I've done a Christmas cruise, and it can be very special. The ship will probably be decorated, so it's very festive. They may have scaled back in recent years, but on QE2 in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember which), there were more trees and wreaths than I could count, garlands and poinsettias everywhere. A village made of candy, another of gingerbread. Christmas cookies available 24/7.

And yes, people will dress up for dinner, and nearly all stay dressed up through the evening. At 18, you will be fine in either long gowns or cocktail dresses. They don't have to be terribly fancy or expensive, and to save on packing it is OK to wear a dress more than once. And if you don't have anything appropriate in your closet, it's an excuse to go shopping!!! :D

Go for it!

All I can say that a 15 day cruise for first timers may be a bit much. Don't mean to turn you off to it any more than you already are, but being 15 and 18 that may be a 'long' cruise. I do hope you both have a great time. Make the most of it.

I've never done the Queen Mary so don't want to give any wrong info. Check around on this site. I'm sure there's a review. Others who have sailed her can help you out. Go on the main boards. Good luck. :)

You have nothing to worry about. I have been sailing every year with my grandparents since I was 12 and have not had a bad cruise or even a cruise where I didn't meet friends to hang around with. With regards to evening wear, you are lucky enough to be able to get away with long and shorter cocktail dresses. You don't have to be dressed in really expensive stuff, you can get some reasonably priced dresses on the UK high street. Im sure you already have some party dresses and those will be fine. I usually wear long dresses on the formal nights and then shorter ones for the semi-formal and casual but a lot of young girls I've seen don't wear long ones. I would really take this as an opportunity to get dressed up and enjoy it because there are not many places now where you can really get dolled up and not feel silly! I am sure you will have a good time. Over the years I've met many younger people who were sceptical about going on a cruise and then didn't want to get off the ship! Yes, there are things like bingo but what you take part in is your choice. If it's over the holidays there will most probably be some other young people on board. I hope you have fun!

Jody, my last trip was my 50-year high school reunion, so looking back at your age is about 3 of your lifetimes ago and take my view with a bit of sketptism but don't totally ignore it.

As with most things, you will get our of a QM2 voyage what you put into it. If you go expecting to be bored, it will probably be a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you go with enthusiasm, you should have a great time.

Nomdeplume has provided a link to the roll call for your voyage on the other forum, but I'll repeat it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=973078&page=280

I'd suggest introducing yourself on the roll call and there might even be some families there with people your age. It's worth a try.

I'll add a few suggestions of things I might have liked at your age:

The pool on deck 12 is covered and should be a great place to hang out, even in rough weather.

Thy one of the planetarium shows early in the voyage. If you like it they have several other planetarium programs. If not, you've only wasted a half hour.

I find the lectures great. You might like them or you might find them too much like being in school. Look at the descriptions and decide for yourself.

You might enjoy either the promenade deck or the gym.

The night club/disco is G32. There may be an age limit at times, but you should at least investigate it.

My hunch based on the maturity and initiative you've shown in joining cruise critic and expressing yourself is that you'll have a great time. Best wishes.

Roy

What are your kids packing for formal nights? I know they are younger than me however I just want to get some ideas for formal nights etc:)

Well,my daughter (13) has a long black jersey dress...very plain,but can be jazzed up with jewellry,from BHS (Tammy range) and my son (16) is wearing a suit-but I can already envisage the battle over THAT !! Will keep you posted-I think you'll enjoy it more than you expect! QM2 fan xx

you can't help having a marvelous time. just go with the flow. my first crossing was at age 18. and i was hooked. the tales i could tell, but you'll have your own. both of our children are also addicted to cunard, or cruising in general. you'll meet totally different people from those whom your parents meet, and you'll have such a different experience. enjoy yourselves!!

