Infinity Sept 16-26.

warmwinds

Just back from the 10 night Infinity Ultimate Alaska. This was a wonderful cruise, marred only by bad weather and some minor changes in itinerary caused by it. I am very grateful that the Captain decided to keep us safe and calm and avoid the terrible weather and high seas that we would have experienced had we kept to our original itinerary. We were disappointed to miss Glacier Bay, but Tracy Arm and the South Sawyer Glacier were fine substitutes. No one can control the weather and we thought the decisions that were made were very prudent and appreciated.

We travel the M class only in afts every year or two...for the first time I would say that our beautiful aft balcony was really not necessary. Most of the time it was so windy and rainy we could not even stand out at the railing to enjoy the views (but we're wimps). We still love the location for the view of the wake and the brightness it gives to the cabin, but our loungers went unused, our table stayed empty.

I thought the food was just as good as on any Celebrity cruise we have ever been on...I really have no idea where the complaints come from. We enjoyed all MDR meals, and the lunch buffets. Breakfast was fine but got repetitive every day, even if you order something different each day. Disappointed in the same old boring melons each day. Yes, I know, there is also the whole fruits, but some berries would have been a nice addition. Waffles were made up too far in advance and after getting my first ice cold one I asked for a fresh one to be made...I felt badly about it since there were a pile of cold ones there, but I'm sorry, I don't want a cold waffle! I tried the Asian breakfast for the first time and surprisingly liked many of the things - congee (with lots of additions), eggs in spicy peanut sauce...branch out and try some things you've never had before, you might be pleasantly surprised!

We thought the entertainment was ok...enjoyed the Big review shows (thought the women were much stronger singers than the men), but thought the comedian and Sideshow guy sort of missed the mark...part of the problem was that the Cruise Director (Mike GIbbons) was WAY over the top with his introductions and praise...you should under-promise and over-deliver, not the other way around.

It was our first time as Elite and we enjoyed many of the perks - especially loved all the free laundry, very helpful, and my husband got his tux cleaned for free to bring home! We went to MichaelsClub for breakfast twice, and the Elite cocktail party twice...Michael's food offerings at breakfast were no better that an the buffet, although the atmosphere was nicer and you got a free fancy coffee - big deal. Same with the cocktail hour - from our aft it was a looong way to go for a free drink then Allll the way back to the aft for dinner, especially since we were on early seating. Nice to get a free drink but I'd rather pay for one and enjoy the music in the lounges. We especially liked Kathleen and the Saints who played in the Rendez Vous and the a capella guys - one of our favorite things about Celebrity ships.

We didn't join the Roll Call but met several of you on board...a special shout out to our aft neighbors in 7212...really enjoyed your company and were sorry we did not get a chance to say goodbye, maybe some day we'll show up on your doorstep on the 4th of July!

I'm not sorry we booked this last of the season cruise...we knew the weather wouldn't be great, and we were mentally prepared for it. Disembarkation had a terrible glitch - no taxis! When our porter finally flagged one down, the taxi driver said he had no idea the ship was due in - it usually arrives on Fridays, but because this was the last cruise, a 10 dayer, it would have made sense for Celebrity to alert the taxi companies of that fact. I mean, we were one of the first off, and there were just a few taxi stragglers and it was pouring rain.

I think I've got M-class burn-out...never thought I would say that. I think I'd really like to try Aqua Class on an S-class ship, then decide if we want to go back to our afts (I know I'll miss that balcony, but right now I just need a change).

Any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks for a very nice review. Somehow, I don't think I am capable of ever being an M class burnout. :) Like them so much better than S class.

Can you possibly tell me who the Cpt, hotel director, cc hostess/host, cruise director and the guitarist were? Thanks. I will be on her next month.

By the way, Mike is a bit of an acquired taste, but seems to be a nice enough young man. Just needs to smooth his rough edges a bit.

Anne

I am so terrible with names! The captain was Greek (duh), and my husband thinks his name started with an L, I think it started with an M. He was a heavy-set guy. The captain's club host was Chandra from India, but he told us he was getting off in Seattle and going home to India.

Cruise director was Mike Gibbons, have no idea who the Hotel Manager was.

Unfortunately we did not save any of our literature.

Very well could be...my husband did say "L".

You also asked about a guitarist...the first few nights there was a duo, a blonde singer named Tammy and her partner who was a guitarist. After the first couple of nights they separated, she mostly performed in Michael's Club, and he was solo in various venues around the ship.

Since the ship was now headed for repositioning and then to the Panama Canal, many people we spoke to were ending their contracts in Seattle.

Just back from the 10 night Infinity Ultimate Alaska.. Waffles were made up too far in advance and after getting my first ice cold one I asked for a fresh one to be made...I felt badly about it since there were a pile of cold ones there, but I'm sorry, I don't want a cold waffle!

Thanks for posting.

Don't feel badly, I ALWAYS ask for fresh waffles. ;)

We have been sailing in aft cabins (both S1 corner suites and the center larger balcony CC ones) on the Eclipse and Equinox and they are our favorite of all our Celebrity cruises. We don't mind the long walks to the stairs -- you know, we kinda need the exercise!

Do you remember the party band?

The party band was Intenz 6.. Actually, my husband and I were not impressed with any of the entertainment on the ship. The Jazz trio didn't start on time and would mostly jam and talk to each other at the beginning of their set while we were there waiting for dinner. We went to the Champagne Bar mainly to listen to her sing and just couldn't get a whole song or one sung well out of her.

We didn't hit many of the shows as they were before our late dinner and we just didn't want to be out and about so early before dinner.

Our biggest complaint is the smoking in the Constellation and the lack of evening activities or quality entertainment. We did catch the first production show and quite enjoyed it. There were also two aerolists (sp?) Jocka and Maria and they were quite good, but signed off at the end of the cruise.

cruise bunny, I agree that the entertainment was pretty weak. We also found that many of the musical groups started late...it almost seemed like they were pissed at their contracts and were not going to give ONE MINUTE more. Tammy, the blonde piano player, we thought was very good when we heard her at the beginning of the cruise, but every time we went to see her again she was not there at all, or so late we gave up waiting (usually in Michaels Club).

Jocko and Maria were very talented (I guess) but we've seen so many Cirque du Soleil shows that we were burned out on their type of talent.

I felt terribly bad towards the end of the cruise, because we had really enjoyed Don Enright (I think that was his name, the naturalist)...we loved his lectures, but one of the last ones he followed Jocko and Maria, and after the J&M presentation (which went long), almost all of the Celebrity Theater cleared out...Don was so much more educational and informative!

Archived