Lobster question

sharod

I have a friend who's parents are sailing RCCL right now. Not sure of the ship, all I know is older, and it left for the New England states, 9 nighter, on 9/22.

Apparently, the father had asked for a 2nd lobster tail and was told that it would cost him an additional $14.95. (She thinks this was the price her father told her).

Now, I am NOT trying to start a rumor, but I was wondering if someone would be able to confirm this. I sure hope not!!! I am hoping it was a miscommunication between the server and the father.

Thanks!!

welp, all i can say is 2 weeks ago , on allure i had two fishermens platters (2each second formal night,both weeks) and my waiter was willing to bring me a third...but i was kinda full by then:D

absolutely NO mention of an extra charge , so i hope to put that misunderstanding to rest ....BTW ,the lobster tails were big and not rubbery;):cool:

dave

I have a friend who's parents are sailing RCCL right now. Not sure of the ship, all I know is older, and it left for the New England states, 9 nighter, on 9/22.

Apparently, the father had asked for a 2nd lobster tail and was told that it would cost him an additional $14.95. (She thinks this was the price her father told her).

Now, I am NOT trying to start a rumor, but I was wondering if someone would be able to confirm this. I sure hope not!!! I am hoping it was a miscommunication between the server and the father.

Thanks!!

Could this have been in a specialty restaurant and not in the MDR?

We were on the Oasis 9/10 sailing and there was an option in the MDR to purchase Maine lobster from Chops. I believe it was $34.95 if you wanted surf & turf...can't remember the price for just the lobster, but I know a Chops filet mignon was $14.95, so maybe the waiter was referring to ordering one of the Chops options?

Could this have been in a specialty restaurant and not in the MDR?

I just asked the one daughter, she laughed, and said no way would her father pay to go to a speciality restaurant when you can eat in the MDR for free!!!

the lobster on Oasis was HUGE. I ordered two because I expected two little ones as usual. I couldnt eat them both and was so embarrassed. They were so good, prefectly cooked.

No charge.

Freedom, Mariner, Monarch, Radiance, Jewel....all awful.

But then I compare them to those fresh lobster tails in Maine... ;)

OK you answered your own question, as other ships have the two little ones, not the super sized deliciously cooked ones I know I got on Oasis.

I dont know if these were Maine or not, but they were really good compared to the usual little bitty ones.

Are you sure it's an RCI ship? I seem to recall another cruise line charging for a premium lobster dish.

$14.95 on a RCI ship would be for the Chops filet.

On the NE/Canada itineraries, they sometimes offer a Maine lobster special in the MDR for $14.95. I know they did on our Jewel cruise last year and on other ships too as there was a thread about it. They are offering a lobster special again on the Jewel this year and also a lobster and mussel special in Portofino.

On the NE/Canada itineraries, they sometimes offer a Maine lobster special in the MDR for $14.95. I know they did on our Jewel cruise last year and on other ships too as there was a thread about it. They are offering a lobster special again on the Jewel this year and also a lobster and mussel special in Portofino.

Maybe this is what it is about. Sounds logical. I will have them ask their father about it when he gets home.

A steak is 14.95 if you order the steak special on the menu each night. Must be some miscommunication going on here.

You can order a steak from Chops to be served in the MDR and it will cost extra as it is a bigger steak than what is served on the regular menu. IIRC last year on Freedom it cost $15.

We spend summers in Maine....won't order the little rubber chicken things on the ship. :(

Charge or no charge.

Last year on the Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England sailings they offered real Maine lobsters in the dining room and in the specialty restaurants. In the main dining room the Maine lobster was available for $14.95 just like the Chops filet. This was not that warm water crustacean that pretends to be lobster on most sailings and is on the menu on one night of the cruise but real Maine lobster. It proved extremely popular and they actually brought on enough lobsters that they were able to offer this menu choice for several days into the subsequent repositioning cruise.:) It was an additional offering on the nightly MDR menu, not a replacement for any other entree. In the Windjammer cafe in the evenings one of the more popular offerings on these cruises was mussels.

Archived