Question regarding Rum runners... Still worth it?

For the bladder of wine that you put in your suitcase, did you then keep it in the room fridge? I am thinking of doing the same thing. So glad I came across your post.

I take a soft sided 6-pack cooler with me and keep it in the shower (it sweats). I put the rr or bladder in the bottom of it and have the room steward cover it with ice every morning. Not only does it keep the wine chilled much better than the refrigerator (husband calls it "shade"), I have plenty of ice for in-cabin use.

Tucker in Texas

I take a soft sided 6-pack cooler with me and keep it in the shower (it sweats). I put the rr or bladder in the bottom of it and have the room steward cover it with ice every morning. Not only does it keep the wine chilled much better than the refrigerator (husband calls it "shade"), I have plenty of ice for in-cabin use.

Tucker in Texas

Awesome tip!!! I love having lots of ice in the cabin and that will help alot! :)

All of the rare accounts of them being "detected" and confiscated seem to be where they were packed with some other banned item that shows well on x-ray - either glass bottles or irons. If there is nothing else questionable in the bag and the RR is left a little less than full - so very blobby looking, like clothes - then there should be no reason it would be found.

On other hand I suspect for certain cruises (Spring Break time and certain routes) they may do a bit of hand searching and profiling (cabins with younger cruisers).

At ports we found that as long as there is no metal (like screw cap) and does not make bulge in clothing items in original container can be walked through the metal detector. Even small airline bottles with plastic caps worked fine in backpack through the x-ray.

Being careful to avoid the landmine known as "smuggling" :rolleyes:, I can tell you that we have actually started packing rumrunner flasks for our land trips. They don't take up much room, and are not as heavy or breakable as glass bottles. One downside, though. You can wash and re-use them, but they are very hard to dry -- particularly in a humid climate.

Heck I've used them on 4 cruises now with no problems... and the cruise line shouldn't worry, they've got plenty of my money on drinks as I just don't sit around the room drinking, in fact I only carry them so we may have a drink while getting ready to go out to dinner, shows, etc. I think on this last cruise our bar bill was near $400 (including a wine package)...don't judge...!!!!

• 2 years later...
This doesn't pertain to rum runners but last year on our Voyager cruise in the Med we carried back a bottle of lemoncello in Naples and a bottle of wine in Florence in my wife's backpack. We expected to get stopped with the x-ray but both times the bag ran through without them stopping us. She has a PacSafe backpack that has wire mesh woven throught the outside to prevent a slash and run, I wonder if that made a difference as at the couple in front of us in Naples was stopped. :confused:

We were on a Med/Greek Isles crusie last October. Security didn't hassle us at all bringing wine back on board we bought at the wineries. They were in our bags that were scanned thru security. I had heard they were more lenient in Europe.

I think even in Europe if you bring a case back on board or plop your bottles on the table, they will tag them and return them to you. We also saw that.

Hello,

We’re going on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the seas this coming April. We like to get some updated tips in reference to the Run Runners, any negative experience from anyone bringing this on a Royal Caribbean cruise ?? any tip will be helpful

Thanks

Ray

If you go check out here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Lots of information on RR's.

• 2 months later...