First timer, laundry question

Angiet75

So everyone says dont over pack. So

do you pack a little and do your laundry on board?

is there laundry service? whats it like and do i want to do that instead of packing like i normally do?

Carnival Legend 81 days away

Dec 18th-26th To the western Caribbean.

check that your boat has a laundrymat and then pack enough for half the cruise and half way thru you can wash it. they dont have many machines so it is hard to get to them, you can pay extra and have them launder it. If your not going on a plane you can pack as much as you want. you can also reware stuff - like your swim suit, dress up clothes if you only wear for the diner and then take off. I bought a lot of double duty stuff- sun dress that has a bolaro with it so you can were it during the day and add the bolaro for dinner. same with tops have one that works well with the day and can be paired with a skirt or pants for the dining room.

I do not believe that Carnival has a laundry mat....Trust me the ships are big enough that people will not notice if you wear something twice or even three times....We do laundry a lot of times in our room for the dainty things....Pack light...you will not regret it

Legend has laundromats if you're inclined to do laundry on your vacation:(

You can also have laundry sent out...It's not outrageous but it ain't cheap either:p They do not do dry cleaning.

Lightweight clothing and clothing that can do double duty can help. I'm assuming that this is your first cruise. Chances are that you will overpack. I think we all did for the first cruise.:D

I wouldn't worry about overpacking except for the airline fees for extra & overweight bags.

Charlie

Carnival ships do have self-service laundry. I do not recommend it for a week's voyage. Take things you can mix/match and cut down on clothes that way. The suggestions for light packing are to avoid casual wear + dinner wear + beach attire for each and every day.

You can send laundry out (for a charge) or use the self-serve machines on Carnival (for a charge ... machine + soap). I witnessed someone ruin every single one of his family's articles of clothing when there was rust in the water line on a Carnival ship.

washer & dryer are around $4 each to use, plus the cost of soap & laundry sheets if you don't pack them. The tide sheets that are laundry soap & softener in 1 are pretty handy, will save you a little cash & don't weigh much or take up too much room in your suitcase.

The washer is small, but you get a lot of time on the dryer so you may be able to do a little more than 1 load on the dry time.

I pack a lot but my son goes through clothes like you wouldn't believe, so I often do a load or two on a week long cruise.

is there laundry service? whats it like and do i want to do that instead of packing like i normally do?

Legend Laundry cost $3.00 to wash $3.00 to dry

There is also valet service at a per item cost and they will have a special for fill the bag for X amount of $$ the day will be on a flyer one evening. They also have iron only at the cost of 80% the per item cost and they have DRY CLEANING as well.

I paid $20 for 8 pieces to be ironed only .. 2 suits, 2 dress pants, 2 dress shirts and 2 blouses

Name: Launderettes

Riviera Deck 1 - midship / across from 1219

Main Deck 4 - aft / across from 4230

Upper Deck 5 - aft / across from 5270

Empress Deck 6 - forward / across from 6102

Verandah Deck 7 - midship / across from 7267

Hours: hours posted on the door to the Laundry

Function: Self-Service Launderette

2 or 3 washers

2 or 3 dryers

1 iron and ironing board

Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener

I did laundry on Carnival once, when we had back-2-back cruises. Did it on the first day of the second cruise - nobody else was trying to use the facilities.

They also have irons that are free to use, but plan ahead. If you try to use it the afternoon of Elegant night in the dining room, there will be a longggggg line!

If you want to do laundry while on vacation then Carnival has self service laundry rooms on each deck where there are cabins. Otherwise, either pack enough for the cruise or have the ship do the laundry for a small fortune.

Princess also have self-service laundries. In fact, with our desire to do cruises longer than a week or/and combining a cruise with a land trip, a self-serve laundry room is a must for us, especially as one member of our family is allergic to regular laundry detergent. I was happy to discover that clothes washed with the 3-in-1 unscented Purex sheets didn't bother her as those sheets take up very little room in the suitcase.

I believe all of the Carnival ships have the washers and dryers too.

