Don't Need ChoiceAir credits, would like another perk!

geocruiser

I don't need ChoiceAir credits to get to a Azamara cruise leaving from Miami (and that is the only cruise I would take). So, I don't receive any discount or OBC for not usingChoiceAir credits. Azamara, do you plan to credit the PAX with something who don't use ChoiceAir credits?

I don't need ChoiceAir credits to get to a Azamara cruise leaving from Miami (and that is the only cruise I would take). So, I don't receive any discount or OBC for not usingChoiceAir credits. Azamara, do you plan to credit the PAX with something who don't use ChoiceAir credits?

I was waiting to see this post. So far Azamara has absolutely refused any credit in lieu of the Choice Air credits and it has caused much frustration and hassle for us. In our case, over a year ago, Choice Air was new at Azamara, we were not told about it even though the code for the promotion was placed on our booking (actually two bookings which were booked direct through the cruise line), AND air could not even be booked on the Azamara website. One had to know to go to the Celebrity website and input their Azamara booking code to search and pay for air.

Once I purchased a non-refundable flight I could never cancel it to book through the Choice Air portal to get what was originally a $1,000.00 per person Cruise Credit. So, we started off with a $2,000.00 issue and only lowered the gap because we could cancel my DH's flight, which was booked through FFmiles, redeposit those miles, and book him through Choice Air (another hassle because we have different last names and now different booking codes for our flights). The gap was lessened further when we switched itineraries and the new one only has a $500.00 per person credit, (another story/issue because the rep "made a mistake" and mis-priced our new itinerary which only came out after our air/booking was switched), so my DH's cruise fare is $500.00 more than mine. We have had multiple problems, all caused by this Choice Air promotion, that were never fully resolved.

But, with Choice Air credits on the Miami sailings, Azamara will finally receive more feedback/complaints from guests who live in Florida and do not need air, so finally perhaps they will rethink this promotion.

If I recall this year on the Miami sailings Choice Air was never offered but the promotion for many in the US was $1,000.00 OBC and "Drinks on Us", and further many were able to combine promos and actually had $1,500.00 OBC.

Hopefully, Azamara will finally evaluate this Choice Air promotion and offer perhaps partial credit for those who book their own flights (or no flights).

I too am stuck with a "free $1000 choice air" perk that is not of any value to me.

I am leaving Canada for Hong Kong, and the flight they wanted me to take went Toronto, New York, Hong Kong. Too much flying time, too many transfers, and I had to leave a day earlier to make up the time difference to arrive in Hong Kong the day I wish.

I booked a flight Toronto, Chicago, Hong Kong, and a direct flight home.

Also, I was not flying in the correct time frame, I am leaving 5 days prior to my cruise, and not coming home for 3 weeks after the end of the cruise.

They can give you anything for free, if they know you cannot use it.

Nanwel:(

I was told there is no credit for not using Choice Air.

I too am stuck with a "free $1000 choice air" perk that is not of any value to me.

I am leaving Canada for Hong Kong, and the flight they wanted me to take went Toronto, New York, Hong Kong. Too much flying time, too many transfers, and I had to leave a day earlier to make up the time difference to arrive in Hong Kong the day I wish.

I booked a flight Toronto, Chicago, Hong Kong, and a direct flight home.

Also, I was not flying in the correct time frame, I am leaving 5 days prior to my cruise, and not coming home for 3 weeks after the end of the cruise.

They can give you anything for free, if they know you cannot use it.

Nanwel:(

I was told there is no credit for not using Choice Air.

With Choice Air you pick your flights. It is not the cruise line dictating which flights you can use (or it is not suppose to be). Did you actually navigate the site on your own and look at your options? As far as I know you can fly in 5 days early and leave 3 weeks post cruise. You also decide what you will pay for your flights.

The ChoiceAir credits are included in the price of the cruise fare since Azamara does not own the air lines. Azmara has to pay something to the air lines to cover the PAX not paying the air lines's full bill.

Therefore, I feel that for me to take another Azamara Cruise I would need to have either a discount equal to Choice Air Credits. I say discount, because that is what other PAX are getting who use Choice Air Credits.

Jade13,

Are you still booking Azamara after all you went through with choice air? You are right about the $1,500 OBC that was given. We had that on our Azmamara cruise this year.