Thanks Jody

Dear Jody,

I have read this whole thread and stand by everyone here with there words of encouragement. Let me add a few. At age 14 1/2 and my brother age 11 1/2 our parents included us in two transatlantic crossings. Frist class Eastbound to Italy on the Italian Liner Crstoforo Columbo and home from Italy 3 months later on the Andrea Doria. These were the years of the great Ocean Liners......It was 1955. I tell you this because to this day I am grateful to our parents for giving us this opportunity and gratefull for the many years of so many fond memories. There were a few teenagers on board and we somehow found each other and had a blast........never a dull moment exploring the ship, enjoying our time together and the ships didn't have a teen or any kind of young persons programs. I got to wear my party dresses and enjoyed being treated like a princess . You are a young adult on the threshold of life's adventures and so fortunate to have parents that want to include you unselfishley on this cruise. You're going to the Caribbean........you will be delighted and thrilled visiting, swimming , all the water sports, the sun and warmth of the islands and for sure with this holiday cruise many young people like yourself. The suggestion to check out the roll call is a must..........there you will have a chance to meet others your age and plan some adventures etc.

Good luck ..........enjoy and Thank Your Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jody

Hi Jody. Check out the itinerary for your cruise (7 days and nights in the

Caribbean - sweet!) . If you can log on to voyage personalize, it will show the dress code for your voyage. Deck party one night looks interesting...Bucchaneers Ball another night...

My guess is that you have a sense for what looks good on you (most women do), and only you know what you are comfortable wearing. My personal observation is that dress on Cunard ship is more Classic than flashy/trashy, but talk to your mom and dad about that (and the budget for new clothes).

BTW, internet connection is very slow, and very expensive. Oddly enough, you might find you don't miss it :)

Best wishes on your new adventure. May it be the first of many!

Salacia

:eek::mad:Partial quote:

And this is a favourite.

web.jpg?ver=13169578460001

You will be among the youngest on board so it's best to just accept that now and focus on enjoying yourself.

An 18 year old woman wearing this costume on the QM2 Hoilday cruise to the Caribbean would be ill advised. Remember that we are most noticed for the longest time while dining. When seated at the table: what is visable is from the neck to the waist. Imagine what this dress would look like to others seated at the table? Not quite the message that most women want to convey, despite what fashion designers advocate.

Have a care.

Hi Jody, The 2 younger members of our family were your ages when we crossed in '08. They had a great time and talk about it frequently. On a crossing there are few young people but Christmas in the Caribbean would likely see more but not the numbers of other lines. In all honesty, how you enjoy yourselves is mainly a function of your personalities and experiences: if your life revolves mostly around friends your own age because that is who you've been socialised with all your life it might be tough. On the other hand if you are comfortable interacting with other age groups or can entertain yourself independently it will be an enriching experience. The other, older passengers were very kind and accepting to my teens but some kids are just uncomfortable around adults. Mine were homeschooled (which was how we could get away in Oct) and are used to entertaining themselves and also conversing with and even debating adults if need be. So I guess the question has to be are you primarily family oriented or independent or are you peer group oriented because peers may be in short supply.

As for dress don't be intimidated by some of the pics above. There is a range which is considered acceptable. But if you're young and really dress up you'll be a star. My daughter dressed probably quite a bit beyond minimum. I just checked out the picture in the hall and on that formal night she wore a long black gown with a feather stole, opera gloves, dangly earings and her hair up. She had brought a fascinator along to wear on Ascot night but didn't wear it as she picked up a nice hat in London (and yet another fascinator). One fascinator did get worn in the Newark airport to rave reviews from passersby. My daughter is somewhat of a dresserupper. Caution: hat boxes take up a lot of room in luggage.

We had expected to rent a tux for our son on board but they didn't have his size. The guys at the rental place said his dark blue suit would be fine. That 'the dress code was less strict for younger gentlemen'. I've described it as somewhere between Mormon Missionary Comtemporary and Elegant Funeral in other posts if that helps any.

Maybe scope out Youtube clips taken on Cunard and see how people are dressing? I find the people in the background of some of the Youtube ship tours as more informing than these forums.

I think you can have a great time as a young person on Cunard and look back on it with fondness.

Archived