crown princess

bonniecharlie

Any info on this ship would be of great help, as we have never been on a princess ship, and this seems to be the one for neat year

It would help if you had some specific questions. First look at the schematic of the Crown, read it all and then ask again.

We were on the Crown this past February - Western Caribbean Itinerary.

I'd be glad to help with any specific questions you may have.

You will get a Pocket Guide that gives you some general info:

A ship diagram (you can also get this before hand on the Princess website.

Facts like:

Built in 2006

951 feet length overall

118 feet breadth

max passenger capacity = 3150

max crew capacity = 1200

And useful info such as "The Botticelli Dining Room can only be accessed via the aft/back section of the ship from Deck 7 or above. Simply use the elevators or stairways at the aft/back of the ship down to Deck 6. Remember you cannot access this Dining Room from Decks 4, 5 or 6.

We took our first Princess cruise last year on the Crown and it totally sold us on Princess! I lived at the International Cafe... seriously couldn't pass bythe place without filling a plate with goodies! The Pub had excellent fish & chips... it was just a relaxing and fun ship. A nice mix of stuff to do and just relaxing.You'll be very happy on her. Just booked on the Emerald for next Feb, out of San Juan, and just can't wait! I was worried at first that the Emerald didn't have an IC, then found out it does... ahhhh... looking forward to another 7 days in heaven! Have fun! :D

Just got off the Crown earlier this month. I really enjoyed the cruise, but had some unpleasant experiences with the Crown. Let me first explain that this was a Transatlantic cruise that left from Southampton, traveling to Bergen, Shetland and Faroe Islands, 2 ports in Iceland, 2 in Greenland, Halifax and New York. Things come up in every cruise so I am not faulting Princess at all regarding any of those types of things. That being said, here are some reasons that will probably keep me from going on such a large Princess ship again.

In Bergen, we waited in line to get off for an hour and a half. We were told it was because the port authority only had 3 busses available to take us to the city. We were 7 hours late getting to the port (medical emergency) and only had a few precious hours there, so it would have been nice for Princess to inquire about the busses in advance.

In Lerwick (Shetland Islands), we waited 1 hour and 20 minutes for a tender. After being told that there would be separate tenders for those going on tour and those just getting off, we were held up while they disembarked those who had booked a tour with Princess.

In Halifax, when we returned to the ship, they made passengers get back on the ship on deck 5 causing them to walk up a very steep ramp while they used deck 4 to leave the ship. (Note, that this was late in the day so I really didn't see anone leaving the ship.) Since my Mom (83 years old) could not walk up that steep ramp, I wanted her to be able to get back on using the other entrance. They kept refusing until I finally found someone who would listen. It made no sense to use those ramps that way. Use the flat one to return and the steeper one to leave.

The last night of the cruise, we talked with people who waited over 2 hours to get into the dining room. Seems that some of the waiters called in "sick" in protest of the tipping policy.

Disembarking in New York was well over an hour late causing many people to fear they would miss their planes.

Would I travel on Princess again? Sure, if the itinerary and price were right. i would, though, try to avoid the larger ships since it really appeared to me that they couldn't handle the 3100 passengers.

Just got off the Crown earlier this month. I really enjoyed the cruise, but had some unpleasant experiences with the Crown. Let me first explain that this was a Transatlantic cruise that left from Southampton, traveling to Bergen, Shetland and Faroe Islands, 2 ports in Iceland, 2 in Greenland, Halifax and New York. Things come up in every cruise so I am not faulting Princess at all regarding any of those types of things. That being said, here are some reasons that will probably keep me from going on such a large Princess ship again.

In Bergen, we waited in line to get off for an hour and a half. We were told it was because the port authority only had 3 busses available to take us to the city. We were 7 hours late getting to the port (medical emergency) and only had a few precious hours there, so it would have been nice for Princess to inquire about the busses in advance.

In Lerwick (Shetland Islands), we waited 1 hour and 20 minutes for a tender. After being told that there would be separate tenders for those going on tour and those just getting off, we were held up while they disembarked those who had booked a tour with Princess.

In Halifax, when we returned to the ship, they made passengers get back on the ship on deck 5 causing them to walk up a very steep ramp while they used deck 4 to leave the ship. (Note, that this was late in the day so I really didn't see anone leaving the ship.) Since my Mom (83 years old) could not walk up that steep ramp, I wanted her to be able to get back on using the other entrance. They kept refusing until I finally found someone who would listen. It made no sense to use those ramps that way. Use the flat one to return and the steeper one to leave.

The last night of the cruise, we talked with people who waited over 2 hours to get into the dining room. Seems that some of the waiters called in "sick" in protest of the tipping policy.

Disembarking in New York was well over an hour late causing many people to fear they would miss their planes.

Would I travel on Princess again? Sure, if the itinerary and price were right. i would, though, try to avoid the larger ships since it really appeared to me that they couldn't handle the 3100 passengers.

Amazing story, since our friends were on the same cruise and other than missing Bergen and an Iceland port and the weather being cold, they raved about the whole trip. As for protestations; never heard anything about it. Two hours to get into DR? Baloney! NY arrival interfering with air? Never heard a thing about it. Sounds to me like two different cruises. :confused:

Everyone has their own views of what is acceptable and what is not. We have travelled twice on the Crown, the first time was OK but the trip in August this year was diabolical and we had to complain for the first time in 19 Princess cruises. I personally would NEVER again travel on the Crown because in my opinion it is the worst of the Princess ships but you will find many people on this site who think that the Crown is wonderful.

Everyone has their own views of what is acceptable and what is not. We have travelled twice on the Crown, the first time was OK but the trip in August this year was diabolical and we had to complain for the first time in 19 Princess cruises. I personally would NEVER again travel on the Crown because in my opinion it is the worst of the Princess ships but you will find many people on this site who think that the Crown is wonderful.

Can you detail why the cruise was so bad?

We were on the Crown Princess last year for New Year's. We had a great time. It was my first cruise on a "Crown"-class ship. Here's a link to that voyage... I believe you'll be on the same itinerary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcekparian/collections/72157625796641480/

Thanks for allowing us to view your photos...we'll be on the Crown for this years New Year's Eve celebrations

Amazing story, since our friends were on the same cruise and other than missing Bergen and an Iceland port and the weather being cold, they raved about the whole trip. As for protestations; never heard anything about it. Two hours to get into DR? Baloney! NY arrival interfering with air? Never heard a thing about it. Sounds to me like two different cruises. :confused:

It's always interesting to hear about two different groups of people on the same cruise who have diametrically opposed experiences. Different strokes and whatnot...:p

My cruise on the Crown was just fine... of course, we were on a Southern Caribbean holiday itinerary... maybe that was the difference?

Thanks for allowing us to view your photos...we'll be on the Crown for this years New Year's Eve celebrations

No problem... glad you enjoyed them! :)

Our first cruise was on the Crown and we had a fantastic time. The food was great - we barely ate in the buffet, but everything was great in the MDR, Sabatini's, the Trident Grill and the Pizza on the pool deck. I can't think of a single issue that we had, aside from one excursion issue that was the tour operator's fault more than anything. When we complained, Princess sent us an apology and a very nice bottle of wine. It was certainly a good enough experience to get us hooked. :D

We were on the Crown for spring break last year. We're booked again for the week before Christmas. I'm looking forward to getting back to that size ship after being on the Island last year for Christmas. I missed Adagio, the quiet bar near Sabatini's.

Archived