I thought the Choice Air credit was to offset the price of air that people had to purchase to get to the port. If you don't have to purchase air, then I can't see how the credit would apply. It would probably cost us more than the credit to get to the port. I would love to live in Florida:D

I thought the Choice Air credit was to offset the price of air that people had to purchase to get to the port. If you don't have to purchase air, then I can't see how the credit would apply. It would probably cost us more than the credit to get to the port. I would love to live in Florida:D

Well, than you do not understand the promotion, and many do not.

The Choice Air credit is just a marketing strategy. Once you purchase air the discount is taken off of your cruise fare. It is NOT taken off of the air which has to be paid at the time of purchase (in most cases). It has been a way for Azamara to keep their fares high (on-line anyway) and than discount them but in a round about way. Over a year ago someone posted (maybe it was a link to an article) that Azamara's target audience was middle aged working people (not retirees) with a household income of $300K. This group would be able to see through this marketing strategy.

Another way of keeping the fares high is offering OBC instead of discounting the fares. That can backfire if the amount is so high that passengers are trying to figure out how to spend it. Not everyone wants to go to the Spa (my DH sure does not), but mainly than issues with pax who can't use the OBC to pay for shore excursions because they have to be pre-booked and paid to get the 50% off.

The situation for those in the UK is worse in my opinion since a package with air, hotels and transfers seems to be pretty standard.

We just want a reasonable and fair cruise fare (and yes profitable for the cruise line), and we can work out the air, hotels, and transfers on our own. We do like the discounted shore excursions, but we are finding this promotion to be a problem as well since 6 out of our 9 booked excursions on our upcoming cruise do not currently have enough people to run, and many will likely be canceled. Weeks before our cruise we find ourselves scrambling to out together some private excursions and we should not have all of these problems weeks before our vacation.

Well, than you do not understand the promotion, and many do not.

The Choice Air credit is just a marketing strategy. Once you purchase air the discount is taken off of your cruise fare. It is NOT taken off of the air which has to be paid at the time of purchase (in most cases). It has been a way for Azamara to keep their fares high (on-line anyway) and than discount them but in a round about way. Over a year ago someone posted (maybe it was a link to an article) that Azamara's target audience was middle aged working people (not retirees) with a household income of $300K. This group would be able to see through this marketing strategy.

Another way of keeping the fares high is offering OBC instead of discounting the fares. That can backfire if the amount is so high that passengers are trying to figure out how to spend it. Not everyone wants to go to the Spa (my DH sure does not), but mainly than issues with pax who can't use the OBC to pay for shore excursions because they have to be pre-booked and paid to get the 50% off.

The situation for those in the UK is worse in my opinion since a package with air, hotels and transfers seems to be pretty standard.

We just want a reasonable and fair cruise fare (and yes profitable for the cruise line), and we can work out the air, hotels, and transfers on our own. We do like the discounted shore excursions, but we are finding this promotion to be a problem as well since 6 out of our 9 booked excursions on our upcoming cruise do not currently have enough people to run, and many will likely be canceled. Weeks before our cruise we find ourselves scrambling to out together some private excursions and we should not have all of these problems weeks before our vacation.

I agree!

Totally agree that getting an OBC or something else in lieu of Choice air would be rather nice. Especially since in my case the Choice Air promotion was announced after I had booked my air.

Well at least the 50% off excursions does apply...

"Marketing Strategy" or not, it does bring my cruise expense more in line with people who do not have to fly to the port and would make it more appealing for us to choose Azamara. It doesn't matter to me whether I pay my air now or later, I still have to pay it. Bottom line, I am not getting a cheaper cruise than someone who doesn't need air. The offer is for Choice Air, and if you decide not to use it, why would you think that if you book your own air they should give you the credit:confused: I'm not trying to upset anyone, I guess I am just not understanding.

I have no problem with the $1000 per cabin credit after using Choice Air but, if you read the small print it is only from specific gateways. We have to fly to one of those cities (the closest does not show any available flights).

I phoned Choice Air and they told me I had to get to the gateway to get the credit - again a problem, the cost becomes much higher to not only break the trip into different segments but the logistics of using different airlines and getting same day connecting flights are not easy (this is a departure from Miami and return from San Juan).

I was hoping they would book the whole trip, I would pay the difference (their leg of the trip is less money than the connector) and get our full $1000 credit. Not the case - apparently the credit is available if I only book the gateway flight, with them. The full value of the tickets is almost $2000 for two of us.

Did I just get an agent who was unwilling to spend some time on this booking?

