Question about getting off the boat in Venice

skiladyldp

Hello this is my first cruise and therefore ignorant of lots of things. Our ship will dock in Venice and we plan to keep our luggage with us when we leave the ship because we are booking a night at a hotel there. My questions is, how do we get to the hotel? Do we take a water taxi? I have not made the hotel reservation but it will be in the St. Marks area. Thanks for any information.

Hello this is my first cruise and therefore ignorant of lots of things. Our ship will dock in Venice and we plan to keep our luggage with us when we leave the ship because we are booking a night at a hotel there. My questions is, how do we get to the hotel? Do we take a water taxi? I have not made the hotel reservation but it will be in the St. Marks area. Thanks for any information.

I'm wondering what you mean by "planning to keep our luggage with us".

You'll need to leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening of the last night of the cruise, so that it can be screened by Italian Customs.

You exit the ship with your hand luggage, and then claim the major pieces, prior to exiting the Customs area. It is very much like claiming your luggage after a flight, except that there is no carousel involved.

Advice on the best way to travel to your hotel, is complicated, because much depends on how much luggage you have and how spry you are. I'd suggest that you seek the advice of the Concierge on the ship.

I suppose that Oceania would have no way of forcing you to put the luggage out, but I just don't see any advantage in refusing.

It's not as if you won't have to pass through all of the screened luggage, in order to leave the port, anyway, and refusing to have your luggage pre-screened would only ring bells with the local customs people.

You would virtually be inviting them to go through your bags at the customs desk in the terminal. :eek:

Another aspect: There will be Porters availailable to help you with the luggage, in the Customs area, which there won't be on the ship.

Ok it is making sense now why you don't carry luggage off yourself. I would have thought that when you got off the plane in Italy that you went through customs.

Yes, you will need to go through customs when you arrive in Italy, and again at the end of your cruise, because the ship will have sailed outside of Italian waters during its' voyage.

As you leave the customs hall, there will be a desk where an agent is arranging water taxis. You can almost certainly find others to share with to cut the cost (about 100 euros) per taxi. They hold 6-8 people.

The other alternative to St. mark's is the Alilaguna Blue line water bus. alilaguna is a private water bus co distinct from the actv public system. Tickets are available at the dock. The boats leave for St. mark's every 30 mins. and take about 25 mins.

http://www.alilaguna.it

Great info here http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

When we stay nover in Venice (many times,) I stay at a hotel that has a water taxi dock so I do not have to touch my luggage. We always have a lot of luggage and I dont want to have to wheel it to a hotel.

Jancruz1

In addition to how much luggage you have an which hotel you end up booking, the other question would be where to do you dock? The R ships are often at San Basilio and if you can handle your luggage yourself, the 82 vaporetto has a stop right near there. It's only a few stops to the San Marco area from there. You would have one bridge to cross over to get to the vaporetto stop.

In addition to how much luggage you have an which hotel you end up booking, the other question would be where to do you dock? The R ships are often at San Basilio and if you can handle your luggage yourself, the 82 vaporetto has a stop right near there. It's only a few stops to the San Marco area from there. You would have one bridge to cross over to get to the vaporetto stop.

And remember, no matter how short the walk the surface of the sidewalks in Venice is uneven at best!;)

And remember, no matter how short the walk the surface of the sidewalks in Venice is uneven at best!;)

Not to mention getting onto and off of the water taxis :p

Although exquisitely charming, they are still small wooden boats.

DSC_1115%20Venice%20Taxi%20600x400.jpg

In looking for a hotel in Rome today, I came across the 3 star we stayed at in Venice the Metropole. Great location, took a water taxi to their dock..and we happened to realize we left a piece of Muano glass there when we left..I got home emailed them and they sent it right to our home..I highly suggest this hotel!

Jancruz1

I must say that of all our disembarkations, Venice was among the most cumbersome but our overnight stay there was so worth it.

We booked a bed & breakfast (the one featured in the Katharine Hepburn movie, Summertime) in the Accademia area & absolutely LOVED it, PLUS the water taxi driver gave us a tip on a great restaurant in the St Bartholomew area. In the course of dining there we met an American expat who arranged for a special dessert & a musical serenade. I wish we had stayed there for many more nights than we did as it was magical.

In Venice I asked our local guide what books she would recommend about the city -- & asked specifically about The City of Falling Angels. She made a face about that book, but said that Venetians very much like Donna Leon's books about Inspector Brunetti. Since then I've read them all & look forward to each new episode. Enjoy!

I do not know if it was mentioned but if you have heavy luggage or prefer not to to manhandle it you may consider a cab to Piazzale Roma (Cost me 15 euro) and then drop off most of the luggage in the left luggage office. One can then buy a one day (or more) vaporreto pass and then procedd at your ease along the grand canal to almost anywhere.

Archived