Getting to the right port in Istanbul?

rodjung

We leave Oct. 11th for our Insignia cruise out of Istanbul. According to the information provided by Oceania, the ship will dock at either the Salipazari Port or the Kakakoy Port.

They are totally different locations. How do we know which one to go to? We travel light so we may decide to use public transit rather than taking a taxi. Any suggestions?

We leave Oct. 11th for our Insignia cruise out of Istanbul. According to the information provided by Oceania, the ship will dock at either the Salipazari Port or the Kakakoy Port.

They are totally different locations. How do we know which one to go to? We travel light so we may decide to use public transit rather than taking a taxi. Any suggestions?

Depending upon the number of ships in port, most cruise lines will use Karakoy. (Note correct spelling).

Why haven't you (or your TA) simply called Oceania and asked for the correct docking information?

And for peace of mind, take a taxi! Public transportation for the newer arrivals can be challenging!!

If you are arriving the same day as the cruise look for the O rep at the airport and ask where to go

I believe O also gives a contact number for the rep for those in the port city but not using O transfer/hotels

Lyn

I would call right before leaving, as exact docking info has been known to change. We took a bus to the ship in Stockholm, and luckily looked out the window and saw Regatta at a totally different location than what was listed in the information we had received from Oceania -- and not that long before we left. Got off at the next step and walked back, not too happily.

Likewise, when we arrived in St. Petersburg on a Renaissance cruise there was a very last minute change of port. As a result we missed meeting up with our guide on that first day.

It worked out okay ... a crew member drove us to the Hermitage and we spent the whole day there. (Yes, we had our own visas.) Oh my aching feet ....

One other suggestion is to contact Oceania now and get information regarding the port agent. You can always call the agent at the last minute to make sure you are going to the right place.

Mura

Recently sailed on Marina out of Istanbul and all of the documents listed the two ports of Karakoy or Salipizar; while not far from each other (maybe 1/2 a mile to a mile apart), we drove in a taxi to the first port, did not find the ship there and then continued to the second port Salipizar (pardon my spelling) where the ship was docked. I would not suggest public transportation as port docks can be changed at the last minute and I would not want to be dragging my suitcases from one pier to another. Use a taxi they are not that expensive, but make sure you agree on a price before you get in. From the old town to the port it was about $25.00 US.

Paid $25? Not bad considering the ingrained tradition of Istanbul taxi drivers to get their passengers to, how should I say it, overpay.

The true, fair cost should be about $15, maybe $20 at the very most, but I doubt very many of us, including me, could get a driver to agree to that price.

We were probably on the same cruise as DocDesdin and had the same port confusion. We were staying at a hotel in Sultanhamet and asked the gentleman at the front desk to negotiate with the taxi driver for us. As we were driving to the pier, still not knowing which was the correct one, we could see three ships docked. The driver asked us "1,2 or 3?" Marina was docked between Crystal and, I think, a Princess ship so we said "2" and he took us right to the drop-off spot. We paid about $17.

We were on Marina out of Istanbul on Sept 19. Had the same problem and solved it by booking a private driver to pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the ship. He knew where to go, and it was very slick. Will do this ever after!

Mo

• 5 weeks later...

These ports are right next to each other, so you should not worry.

Hopefully, you are staying at least one night in Istanbul and will be able to see your ship from the high ground of the Sultanahmet area and thus know which port.

Ther taxi driver called by our wonderful hotel, the Sirkeci Konak, knew exactly which ships were in which port and the cost was less than $15. Depending on the port, you can use either the Tophane or Findlike tram stops from Sultanahmet if you prefer.

We're just off Marina (left the ship on the morning of November 2nd and returned home last night, November 4th). The info we had was that we were docking at the first port mentioned but we were really at Karakoy.

It really didn't matter ... the cabdrivers that we used (thieves all) knew exactly where we were docked!

Mura

Archived