We have not booked yet as I hate to give up that $1000 bonus. We will book but -

We also had the $1000 (plus a 350 OBC) shipboard credit on our last Azamara cruise - I thought it was a foolish way of doing things - people were buying things in the gift shops the last day Just to use up the credit - it was a free for all.

It is very difficult to spend that amount of money on Azamara due to the inclusions. We left a balance but had several people comment how foolish we were.

"Marketing Strategy" or not, it does bring my cruise expense more in line with people who do not have to fly to the port and would make it more appealing for us to choose Azamara. It doesn't matter to me whether I pay my air now or later, I still have to pay it. Bottom line, I am not getting a cheaper cruise than someone who doesn't need air. The offer is for Choice Air, and if you decide not to use it, why would you think that if you book your own air they should give you the credit:confused: I'm not trying to upset anyone, I guess I am just not understanding.

No you are not. Those who use Choice Air are in fact getting a cheaper CRUISE FARE. Azamara doesn't even hide the fact that monies come off of the cruise fare. I only have to look at our invoice to know since we have one of us with Choice Air and one without (again because we did not know about Choice Air at the time the one non-refundable ticket was purchased). My cruise fare is more expensive tham my DH's cruise fare.

No you are not. Those who use Choice Air are in fact getting a cheaper CRUISE FARE. Azamara doesn't even hide the fact that monies come off of the cruise fare. I only have to look at our invoice to know since we have one of us with Choice Air and one without (again because we did not know about Choice Air at the time the one non-refundable ticket was purchased). My cruise fare is more expensive tham my DH's cruise fare.

Once again I agree with you. In my case until Azamara either gives me credit and/or pays for my cost to get to the ship, I will not be cruising with them. I am not paying a higher cruise rate to let Azamara give Choice Air Credit to others. Azamara is not the onty cruise line in the ocean!

But that is the only way to deliver the credit! When you book your flights it is the same as through Expedia or directly with the airlines etc and you have to pay at the time of booking. You book the flights not Azamara. So the only way to apply the credit is to reduce your cruise fare. Either way it works for me - give me the $1000 to apply against my air (which they can't do - what if I book 9 months out?) or take it off the cruise. I'll take that over an OBC anytime. The bottom line is the same and my out of pocket expenses would approximately be the same as someone near a cruise port in FL.

I am buying a cruise. I should pay the same as others. The cruise is the cruise. Not plane, bus or train fare to get there. The cruise rate should be about the same for all. Azamara can do what they want, they just will not have me back. I sure some one else will take my cabin and the cabins of all the other people who feel the same way.

I am happy that it helps you take a cruise. I just don't want to be paying for others air fare by paying full price for a cruise.

I found the online did not come up with an answer for the flight info. It suggested I call for information.

The rep was very short with me, and had a this is what is available, take it or leave it attitude - I left it - better off booking myself, and getting a flight, and hotel at much better rates, able to my own plans. Felt the $1000, was only a perk if you live in the US.

The ChoiceAir credits are included in the price of the cruise fare since Azamara does not own the air lines. Azmara has to pay something to the air lines to cover the PAX not paying the air lines's full bill.

Therefore, I feel that for me to take another Azamara Cruise I would need to have either a discount equal to Choice Air Credits. I say discount, because that is what other PAX are getting who use Choice Air Credits.

The PAX pays the full fare to the airlines, lots of times the same as on the airlines own website and it is not "topped up by Azamara". I guess if Azamara sent a cheque to me (to apply against our flight cost) for the credit and I paid the full cruise fare (same as you) that would be OK. Even though, just as on a plane, you probably paid more or less than someone sitting next to you (or in the next cabin on a ship) Just the way I look at it I guess - since I would still probably pay more to take the same cruise than you do even after the credit, considering the distances involved and hotels/meals etc on both ends of the flights. Just put my comments down to my envy of people who can easily cruise without major logistic/cost/stress problems.

I think we see things differently so no need for me to comment further.

Cheers

The PAX pays the full fare to the airlines, lots of times the same as on the airlines own website and it is not "topped up by Azamara". I guess if Azamara sent a cheque to me (to apply against our flight cost) for the credit and I paid the full cruise fare (same as you) that would be OK. Even though, just as on a plane, you probably paid more or less than someone sitting next to you (or in the next cabin on a ship) Just the way I look at it I guess - since I would still probably pay more to take the same cruise than you do even after the credit, considering the distances involved and hotels/meals etc on both ends of the flights. Just put my comments down to my envy of people who can easily cruise without major logistic/cost/stress problems.

