Denali Princess Lodge- booking for 2012?

kmpjdd

After our cruise NB from Vancouver to Whittier in June 2012, we plan on driving north to Denali National Park. We would like to attempt to stay at the Denali Princess Lodge even though we are not booking a cruisetour. Does anyone know when they will open for booking for the summer 2012 season?

Thanks!

JMHO, but there are MUCH better places to stay than the Denali Princess. Can very often get the best of the best hotels in Denali (Grande Denali and Denali Bluffs) for what the Denali Princess charges. There are also some very good B & B's and other lodging that is better than a mass market, filled to capacity lodge with sometimes mass confusion and overpriced food in Denali.

I go to Denali about once every other year. Stayed at Princess quite a few years ago. Never again. Just too crowded, too many cruise tour people running all over the place totally confused where they should go and what time they should be there, nothing special in the way of accommodations. Not for me. But I do LOVE the Grande Denali. Have gotten some super spectacular bargains on a $300+ per night hotel. Just got to watch their own website and all the hotel booking engines.

Consider looking at Healy. We booked a cabin in Healy (3 nights)for next July following our cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. Healy has many options, about 10 milies north of the entrance but much more peaceful from what I understand.The prices were mich more reasonable as well. We opted for kitchen facilities with a grill so we can cook our own dinners if we choose to do so.

The link that Maple Leaves posted will take you to Healy as well.

Let me add another comment to the "stay elsewhere" posts. Wife and I just returned from two nights at Denali for the road lottery (you get to drive your own vehicle into the park). Once again, we stayed in Healy at the Denali Lakeview and loved it. Best rooms are on the 2nd floor with large windows, a jacuzzi, and a balcony. The price was $100.00 less than we would have paid at the hotels in "glitter gulch". It's only a 15 minute drive to the park entrance but a world away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist zone. It is one of the advantages of having your own car.

Let me add another comment to the "stay elsewhere" posts. Wife and I just returned from two nights at Denali for the road lottery (you get to drive your own vehicle into the park). Once again, we stayed in Healy at the Denali Lakeview and loved it. Best rooms are on the 2nd floor with large windows, a jacuzzi, and a balcony. The price was $100.00 less than we would have paid at the hotels in "glitter gulch". It's only a 15 minute drive to the park entrance but a world away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist zone. It is one of the advantages of having your own car.

Glitter Gulch is not a compliment for a nick name!

Road Lottery was great this year. Though not a fan of Glitter Gulch, Denali Bluffs and Grande Denali had specials of $79/night during Road Lottery, so I doubt the Lakeview Inn paid you $21/night to stay there :D

Key with lodging near Denali is to know what you want and know what you are buying. Stayed in Glitter Gulch myself in June but that was due to logistics more than anything else.

Road Lottery was great this year. Though not a fan of Glitter Gulch, Denali Bluffs and Grande Denali had specials of $79/night during Road Lottery, so I doubt the Lakeview Inn paid you $21/night to stay there :D

Key with lodging near Denali is to know what you want and know what you are buying. Stayed in Glitter Gulch myself in June but that was due to logistics more than anything else.

We drove in on the 18th and couldn't get a room at Denali Bluffs since they said they were closed. Not a fan of Grande Denali at all but that's a personal preference. Yes, the drive was spectacular. Loved the colors of the landscape and the mountain was visible quite a bit of the time.

We paid $129.00 at Lakeview when Princess and McKinley Chalet were quoting 200-250 per night. Also could not get a 2 night in a row stay at either since tour groups were still coming in.

As for name "glitter gulch", I don't think it is designed to be complimentary. The area is really overdeveloped and crowded. The rows of souvenir and t-shirt shops and (gasp!) stop lights have added to the reputation as well.

We drove in on the 18th and couldn't get a room at Denali Bluffs since they said they were closed. Not a fan of Grande Denali at all but that's a personal preference. Yes, the drive was spectacular. Loved the colors of the landscape and the mountain was visible quite a bit of the time.

We paid $129.00 at Lakeview when Princess and McKinley Chalet were quoting 200-250 per night. Also could not get a 2 night in a row stay at either since tour groups were still coming in.

My friend booked the Bluffs months ago for the Road Lottery dates (3 nights) at the $79/night rate. Ended up that they closed early so they put him in Grande Denali with no upcharge. I think as soon as Road Lottery winners were announced in July, campgrounds and hotels really filled up quickly. As with most things in Alaska, the early bird gets the worm (i.e. the best deals).

After our cruise NB from Vancouver to Whittier in June 2012, we plan on driving north to Denali National Park. We would like to attempt to stay at the Denali Princess Lodge even though we are not booking a cruisetour. Does anyone know when they will open for booking for the summer 2012 season?

Thanks!

Not sure about Princess but the Grande Denali Lodge should be taking reservations near the end of October this year for next summer.

Our preference is the Grande although, including here, there have been several posts from regulars on the boards that the Denali Lakeview is good.

Thanks to everyone for your comments! I was not aware that there were areas close to Denali National Park to stay other than "glitter gulch" (Healy, for example). If anyone has any specific recommendations for accommodations within 15 minutes or so from the park, please feel free to post them. Thanks again!

The Denali Chamber of Commerce link that I posted earlier has lodging at the park entrance as well as Healy and Carlo Creek.

It all depends on your budget and what you're looking for since the choices are so varied. Do you want a b&b with a full b'fast and view, or nice cabin with kitchen facilities, or a nice lodge? Why don't you look thru the choices then ask for some feedback on your top choices ?

Archived