1st time for Regent cruise.....any advice/tips

maggieq

It's almost 2am and now I'm wishing for a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, a caesar salad and a lovely glass of Santa Margarita pinot.

Gotta love this cruise critic ;-)

I think that if you call room service they should be able to send it up right away!

No big plate of spaghetti at 2am for me ;-(

My DH and I are getting ready for our first Regent cruise and that means a little dieting now so I can eat everything I want on the trip.

Seriously, I think CC is a great place to get all kinds of hints about the cruises, cruise lines, ports and etc. Thank you to the OP and all the people that have taken the time to respond to this thread and all the rest.

Now I'm off to have my dry melba toast and black coffee while I dream of a delightful breakfast buffet (hope they have fresh croissants) and the sea breeze in my hair!

• 3 weeks later...

the Mariner dropped us off at Civitavvechia on the 24th and was starting a five-day charter for FedEx.

OP's question re what to expect on a Regent cruise and ensuing responses likely not quite accurate.

back to OP... what is life on a charter cruise like?

Thanks! That's my absolute favorite Pinot Grigio....

There goes Responder's position on white wines and Italy as stated by maggieq. Let the flogging begin in earnest. Several Italian wineries make fine Pinot Grigio's as their international awards and sales show and my taste buds agree. Until all the whites from all the wineries in Italy have been tasted, Responder's position is an easy one to challenge.

I enjoyed a Pinot Grigio from central Italy on my September crossing with Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It was an absolute delight. http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/ Jack Morris

There goes Responder's position on white wines and Italy as stated by maggieq. Let the flogging begin in earnest. Several Italian wineries make fine Pinot Grigio's as their international awards and sales show and my taste buds agree. Until all the whites from all the wineries in Italy have been tasted, Responder's position is an easy one to challenge.

I enjoyed a Pinot Grigio from central Italy on my September crossing with Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It was an absolute delight. http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/ Jack Morris

You make a good point! Just wondering how many Italian white (or red) wines you have to taste before finding one that agrees with your taste buds:confused: Actually, Regent may be a good place to try out different wines from a particular region. Perhaps the Italian wines are premium wines and we have yet to try them.

Overall, Regent is a terrific cruise line. The food is incredible and with the exception of being a little bored during the afternoons with not enough to do, I have cruised with them several times.

rallydave did hit on an important piece here though. If something goes wrong, the silence IS deafening. On my last cruise with Regent - August 2011 - I was injured due to the negligence of a tender driver. I sent an e-mail to Mark Conroy and recieved a message back stating that he was looking into it. Great - or so I thought. He fowarded it to Gair O'Neill, whom I had already spoken to, and they stated that my own insurance should pay for my doctor bills and physical therapy. So, I wrote another letter to Mr. Conroy and sent it snail mail. I told him - again - that I had already spoken to Gair. I felt that it was wrong that I didn't get an apology at the very least! To date, I have heard nothing, nor do I expect to. How hard is it to say, "We're sorry this happened to you?" It would have released some anger and disappointment about Regent.

You make a good point! Just wondering how many Italian white (or red) wines you have to taste before finding one that agrees with your taste buds:confused: Actually, Regent may be a good place to try out different wines from a particular region. Perhaps the Italian wines are premium wines and we have yet to try them.

Travelcat2 - Like all wine cellars and their wines, the search is always on for the best of the best. Italian wines have their range of best and bad like Chile, Napa, and South Australia. It is true that some areas of the world make better reds than whites, and whites better than reds. I have found the ongoing tasting in the hunt for that special red or white is a good part of the joy of drinking wine. Consideration must also be given to the status of our taste buds at the time of our drinking simply because how we feel and what we have consumed prior to the consumption can dictate whether or not we like the wine before us. Before I would write off all white wines from Italy I would like to attend a 'blind tasting' in which I have before me poured white wines from a variety of wineries in Europe and America. Chances are the Italian one might survive my narrowing down to the final glass. Then again, it might be the first one shoved aside. Jack Morris

Hi all, we are off on our first Regent cruise on May the 20th and are really looking forward to it, whilst we enjoy our wine, I also enjoy good old British bitter beer, I have been previously told that if I contacted Regent, then they may consider putting some on the cruise for me, I only like a couple per day normally with my feet up overlooking the stern, watching the wake and hopefully the sunset.

