HAL's answers to Retreat Cabana queries

English_in_Spain

Perhaps this policy will change in January when smoking becomes more restricted on deck ? ;) I just reserved my cabana for my cruise next summer.
I'm not aware of any planned changes in deck smoking - just inside the cabins.

So basically smoking is permitted anywhere on outside decks on HAL ships, is that the policy?
It's supposed to be just in "designated areas" (including your own cabin balconies) but I have seen smokers in non-smoking areas.

It seems as though there is no absolute solution here. Carol, your attitude is so refreshing and tolerant that it actually makes me sad that you may miss out on a cabana experience because you don't want to chance having smoke in your face. I wish I had a solution for you. HAL is missing the mark on this latest money making scheme. I have often thought that as part of your fare, you should be assigned or at least guaranteed deck chairs. These cabanas are exactly that. A guarenteed spot for you and only you. They throw in a few morsels and some cheap champagne and charge you a premium for what should already be included. Smoking is a serious issue on both sides. No smoker wants to pay all that money and not be permitted to engage in something they find relaxing and no one who finds smoking offensive want to pay all that money to breath smoke. The solution as I see it is if the Line is going to charge for this "experience" it must designate two completely separate areas. It would be an interesting social experiment to see which area sells out first. I would bet the smoking area would sell out very quickly. Ostracized people always want to escape persecution and some non smokers are downright nasty. Granted smokers can be rude too, but in my experience as a smoker, the smoking area is always full of talkative pleasant people happy to give you a light and have a conversation. I think smokers would be more willing to pay the premium to be able to go somewhere and not have to worry about someone telling them to "put that out!" Then the non smokers will be happy too. Think about it HAL. You can clear out another common area to generate a little more cash for yourself. Peace and tolerance to all...smokers and non.

Of course, the lido cabanas are all non-smoking and you receive the exact same amenities as the Cabana Club.

Although, in the Cabana Club I never saw them coming around with ice cream in the afternoon.

If it helps anyone with a decision, I had previously inquired about the Nieuw Amsterdam Cabana Club/Retreat policy before finalizing a decision. Cut and pasted below.

(Dated February 1, 2011)

Good afternoon John,

We do not allow smoking in the Cabana area on the Nieuw Amsterdam; this policy is enforced by staff onboard.

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us. We are available by telephone Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm PDT at 1-800-541-1576.

Thank you and Kind regards,

Brad

Brad Lyman I Holland America Line I Ship ServicesI P:1-800-541-1576

Not to frustrate anyone, but we rented a retreat cabana for the entire Christmas cruise this past December... it had two loungers, a small dining table, and two chairs. It is what the placed the drinks and snacks on...

We were on the Eurodam.

If it helps anyone with a decision, I had previously inquired about the Nieuw Amsterdam Cabana Club/Retreat policy before finalizing a decision. Cut and pasted below.

(Dated February 1, 2011)

Good afternoon John,

We do not allow smoking in the Cabana area on the Nieuw Amsterdam; this policy is enforced by staff onboard.

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us. We are available by telephone Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm PDT at 1-800-541-1576.

Thank you and Kind regards,

Brad

Brad Lyman I Holland America Line I Ship ServicesI P:1-800-541-1576

Megalon, that was the same answer I got until I asked for an assurance in writing. Ship Services then checked with the ship (Eurodam) and they said the cabanas were non-smoking but the general retreat area was smoking. Maybe Nieuw Amsterdam is different.

For me, it is what the ship says that, at the end of the day, is what will happen.

If it is important to you, when you book the cabana, make sure you get it in writing that it is no-smoking in case you need a refund from the ship if you have a problem.

Not to frustrate anyone, but we rented a retreat cabana for the entire Christmas cruise this past December... it had two loungers, a small dining table, and two chairs. It is what the placed the drinks and snacks on...

We were on the Eurodam.

That is really strange.

I am not able to get into and out of a lounger so I would need an upright chair. They said they would need to arrange table and chairs specially and would do it if I booked in advance.

They say that table and chairs are only normally in the Nieuw Amsterdam cabanas as they are slightly bigger.

When the Caribbean season gets well under way, I will ask people on The Eurodam to take some photos for us.

Did you have one of the family/corner cabanas or one of the smaller ones?

Megalon, that was the same answer I got until I asked for an assurance in writing. Ship Services then checked with the ship (Eurodam) and they said the cabanas were non-smoking but the general retreat area was smoking. Maybe Nieuw Amsterdam is different.

For me, it is what the ship says that, at the end of the day, is what will happen.

If it is important to you, when you book the cabana, make sure you get it in writing that it is no-smoking in case you need a refund from the ship if you have a problem.

EIS,

That's what I find so disappointing. Whether it is a non-smoker expecting a smoke-free area or a smoker expecting an area they can use, the problem seems to be with HAL with a mixed message. Either way, this is important to people. I had a family cabana booked for a January Nieuw Amsterdam. I have canceled it because I moved up to an SC and have the large wrap balcony. Otherwise, I was going to print and bring the response.

Brad Lyman said call if there were questions. ?????

Carol, We had the family retreat cabana on the Eurodam. It had two lounges and a table and at least two chairs. Our g/d used the table for homework and that was where most of the goodies went - think chocolate-covered strawberries, ice cream, cookies, champagne. Oh how I miss Bernard and Mikie. Linda

After reading this thread yesterday I too wrote to HAL to enquire specifically about smoking in the Retreat Cabana area on the Eurodam. Here's the answer I received today, copied directly from the Ship Services reply:

Please see the below information in regards to the smoking policy onboard in the Cabanas and surrounding areas:

Can guests smoke in any of the Cabanas on the Lido Deck?
No, they cannot

Can guests smoke in any of the Cabanas on the Observation Deck in the Cabana Club Area?
Yes, they can

Can guests smoke in the open area on the Observation Deck in the Cabana Club Area?
No, they cannot

After reading this thread yesterday I too wrote to HAL to enquire specifically about smoking in the Retreat Cabana area on the Eurodam. Here's the answer I received today, copied directly from the Ship Services reply:

Please see the below information in regards to the smoking policy onboard in the Cabanas and surrounding areas:

Can guests smoke in any of the Cabanas on the Lido Deck?
No, they cannot

Can guests smoke in any of the Cabanas on the Observation Deck in the Cabana Club Area?
Yes, they can

Can guests smoke in the open area on the Observation Deck in the Cabana Club Area?
No, they cannot

So what they are saying is that in the retreat you can smoke inside the cabana but not in the open area which is the exact opposite answer to what they told me :confused:

As I said before, Ship Services said it was all non-smoking until they checked with the ship. The ship (Eurodam) say you can smoke in the general area.

I think this is another one of those instances where it depends who you ask.

I see you are on the Eurodam in January. We are not there until April. Perhaps, when you return, you could let us know what the situation really is.

Either way, we are being told that at least part of the area is smoking and that would mean we would not spend the money on renting a cabana.

Too bad I didn't see this thread while I was on the Eurodam last week. I could have a least taken some pics. I see that HAL is giving it's usual conflicting advice. Right hand....meet the left hand. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It's provided me with lots of valuable info. I'm like you, I would not want to spend the money if smoking is allowed.

I have posted on a couple of Eurodam roll calls asking if someone could come back here to report what is actually happening.

So often, HAL just give you an answer without really knowing if it is true. I have found this onboard as well. They want to seem to be helpful.

I should be used to this as it is what happens a lot here in Spain. If you ask someone the way they will give you directions even if they don't really know. They think it would be unhelpful to say "Sorry, I don't know" :)

Carol,

Got your message on our roll call.

Last year we had a table, 2 chairs and 2 loungers. We had Malaga.

Best service ever. Food on the Retreat menu was just ok to us, but the guys working would get us almost ANYTHING, and if we tried to get it ourselves, well that was a no no! :)

People did not smoke in the retreat, I was there every day except when they didnt set them up because of weather.

They did however smoke at the rail seperating the Retreat form the public area, at the back of the Retreat that leads to an upper deck, with seating.

This area is right in front of 2 automatic doors, and its where the VT's are, and a small very nice public restroom that can be accessed by the VT's or Retreat.

Smoke was never a problem. Book it. You will be glad you did...

My regret for this year is not booking a Lido cabana as well when they were available, for stormy days when the Retreat is not set up. Last year we lost 3 days. No refund given for incliment weather. A Lido cabana would have also been a great choice, as insurance for this year. All cabanas are sold out this cruise. HMC, GT, Lido & Retreat.

• 4 weeks later...

From Roll Call for Eurodam - Oct 22, 2011 - I remembered that you had asked some questions about the retreat cabanas on the Eurodam, but I couldn't remember specifically what you were asking. I took a few photos of the cabanas. They definitely have a table and chairs and some looked to include a lounger. If you would like to see the photos, send your e-mail to grannywar at juno dot com. Put "Retreat Cabanas" as the subject.

There have been a few threads recently about retreat cabanas. We are looking at booking one on Eurodam for next April and had a few questions.

I emailed HAL Ship’s Services and have received a reply email from them so I thought I would post a summary here as it answers a lot of people’s recent queries.

1. The correct email address of Ship Services is HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com (there are 2 underscores not a hyphen)

2. The retreat cabanas on the Eurodam are slightly smaller than those on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Nieuw Amsterdam 13’ x 8’; Eurodam 11’-5” x 8’.

