Which Mediterranean Cruise?

LMO

Recently returned from the Athens to Istanbul cruise on the Odyssey. We loved the ship, the service and the time of year (Aug. 29 - Sept. 5). We are in the process of booking another Mediterranean cruise for next year.

There is an 11 day Mediterranean cruise (June 15) on the Quest and some of the ports are Rome, Sorrento, Lipari, Valletta, Trapani, Valencia, & Barcelona.

There is also a 10 day Mediterranean Isles cruise (Sept. 5) on the Legend. Some of the ports are Monte Carlo, St. Tropez, Corsica, Trapani, Valetta, Sorrento and Rome.

Questions:

*Will June 15th be too hot and crowded?

*We know the Legend is a much smaller ship and will be a different experience. Interested in comments from any of you that have been on both size ships.

*Is one itinerary recommended over another?

Thank you all ahead of time for your help with this. I appreciate your comments.

Imo September is a better month to cruise the Med than June. Also June on the Quest will bring children on board if that's an issue for you. And since you have already sailed on one of the larger SB ships why not try a triplet which truly represents what Seabourn is all about and how the line made its reputation? They won't be around forever and are truly special.

As for itinerary many of the ports are the same so either would be great.

I would go in September rather than June.

You will find far less tourists in the ports (Rome excluded) in September rather than June and the weather will be a little more pleasant.

Like, Henry, I also think it's nice to be able to experience the 200 passengers triplets. They won't be around forever and newer ships will not be that size.

Keith

I have to say that I would go with the larger ship. When I was on one of the smaller ships, I never felt like I was cruising. We had a French balcony and couldn't really sit outside. In addition, the pool area was so enclosed I did not feel like I was on a ship. Just didn't seem like a cruising experience. Not a big fan of the triplets as everyone else seems to be.

I agree that the pool location is very poor on the triplets and the French balconies are not balconies at all (which is why I would never pay the extra for them.) HOWEVER, to say you don't feel like you're cruising on the triplets is something I don't understand. They convey the feeling of true cruising far more than the floating condos and theme parks that most large ships are today. You do get the sense of being on a private yacht which is the epitome of cruising imo.

I agree that the pool location is very poor on the triplets and the French balconies are not balconies at all (which is why I would never pay the extra for them.) HOWEVER, to say you don't feel like you're cruising on the triplets is something I don't understand. They convey the feeling of true cruising far more than the floating condos and theme parks that most large ships are today. You do get the sense of being on a private yacht which is the epitome of cruising imo.

I agree. This is a very unique experience and I would recommend cruising on them while they are in service. It is a very unique experience.

Keith

While I have not yet been on a big sister( though we have just booked a Quest cruise) I will say that I would also lean toward the Legend. We have been to all of the ports listed except Lipari and I would say based on the ports I give a slight edge to the Legend cruise. But more sigificantly I agree that September is a nicer time to cruise in the Med( we have done it foru times on Seabourn) for the reasons mentioned -- better weather ( still warm enough to sun bathe but unlikely to be really hot), fewer crowds, and yes, fewer children on board.

Archived