My question is to get a responce do I put the request onto the butler request section of the booking form (cant remember the correct name but I am sure you know what I mean), write to Regent (a name would be useful, and should it be to the UK or USA part of the company) or do I go throught my travel agent in the UK.

Also whilst on the wine subject do they have Chablis (preferably premier cru) available, if yes, does anyone know if it's a freebie or do you have to pay extra? We don't know our wines well, but if you find something you like can you keep asking for it, or do they just serve a wine of the day?

Regards

Marion & Kerry

Also whilst on the wine subject do they have Chablis (preferably premier cru) available, if yes, does anyone know if it's a freebie or do you have to pay extra? We don't know our wines well, but if you find something you like can you keep asking for it, or do they just serve a wine of the day?

Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards

Ralf

Ralf, don't know the answer to your question and i would also like to know it. You might be interested to know that a few of us have valiantly been trying to get a roll call started for this cruise so if you are interested in having a chat with fellow cruisers then go to the roll call section and I am sure you will find it. At the moment I am paying for the first round of drinks, if / when we meet.

Regards

Marion & Kerry

Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards

Ralf

With respect to a wine list, after you board find a wine steward and ask them to get you a list of the included wines for your trip. They will get a printed list and deliver it to your cabin.

From that list you can get any of the wines at any time in any venue. You don't have to accept the suggested wines offered each day.

On occasion you may have to make the request for the list more than once as it needs to be provided via the head sommelier.

@Responder: Thanks for the quick answer - I will try to do that.

@charltonkerry: Uups - I mixed things up - I'm cruising on the Mariner not on the Voyager on May 20th. But I think on your Vineyards & Vistas Cruise you will have the oportunity to try lots of different wines on your tours ... :)

With respect to a wine list, after you board find a wine steward and ask them to get you a list of the included wines for your trip. They will get a printed list and deliver it to your cabin.

From that list you can get any of the wines at any time in any venue. You don't have to accept the suggested wines offered each day.

On occasion you may have to make the request for the list more than once as it needs to be provided via the head sommelier.

Responder - I wish I had your pointer on requesting the wine list from the wine steward on my last trip in January. It would have made a great difference in my consuption. I will follow your advice in April when Navigator shoves off for a cruise of the sourthern areas of the east coast. Jack Morris

Regards

Ralf

Hi Ralf

I think you will find the variety of wines quite interesting. Given that Regent is US owned, I had expected the wines to be dominated by California varietals so you can imagine how surprised I was to be offered an Alsace Gewurz on our first evening - which we returned to more than once! Also found a spectacular Penfolds from Aus - admittedly on the premium list but at a bargain price! Can honestly say that you are sure to find something of interest.

Alan

Responder - I wish I had your pointer on requesting the wine list from the wine steward on my last trip in January. It would have made a great difference in my consuption. I will follow your advice in April when Navigator shoves off for a cruise of the sourthern areas of the east coast. Jack Morris

If Daniella is still the head sommelier, she will do it for you in a heartbeat...and it would be difficult to find a lovelier and knowledgeable wine person anywhere.

Hoping for a decent Argentinian Malbec on our upcoming Mariner voyage 20 November.

Wonder what are the chances......

Malbecs have been one of our favorite grapes. We even took a wine/food tour throught the entire Mendoza area.

They generally have one but what is decent for one is, etc.....

Since we will also be on that cruise and if one isn't available on the included list, we can coerce the sommelier to move one over from the premium list. They did this for us once before..

