Just looking for your opinions re: FOV

Pandot

Backstory: had a fluke (meaning it shouldn't have been open for public at that time) FOV booked for Sept 11, sister moved wedding, now have C1 booked for May 2012 on the summit.

Really interested in FOV. (Party too small - only 3). C1 afts sold out for now... FOV only has 1 out of 12 sold for the time being ( we are 7 months from sailing). I check every couple of weeks by calling celebrity.

Opinions or past experience - May cruise to Bermuda - are they likely to sell out? If not, when are they most likely to come up for public "consumption"? When they do open to the public, if they don't sell well, what is the expected price difference from c1s?

I do realize that none of these questions have real answers, I am just looking for past histories and opinions.

Thanks again, particularly Larry and Sue if you get a chance to answer, I know you have played this "game" before.

I was able to book one for 2 people 3 months prior to the cruise. You might want to find an agency (there are some, but I can't give names) that list cabin availability online. When you see one listed call your TA or Celebrity at once. Availability always depends on demand and you really can't predict, but I've been lucky a few times.

As you get a little closer - I suggest checking yourself - daily, unless you really trust your TA to stay on top of this. No telling when/if they will open up - and if they do, they will probably go quickly.

Having just sailed in a corner FOV it it worth the few minutes a day.

and increase the frequency of checking as final payment approaches. (Still 7 months out so we have a while).

I do trust my TA (my sister) but as this cruise is for her wedding, and the group is whole lot bigger than initially anticipated, she has a lot on her mind.

Thanks for the feedback to all.

Any other pointers or comments are still welcome :)

We've booked, for just us two, as far out as five months and as short as about two months. All were prior to final payment date.

A couple were changing an existing reservation. All of our experiences were either on a transatlantic or a roundtrip Hawaii. Don't know if any of this made a difference.

Warning!

Since the first time I was able to switch to a corner FV my wife won't settle for a regular veranda cabin.

Thanks for the input.

Happily (or unhappily) enough, cruising (or any other type of vacation for that matter) is not really a regular occurence for us anymore. This is family wedding, so by saving for over a year, we will be taking this vacation, probably our last for a long while.

If we do get spoiled, I don't have to worry about doing it again anytime soon :)

This will be our fourth time sailing on the Constellation and the third time i was able to book a FOV for just the two of us. Once time, an opening showed up on the Celebrity website 9 months in advance and my TA grabbed it for the two of us. Last year, I booked one about 4 months out and this year, I booked it five months in advance. Each time, I found the opening on the Celebrity website. Keep looking......also, the fare is cheaper than Concierge.

Thanks for the input.

Happily (or unhappily) enough, cruising (or any other type of vacation for that matter) is not really a regular occurence for us anymore. This is family wedding, so by saving for over a year, we will be taking this vacation, probably our last for a long while.

If we do get spoiled, I don't have to worry about doing it again anytime soon :)

Hopefully, you sister is together enough to book at a group rate....and nice enough to pass on the saving of a free passenger ticket for every 14 or 15 people booked in your group on to you who are attending the wedding. One might wonder if maybe she would also pass on her commissions to all of you as well...which would be very nice and keep the trip affordable for those who are a bit stretched these days.

There is a very old and very wise adage....never do business with a family member or good friend.

Archived