January in the Bahamas?

Forensicmom

Hubby and I are considering taking the kids on a short (4 night) cruise to the Bahamas. The kids have NEVER been on a cruise before and since they're all in school, we don't want them to miss more then 2 days of school. They have a few days off in January but we're afraid the weather will not be good. There are some really good deals for that month but is it worth it to go then or is it best to spend 3 times more and go when the weather is warmer?

There is a 4 night on Liberty of the Seas departing on Thursday and returning on Monday from Ft. Lauderdale. It visits Cozumel only but would be warm weather, warm water and a family friendly ship. I know this might not work for you for a multitude fo reasons but I thought I'd share.

The weather will be quite comfortable in the Bahamas in January, although you might find the water cooler than you would like for swimming. EM

Yep, correct as always. :D

We were in the Bahamas in December and it was a little cooler than we would have liked. ;)

Hubby and I are considering taking the kids on a short (4 night) cruise to the Bahamas. The kids have NEVER been on a cruise before and since they're all in school, we don't want them to miss more then 2 days of school. They have a few days off in January but we're afraid the weather will not be good. There are some really good deals for that month but is it worth it to go then or is it best to spend 3 times more and go when the weather is warmer?

Weather is great down there any time.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in the Bahamas in early December. Not only was it cooler than we would have liked, but it was windy too! I most likely will not go back to the Bahamas in the winter. We now prefer S Caribbean in the winter. W Caribbean may be ok, but could still be too cool to swim, but better than snow!:)

We were in the Bahamas in early December. Not only was it cooler than we would have liked, but it was windy too! I most likely will not go back to the Bahamas in the winter. We now prefer S Caribbean in the winter. W Caribbean may be ok, but could still be too cool to swim, but better than snow!:)

I agree about the wind! Depending if your cruise was on a line that visited a private island, one in which must be tendered to, the wind may pose a problem with that. We have sailed around that time of year and have missed three private islands due to the wind (including Castaway Cay which docks). But I also agree with that at least its not snow and there are fun things to do onboard!

• 2 weeks later...
I agree about the wind! Depending if your cruise was on a line that visited a private island, one in which must be tendered to, the wind may pose a problem with that. We have sailed around that time of year and have missed three private islands due to the wind (including Castaway Cay which docks). But I also agree with that at least its not snow and there are fun things to do onboard!

We have cruised twice in December now, once in 2005 and again last year. On the 2005 trip, we were chilly at port (Port canaveral) but were in bathing suits and perfect weather the next day. On our cruise last year (same cruise, different ship), we had a freezing cold wind the entire trip. I have pics of myself wrapped up in a towel by the pool for the set sail party. The wind was constant on the trip. We missed Coco Cay. First port I've ever missed and I was really disappointed because Coco Cay is always a great port. So.. to answer your question, you may have perfect weather, or you may be wrapped in a beach towel the entire trip. lol As the other posters have pointed out, it can still be a great trip even if the weather doesn't cooperate. I've never met a cruise I didn't like. ;)

The weather will be better in the Bahamas than it will in Maryland....that's for sure!!!

But, it may not be "hot"....

Personally, I'd rather spend the money when I KNOW it will be summer-like, if the temps are important to you. They are to me!

I guess I don't understand. We are sailing Freedom of Seas in first week of Feb, 2012.

Avg. temperatures for Coco Key Bahamas are high of 78 and low of 64....so it should be in the 70s if the averages are accurate...

which isn't hot, but definitely not cold either...

Archived