For the family cabanas Nieuw Amsterdam 17’ x 12’-6”; Eurodam 15’3” x 12’-6”

3. Current (2011/2012) pricing

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabanas

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — port day $45.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — sea day $75.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 7 days $299.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 10 days $399.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 15 days $499.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 20 days $599.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — over 20 days call for pricing

Cabana Club/Retreat Family Cabanas

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — port day $65.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — sea day $115.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 7 days $449.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 10 days $599.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 15 days $749.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 20 days $899.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — over 20 days call for pricing

4. The Retreat Cabanas have lounge chairs not table and chairs. The public retreat area does have regular chairs.

5. All cabanas are wheelchair accessible and non-smoking.

6. Family retreat Cabanas can hold up to 4 adults but any guests can reserve them.

I have sent them another email to confirm a couple of points

If there are only loungers in the cabanas, why do some photos of the cabanas show table and chairs?

If we book the cabana for the entire cruise can we ask for table and chairs and one lounger instead of 2 loungers?

You say the cabanas are non-smoking. What about the retreat area in general (ie outside the cabanas). Are there non-smoking signs up there? Is the non-smoking strictly enforced by the staff?

I will post again when I get answers on these

Appreciate the very good summary of the cabanas. ;) Anyone know if there is a limit to the number of people allowed for the Retreat Cabanas? Son, wife and child are wondering if we could use one of the smaller ones for the 5 of us. Or do we need to rent the Family Cabana for the 5 of us? Since me and son will be there on a limited basis most of the time it would just be the wife, daughter in law and little girl using it. :rolleyes: Also does anyone have any information on whether these usually sell out prior to the cruise or are there usually still some available on a daily rental basis when we get onboard?

At last, final "clarification" from HAL on the smoking policy in the Retreat Cabana area on the Eurodam. To arrive at this ambiguous and unhelpful interpretation of the smoking policy took several weeks and about 6 e-mail exchanges. Below is the entire message we received from Heather Hollander in Ship Services, responsible for the Eurodam. We do not consider the outdoor deck area of the cabanas to be truly "public," because guests need to have booked a cabana to use the open seating area. Very frustrating. Today we are cancelling our cabana reservation on the January 14 Eurodam sailing.

At this time, the smoking policy is designated by the manager onboard at time of sailing. Our official policy states guests can smoke in outdoor decks areas and typically the manager allows smoking in the public area, but not in the actual cabana. I apologize I could not be clearer in our policy concerning the Retreat Cabana area.

So I guess I posted most of this on another thread, I wasn't aware there was two. Here more info.

Just off the Eurodam last week.

1. There are a table and chairs, and 2 loungers, as there was last year.

2. There is a ashtray hanging on the rail, right outside the retreat cabanas, where the doors open out to the deck. People smoke leaning on the rail, and sitting on the stairs to the upper level that is only accessed by stairs.

3. There was a ashtray also hanging inside the retreat that was next to the towel hamper that looked as if it was never used.

4. We were there every day, smoke never bothered us and I am very sensitive. We have a sea view cabana, and it was never hot.

5. Only Lido cabanas had the robes offered this year, (hanging) maybe they were by request only in the Retreat, not sure as we do not use them.

6. This year I did not see anyone using the loaner Ipod's, they might have done away with them. The misters are given on the first day.

The retreat is the best money we spent. The service is impeccable.

This year and last year. They really pick the cream of the crop to handle this area. Sonny & Gilbert were amazing.

Next year we will book both a Lido & Retreat cabana, as the first day in FLL the rain was so very bad it could not be used, and if its important to us to have a warm place and the extra $199 is worth it to us, as we do not use our balcony, as both SA's we have had rarely saw any sun. The lido retractable roof, makes it a good backup plan for us in case of bad weather, as we cruise on the same or close to every week each year for this spesific itenerary.

** Side note, I saw the lido pool guys removing towels from loungers if they were sitting more than 20 minutes. This was refreshing.

Can anyone tell me if you can rent a cabana for a couple of days on a cruise instead of the whole cruise? Thx.
Yes, but you can't do it before boarding. They're $45 on port days, $75 on sea days. The Lido cabanas are $30 and $50.

Can anyone tell me if you can rent a cabana for a couple of days on a cruise instead of the whole cruise? Thx.

From what I have read, once you get on the ship, if there are any cabanas that have not been pre-rented for the length of the cruise, you may rent them by the day at that point.

Yes, but you can't do it before boarding. They're $45 on port days, $75 on sea days. The Lido cabanas are $30 and $50.

From what I have read, once you get on the ship, if there are any cabanas that have not been pre-rented for the length of the cruise, you may rent them by the day at that point.

Thank you both. Good to know.

Archived