Fascination Delay Due to Tide/Bridge

legalwife

Haven't seen this on here before so thought I would post. If you sail the Fascination and the departure time is high tide, you will be allowed on ship, but sail when tide is low so ship can fit under bridge. It doesn't happen often and have not had it happen to anyone I know, but did happen to me this past Thursday. :) We left at 9:30 p.m.

Just an interesting fact for you. And, before you post, sorry if someone has seen it on here before. I did do a search and could not find it.

Haven't seen this on here before so thought I would post. If you sail the Fascination and the departure time is high tide, you will be allowed on ship, but sail when tide is low so ship can fit under bridge. It doesn't happen often and have not had it happen to anyone I know, but did happen to me this past Thursday. :) We left at 9:30 p.m.

Just an interesting fact for you. And, before you post, sorry if someone has seen it on here before. I did do a search and could not find it.

Wonder where you could find out when high tide is on a specific date?

That happened on my Fascination cruise on 9/3/11. However; it was only a 1.5 hr delay and sailed at 5:30pm. Coming back, I noticed that we stopped before going under the bridge. Wonder if was due to the same thing?

According to our 21 year old son, we should have gone to the highest deck on the ship and experienced the under bridge deal. He said it was really neat. They were so close. We were on our balcony and could hear everyone scream when we went under. Now I wish we had been up there but we were too tired after our day.

I do like to sail away in daylight, but the lights on the bridge were very pretty.

While you are looking at tides, look to see when there is a full moon. Amazing to look out and see the water during full moon.

This is the time of year that we have the highest tides Florida and add a full moon on top of that, they get pretty high.

• 7 months later...

We were delayed until 7:00pm in Nov., as were many cruises that month.

There was construction on the bridge, so lots of stuff was dangling over it, making the clearance even shorter than normal. Therefore, if the tide was anything but low, the ship was delayed.

It didn't seem to bother the passengers who were embarking, but a Carnival employee at the pier told me there were some mean and nasty people upset about their delay coming back from their cruise. :eek:

You have to watch the high tides around the full moon as they are higher than normal. If you combine that with an easterly wind, the wind keeps the water pushed back into the rivers for a "super high" tide. I've seen extreme cases with very strong winds where the tide never really goes out.

Bottom line, try to book your cruises out of Jax when the moon isn't full! :cool:

Can anyone tell me approximately how far is the top of the funnel from the bridge when the ship sails under the bridge?

Also, can anyone tell me if the tide will be high or low this Saturday. I tried to read the link that was supplied earlier but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me approximately how far is the top of the funnel from the bridge when the ship sails under the bridge?

Also, can anyone tell me if the tide will be high or low this Saturday. I tried to read the link that was supplied earlier but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

Thanks!

I want to say it's something ridiculous, like only 6 feet clearance, but when you're watching, it seems like only 6 inches.:eek:

According to our 21 year old son, we should have gone to the highest deck on the ship and experienced the under bridge deal. He said it was really neat. They were so close. We were on our balcony and could hear everyone scream when we went under. Now I wish we had been up there but we were too tired after our day.

I do like to sail away in daylight, but the lights on the bridge were very pretty.

While you are looking at tides, look to see when there is a full moon. Amazing to look out and see the water during full moon.

We did this on the Legend going under the bridge out of Tampa. It was awesome! Especially when the captain blew the horn just under the bridge. What a cool sound!

Ahhh, much better! Thanks! It looks like high tide for us will be just before we leave, and it looks to be almost 5 ft... I wonder what this means for sail away... Ha!! I won't care tho, bc I'll be on the boat :) and on VACATION!!! :D

We sail June 4 (by luck it's a full moon...) with a high tide coming that morning at 9 A.M.

My question would be on the sailing before ours that will be arriving that morning, will they be coming in early enough in the wee hours of the morning to make it into port (under the bridge) on time or do they have to wait for a full low tide to come in?

Agree on the not caring as long as I'm on board. But I sure do hope to get to board at regular time and not have to wait hours sitting at the port building.

We sail June 4 (by luck it's a full moon...) with a high tide coming that morning at 9 A.M.

My question would be on the sailing before ours that will be arriving that morning, will they be coming in early enough in the wee hours of the morning to make it into port (under the bridge) on time or do they have to wait for a full low tide to come in?

Agree on the not caring as long as I'm on board. But I sure do hope to get to board at regular time and not have to wait hours sitting at the port building.

I want to say the ship returns to Jax at 6:00am or maybe even earlier. I doubt you'll be waiting long if you DO have to wait.

It happened to us last August but I think partially because the hurricane that was on it's way (winds, etc.).

Best spot to watch the ship go under the bridge is on the back of the ship on the top 2 decks. From that angle it looks like the ship's smokestack is going to hit the bridge! Awesome experience! :-)

Archived