Lobster question

sharod

Last year on the Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England sailings they offered real Maine lobsters in the dining room and in the specialty restaurants. In the main dining room the Maine lobster was available for $14.95 just like the Chops filet. This was not that warm water crustacean that pretends to be lobster on most sailings and is on the menu on one night of the cruise but real Maine lobster. It proved extremely popular and they actually brought on enough lobsters that they were able to offer this menu choice for several days into the subsequent repositioning cruise.:) It was an additional offering on the nightly MDR menu, not a replacement for any other entree. In the Windjammer cafe in the evenings one of the more popular offerings on these cruises was mussels.

Yumms!!! :D

I've got a lobster question...anyone know if they're boiled or steamed on RCL ships?

They are steamed, I believe.

What surprises me,is that no one asks if they

are warm water lobsters or, cold water lobsters...

The warm water lobsters you get on Celebrity..(at least the last time I was on ~X~ they were.) R.C.C.L. serves those good lobster tails from the cold waters off Canada.. (I verified they come from Canada, one time.) They are the best and, really tasty...the BEST lobster we ever got was on a tour of Prince Edward Island..we had an excursion that included a lobster dinner..they bought them right up out of the water for us...FRESH...

That was a great cruise of New England, and, Canada..

Gary you're right. The warm water "Spiny" Lobsters are still being served on X, at least they were on the new Eclipse this past April. They are good but small, served with tiger shrimp on a bed of garlic pasta. Yummy!

I too prefer cold water Lobster & what I really miss onboard is getting the claw as well. To me the claw meat is quite tasty!

In case you want to see what you're missin, check out these cool water crustacteans!

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/special/lobster-cam.html

Now pass me dat buttah!!!:)

Just off the Enchantment.....Lobster night.....both my husband and I asked for 2 Lobsters and no shrimp and got them with a smile and an offer for more....no talk of any charge....the tails were a good size, tender and really quite good !!!!

Chops Grille did a lunch special the last sea day that included a 1.5# whole maine lobster plus chowder, crab cake, potato and corn and blueberry pie/ice cream for $30 ....also a Lobster dinner available there

jan

When your lobster is served, wait a minute and your waiter or head waiter will come and take the lobster off the tail for you. Plus I wait for the butter too, which usually the waiter pours over the lobster after it is served. I usually have not had the traditional "drawn butter" for dipping each lobster bite. Most of the time the lobster has been pretty tasty. In January, 2006, I arranged a cruise on the Splendor of the Seas from Galveston. That was only a 5 day cruise, but RCCL still served lobster then on 5 day cruises. Two of our guys each had six (count 'em) lobster tails. Two is all I can handle, but I usually get the prime rib too that night.

Sometime waiters will bring platters of extra lobster tails for "seconds". Othertimes they just bring another complete Fisherman's Plate with the shrimp and veggies -- even if all you wanted was just another lobster tail. If that happens, I often just eat the lobster and leave shrimp and veggies. Wasteful, yes, but the ship throws out most of the unordered food anyway.

Sometimes the 1st MDR seating is restricted to 2 or 3 lobster tails, to make sure the 2nd seating has enough. Other times there is no restriction.

RCCL menu says "broiled lobster tail". http://www.cruisegoers.com/mariner/food/menu-and-pictures-day-6/

Try the "creamed wild mushrooms in puff pastry" for a starter that night.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived