Review - Sep 24th - Venice to Rome via Croatia & Montenegro on the Quest

zennor

As mentioned in my other thread on the Venice Hotel fiasco our initial impression of Azamara wasn't too good and we arrived at the Check-In rather stressed. I think I got quite cross when I was sent away to fill a form in & didn't have a pen! It was very hot and there was a bit of a walk to the ship but once we walked up those steps, everything changed. We were greeted with champagne and genuine smiles. We had intended to dump our hand luggage and go back out straightaway into Venice but the buffet was already open (it was about 12 noon), we thought we may as well go along instead of searching for another expensive pizza. Lunch was lovely including Mahi Mahi, a favourite of mine, and of course the complimentary wine! By the time we had finished our rooms were ready.

After another trip into Venice we had the sailaway on deck with more champagne followed by the Meet & Mingle with canapes.. and Yes, more champagne! The CD was there and was generally keen that any feedback should be passed on during the cruise. There was even a feedback form to complete partway through the week and someone came to talk to me and understand what I meant (about wanting tea making facilities!)

I was slightly surprised by the decor of the ship as it was more decorative and ornate than I was expecting, not really my style, and the wonderful modern art on the walls did look out of place but we got used to it. The size of the actual cabins (we had a veranda one - 7010 - at the front, port side chosen to see the Adriatic coast & chat to the Captain on the bridge!) was fine and there was plenty of storage space. Yes, the bathrooms are tiny but the Elemis toiletries are good (100ml bottles topped up each day), good quality towels and face cloths, washing line etc. The storage space in the bathroom cupboard and under the sink was adequate. Not exactly a luxury bathroom but OK! The only thing that was missing when we arrived were slippers and this is where the difference in service to Celebrity showed. When we sailed Celebrity in May, we were Aqua Class and entitled to various amenities including robes, slippers, tote bag etc. & all were missing. Guest Relations didn't know what we should have and it took quite a while to sort things out with no apology. This time the slippers appeared that evening and Edwin our wonderful, smiling steward (who recognised us and learned our names so quickly) kept apologising and telling me that he hadn't been supplied with any earlier. Whenever we went to breakfast or dinner, we put up the 'Please Make Up room' sign so that our room would be done whilst we were out and we never returned to a room with an unmade bed which happens so often with hotels - such excellent, efficient service.

The veranda was a little small with 2 upright chairs and a table. I needed to use a cushion as I have a bad back. I know there isn't room for 2 full-size loungers but reclinable seats with a padded cover would be more comfortable.

The only thing that we missed in our room, compared to previous cruises from the UK, is tea making facilities. So often we returned to our room in the afternoon and just wanted a cup of tea on the balcony! I know you can order room service or pre-order tea or savories at a specific time but we don't want to be that organised. We were told that this was for 'safety issues' but they are there on Celebrity Eclipse. Also on the Eclipse it was easier to get your own hot drink along with cookies or small savories as there was an area in the buffet next to the self-service drink machines with small snacks to help yourself. There are the machines on Azamara but you have to go to the Mosaic cafe to ask for cookies/savories if you want them. There are also no take-away cups with lids by the machines. And the quality of the tea bags was not good with no decaf tea either. Next time we'll bring our own English tea bags - we like it strong! We soon resolved our need for an early morning cup of tea by ordering a 'breakfast' of orange juice (fresh!) & tea at 7am & then going along to breakfast at the Windows Cafe buffet restaurant - outside at the front was lovely in the mornings.

In the evenings we mainly ate at Discoveries choosing the lighter starters & healthy options or fish. We'd originally thought of trying Aqualina but we were very happy in Discoveries. We normally ate quite late, sometimes on a group table or often as a two but we still chatted to the couples next to us. If we wanted a table for two, we'd wait in the Discoveries Lounge and have a cocktail. There were always 2 or 3 cocktails of the day for 5$ and it was fun trying different ones although for some reason, those cocktails were not promoted in that bar and the waitress didn't always know what they were. In the Looking Glass Bar (great Latin disco one night!), they actually had them listed on a card with their contents. I'm not sure if that was deliberate or just an oversight in Discoveries?

We did try the deck BBQ (White Nights party) as we thought that there'd be some good quality grilled meat but we found it rather disappointing. It was very busy and chaotic with no free tables at 8pm so we shared with a lovely family of ladies from Chile and practiced our Spanish. But they were on desserts and we were just starting & getting served with wine was hard work. Next time we'll arrive much earlier or eat elsewhere before the deck party.