I don't know if it's still the same (probably not) but the wine list that I saved from Oct 2010 from Regent, for our Mariner cruise in Jan/11, gives you an idea of what they offer. We never had a problem getting any variety we wished for - Regent is spectacular in that regard. I'll attempt to attach it here.....

I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Regent Wine list.pdf

This is a typical pouring wine list for Regent....

REGENT SEVEN SEAS SAMPLE WINE LIST:

This is a sample of complimentary wines on board a Regent Seven Seas cruise ship.

For a current selection, please consult the onboard wine menu.

C O M P L I M E N T A R Y W H I T E W I N E S

HAYWOOD CHARDONNAY 2004 - Chardonnay

Tropical fruit that finish with a lingering hint of apples Sonoma

BRANCOTT VINEYARDS, Marlborough 2005 - Sauvignon Blanc

Gooseberry, citrus and passion fruit aromas and flavors New Zealand

POUILLY-FUISSÉ, Louis Jadot 2005 - Chardonnay

Crisp with a stylishly appealing lemon-scented nose. Burgundy, France

MACON VILLAGES ST. ARMAND 2004 - Chardonnay

Slightly buttery with ripe apply flavors and a delicate floral hint Burgundy, France

SANCERRE, Michel Redde et Fils, La Moynerie 2005 - Sauvignon Blanc

Intensely aromatic bouquet, vibrant fruit flavors and bone-dry crispness. Sur-Loire Valley, France

FUMÉ BLANC, Dry Creek 2004 - Sauvignon Blanc

Dry and full of brisk citrus flavors. Sonoma

PINOT GRIGIO AOC, Santa Margherita 2004 - Pinot Grigio

Delicately fruity bouquet and lightly refreshing acidity. Valdadige, Italy

MORANDE CHARDONNAY 2004 - Chardonnay

Tropical fruit that finish with a lingering hint of apples. Maipo Vall, Chile

C O M P L I M E N T A R Y R E D W I N E S

ST. SUPÉRY 2004 - Cabernet Sauvignon

With aromas of black currant and wisps of vanillin, flavorful hints of rich cassis and oak, and well integrated tannins for a complete and fulfilling wine. Napa Valley

SPY VALLEY 2003 - Pinot Noir

Cherry flavored taste with hints of raspberry and mango. Easy in the beginning this wine makes a powerful entrance and leaves with notes of spice and licorice. New Zealand

NIEBAUM-COPPOLA, DIAMOND SERIES CLARET 2003 - CLARET

Superb fruit structure and perfectly balanced tannins. California

KONUNGA HILLS 2004 - Cabernet Shiraz

With the pepper spice notes of the Shiraz complemented with rich blackberry. Australia

NAVARRO CORREAS 2004 - Malbec

Raspberry, spice and smoky aromas combine with ripe flavors of plum and cherry. Mendoza, Argentina

MONTES MERLOT 2004 - Merlot

Strong, spicy black pepper, full of harmony and soft to the palate. Colchagua Valley, Chile

CHÂTEAUNEUF DU PAPE 2005 - Grenache Syrah and Mourvedre

This is a rich, full-bodied wine with intense fruity flavors and lasting finish. Rhone Valley, France

Nanook21, thanks for posting the wine list, it looks like they have a fair selection to choose from, did that list include any that aren't free? Or would they be on a separate wine list.

I believe that was the complimentary wine list - at least we never had to purchase wines as we were always happy with what they offered - for myself, if it was a decent Chardonnay, I was satisfied. DH likes Cabs or Merlot, so we never had an issue. We never felt the need to order special wines, but would have been happy to do so, if necessary.

I forgot to add.....

At dinner each night the wine steward offers a pour from either the evening's selected white or red - but you don't have to accept that if you prefer something else. For example, I found that the white offered was often a Chablis or Sauv.Blanc, whereas I prefer a Chardonnay. There was never a problem, they just found me a Chard from their stocked complimentary white wine list. All wines were very decent, and I never had to purchase a specialty wine.

Archived