I think we see things differently so no need for me to comment further.

Cheers

You are right we see things differently. I enjoyed getting to know your point of view. I hope you enjoy your next cruise. We are all very luck to be able to cruise.

Choice Air has another advantage for Azamara. Once you have booked your air you are more likely to travel. This is the case with myself.

Whenever I find a good itinerary I book it - almost like a placecard. Sometimes it means I lose a little money with cancellation charges or currency conversions but so be it. However, once I book air I am totally committed to travel as the cancellation charges are onerous. Thus for Azamara if 50% of the passengers have booked using Choice Air they are pretty confident that the ship will be at least 50% full.

I think Azamara has to reward early bookings with some sort of bonus - maybe an option $500 off Air using Choice air or an OBC or something like that. There is otherwise no incentive to book early if the later birds get the worm!

Choice Air has another advantage for Azamara. Once you have booked your air you are more likely to travel. This is the case with myself.

Whenever I find a good itinerary I book it - almost like a placecard. Sometimes it means I lose a little money with cancellation charges or currency conversions but so be it. However, once I book air I am totally committed to travel as the cancellation charges are onerous. Thus for Azamara if 50% of the passengers have booked using Choice Air they are pretty confident that the ship will be at least 50% full.

I think Azamara has to reward early bookings with some sort of bonus - maybe an option $500 off Air using Choice air or an OBC or something like that. There is otherwise no incentive to book early if the later birds get the worm!

I think Azamara should offer either money off or OBC instead of Choice air to all. Then I would cruise again with them.

Emdee, I agree with you a 100%. I figured out this strategy a long time ago, but wasn't going to keep reminding them. In our case once we booked our air (not through Azamara) we were also committed since it was non-refundable, but Choice Air is better for Azamara instead of Cruise Air (that can be canceled before final payment). Also, originally, if you canceled the cruise you also lost your air (unless it was expensive refundable business or first class), but apparently that has changed.

Azamara was offering an early booking incentive (last year anyway) of $500.00 OBC for most itineraries booked before (I believe) December 31, 2010. The problem was (1) folks like "Meow!" who booked when the 2011 itineraries came out were refused that OBC that came out just weeks later, and than (2) others like us (who did get someone in Miami to extend us the OBC) had it taken away in order get the lowered fare (which was offered to everyone when the rates changed BEFORE final payment). So, the end result is that we had the same deal as everyone else (no problem with us), but we lost the $500.00 OBC which we considered an early booking bonus.

If there is an early booking incentive, it should be just that and stay on the reservation even if the cruise fare is lowered (in our case it was lowered for all once Egypt was canceled).

I also agree that the Choice Air bonus is unfair - I do not need and can not use the choice air credits - Actually when I looked at my airport, choice air said their are no flights available which was in fact incorrect - I have booked airfare on my own for my cruise next August- I still need to fly from Manchester, NH to Venice Italy - Why can't I just get credited for the choice air credit?

I also agree that there is no incentive to book early - actually looking at past trends, booking 3 weeks before an Azamara cruise guarantees the cheapest rates - Some of the Europe cruises this year were dirt cheap if you waited.

I keep getting these great offers from Oceania - forget the fact that I have never received ANY Azamara mailings after 3 cruises - It would be nice for some kind of discounts from Azamara !

I just checked the price of almost the same cruise for 2013. The only change is that one port is different and it leaves two days later. This is without taxes. The cost for the same cat. cabin is $3,999PP. This year our cruise was $2,699. That is $1,300 more PP for about the same cruise. For two of us that is $2,600 more. than Feb/March of THIS year. Hence, the price of Choice Air is added on. I would NEVER pay that for this cruise.

We had planned to book a cruise for January 2013, and were also waiting to see if a promotion came up, but none did. We booked onboard, and received a $400 credit for our veranda cabin. We will not be using ChoiceAir for this cruise as we did on our 9/2011 cruise as we have miles.

I do have to say that both of our September 2011 cruises (we did a back to back) NEVER came down in price (at least for those of us in the US)and, in fact, both were sold out. I'm happy I didn't wait!

I think the sticker shock those of us felt who had sailed at the long-gone cheaper rates is NOT felt by PAX who book now. IMHO, Azamara is still the best deal at sea.

Archived