We also went to a Wine Paring meal in Prime C but in retrospect it wasn't right for us as it took ages! The meal started at 7 & didn't finish until well past 11 so that we missed the only show we wanted to see with Russ the CD and even more disappointing the eruption of Stromboli volcano (DH was very upset about missing that) - a shame that the restaurant staff didn't tell us it was going on as apparently it was spectacular. The food was good but each course was preceded by a very long explanation about each choice of wine.

We also had lunch at the Pool Grill. The first time was on a Port day so it wasn't too busy and the tuna wrap plus salad bar was excellent. The next day was a sea day - the first that they had had for weeks and it was chaos. We sat at a table waiting to be served whilst there was a long queue of people waiting to take food to their loungers. We were served one wrap - which was overcooked & cold - followed by a wait & reminder for the second - not so good this time. The policy of eating & drinking by the pool was very confusing. There's a notice up saying no glass or food in the 'Pool Area' but the cold drinks machine only has glasses whereas the bar serves plastic. I served myself a cold drink in a glass & took it to my lounger but the waitress wanted to pour it on to one of the plastic ones. There are no tables by the loungers for drinks or food but people, quite understandably, were eating there & waiters were taking food to the loungers on request. It would be a lot easier if Azamara just accepted that people do want to drink & eat at the loungers & provide plastic cups by the drinks machines & serve the food there - they did on Celebrity.

As we'd already been on Celebrity we were members of the loyalty club and the 89 mins each of internet time was very useful. The lady looking after eConnections was very good and extremely patient setting up loads of Ipads with Wifi and my laptop still running on Win XP! We were also able to check-in online for our flight home & print off boarding passes (the printer is free but you need to use a terminal and not wifi).

I noticed that at the next level you also get a free bag of laundry. If a laundry package had been available (as you get for drinks & internet), I would have paid for a bag. Otherwise you have to pay per item. The self-service laundrette is way too small with only 4 machines. We only managed to do one wash when we came back early on a port day. We didn't even attempt it on the sea day.

I could provide loads more detail but none of it does justice to the overall friendly feel of the ship and high level of service - nothing is too much trouble for the staff and everything is done with a smile. We are both in our early 50s and having tried Fred Olsen (very British, very 'nice' but awful food) and Celebrity (very glitzy, but more like a large impersonal hotel), Azamara felt just right for us. We felt right at home age-wise with plenty of people younger and older than us. I was expecting most guests to be from the US but there was a much broader international mix with guests from the US, UK, South America, Canada, Australia, South Africa and others. With the relaxed dining options it was easy to be as sociable as you liked.

I will post this review to the CC main site and add the port reviews there but basically we did a mixture of DIY tours, one cruise excursion in Sicily and an excellent private tour in Rome. The whole week was pretty port intensive so that we returned to the ship at lunch time when in Kotor for a rest and were really pleased with a Sea day. I think visiting a port every day would have been pretty hard going. There were several people onboard who had already visited some of the ports & now I know why as that would make it much more relaxing when you don't feel you have to see everything. Next time, we'll try 2 weeks! ;)

Zennor, thanks for your review. I did my first Azamara cruise a couple of weeks ago and can relate to much of what you said. I really liked the size and atmosphere having been on Celebrity quite a few times. Not as glitzy, fewer ship areas to explore, but better food and a quieter feel.

I'm glad you managed to leave your initial troubles behind and enjoy the cruise.

Phil

Hi Zennor,

Thanks for your excellent review !

I wish I had a dollar for every review I've read, about a negative pre-cruise experience, which essentially ruined the Cruise for the Guest. I'm very pleased that you were able to set the issues aside, and have a great time on Quest.

Welcome Home !

I wish I had a dollar for every review I've read, about a negative pre-cruise experience, which essentially ruined the Cruise for the Guest. I'm very pleased that you were able to set the issues aside, and have a great time on Quest.

Andy, having read Zennor's separate post I don't think I've read many like this and certainly not a run of the mill type experience. The OP did well to overcome it, but then the ships tries so hard.

Phil

Andy, having read Zennor's separate post I don't think I've read many like this and certainly not a run of the mill type experience. The OP did well to overcome it, but then the ships tries so hard.

Phil

That's true Phil, and while this probably involved an outside vendor, I hope that Azamara will look into what Zennor and others experienced. I'm certain the onboard Crew had nothing to do with the pre-cruise experience. It's awesome that Zennor was able to put it aside and have a great time onboard. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

Hello Zennor -

I truly appreciate your thorough and balanced review of your onboard experience on the Azamara Quest and I have passed on your comments about the inconsistencies in food service at the Pool Grill.

It seems that the way in which our officers, staff and crew worked together to make your onboard experience so satisfying was the best antidote for your pre-cruise disappointments.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for hopefully 2 weeks!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Archived