Thanks for the info. sounds like i can just pack like 2 or 3 shirts per pair of pants and one dress for elegant night.

i am flying and dont want to pay for bags

i figure a large share suitcase for hubby and I and one carry on each will be fine.

laundry if we need it but dont really want to do it ont he ship.

Thanks for the info. sounds like i can just pack like 2 or 3 shirts per pair of pants and one dress for elegant night.

i am flying and dont want to pay for bags

i figure a large share suitcase for hubby and I and one carry on each will be fine.

laundry if we need it but dont really want to do it ont he ship.

I feel your pain about paying for bags when flying.

Your plan sounds good with a word of warning. Make sure you pack underwear and changes of clothes for each of you in your carryons for the first day/night of the cruise. There are times when your checked baggage left with the porters does not arrive at your cabin prior to dinner.

Anything you treasure or deem you can not live without that first day/night onboard should be in your carry ons. Sometimes that means you need to shuffle a few items from your checked baggage from the airplane to your carry on for the ship.:)

Dianne

i can manage an 8-day cruise with one carryon ... but there are some items like jeans, shorts, even t's, which can be worn more than once before needing to be washed.

i generally try to bring enough shirts and underwear for each day, plus one or two elegant outfits. I wear my biggest outfits: jeans, hoodie (it does get cold, even in the caribbean at night!), biggest shoes, while boarding to decrease the room used in my rolly-case.

if need be, you can either do laundry, or you might find you need one shirt washed -- if so, then just handwash it in the sink basin in your cabin. the Carnival shampoo works well as a laundry soap in a pinch -- have been on muddy excursions to learn this. there's a laundry tie-line in the shower. thread it through the arms of shirts to keep them in place whilst drying.

chances are you'd never need to do an entire load of laundry unless you were travelling with several children. but the bag-and-go and the self-serve laundromats are both available on Carnival.

We send a few things out. A couple of shirts, a couple pair of pants, some of my husbands underwear. We've never spent over $25 for a week long cruise and we advise not to use any "laundry special" unless you can use more than 10 pair of socks and underwear in less than a weeks time. The laundry special is only wash and fold, not good for clothing you want to wear without being a wrinkled mess.

Some of our things are laundered, some of it dry cleaned. We don't send out everything we take, just the few things we wear twice.

For example, we embark and disembark in the same clothes. Same thing with first and last nights dinner clothing. My husband wear slacks at least twice to other nights dinners, formal nights (2) he takes one shirt for his suit and 2 ties. I've found that jersey knit dresses pack smaller and lighter than a top/slacks for me, I'll take 2 of those and one pair of black slacks/2 tops. Cocktail length dresses for formal nights pack smaller than long dresses.

Shoes, one pair formal, one pair casual night, walking sandals and one pair flip flops. Sneakers for walking laps, can't get lower than 5 pair no matter how I try. At least only 4 pair are packed. My husband has it easier on the shoes, I think he only takes 3 pair.

Daytime, shorts and shirts, these are sent out for laundry after wearing. You can take only 3 of each and make it nicely through the week. I challenge anyone to notice I'm wearing the same clothes again and if they do, it's their problem not mine.

The one thing I refuse to do is to take old clothes and toss them along the way. Not only tacky, but a cruise (to me) is a luxury vacation and I'm not going to wear old worn out clothing. I don't shop for "cruise clothes" either, I just pack from what I already have.

TMI?

We cruised Carnival 3 times (couple with kid): one 12 day cruise

two 7 day cruises

We always do laundry 2-3 times during each cruise in the ship (Washing $3, drying $3, soap.$1)

You also have an iron in the laundrette

You have extensible wire in your stateroom to dry (if you don´t want pay for it)

The big pro is that to do laundry in your pre or post cruise hotel is far more expensive and if the total trip lenght is 12-15 days, you will need it.

Nicholas II

2011 Carnival Valor, Exotic West Caribbean

2009 Carnival Victory, Southern Caribbean

2007 Carnival Freedom, Grand Mediterranean

Archived