QM2 Hosted Tables

Little London

What are the 'hosted tables' that I have read about on QM2. We have sailed mostly with Celebrity before and I have never come across these, except The Captains Table. We will be travelling West Bound Transatlantic in Princess Grill if that helps. Thanks.

What are the 'hosted tables' that I have read about on QM2. We have sailed mostly with Celebrity before and I have never come across these, except The Captains Table. We will be travelling West Bound Transatlantic in Princess Grill if that helps. Thanks.

The hosted tables are in the Britannia Restaurant. It's the luck of the draw as to whether you get an invite or not.

Hi

Certain tables are "hosted" by senior officers, just as the Commodore or Captain "hosts" his table.

I may be wrong (and will be corrected I'm sure :D ) but as I understand it, tables are USUALLY "hosted" in the Britannia Restaurant (Late Sitting) on "Formal Nights" only.

I was very lucky in 2007, on a Caribbean Cruise on QM2, to receive an invitation to be seated at a "hosted" table for the entire voyage. Each formal night a different officer "hosted". They paid for the wine and entertained us all (at a table for nine) with great stories. After dinner one evening, during late conversation over desert wine, with the Staff Captain as host, one or two of us present were invited to the Senior Officer's Cocktail Party (on my third Cunard voyage!) later in the cruise, and for a private Bridge Tour on the last sea day. Both occasons providing many wonderful memories to take home with me.

Hope this helps (there are some of the pictures taken on the Bridge of QM2, amongst many others, via the link below). Bon Voyage!

Does your choice of seating affect your chances of being invited to dine at a hosted table? That is, might you be invited to dine at a hosted table (second seating) if your dining option is otherwise first seating?

It can. Depends who is available for hosting duties. Normally, first seaters stay at first seating and seconds at second.

Hosted tables are always on late sitting. More often than not Snr Officers are busy with other duties, for example early evening cocktail parties etc.

Invitations are sent out to a mix of guests, early/late sittings, Club or grill guests.

There is no discrimination.

Bell Boy:)

That's what I had hoped and it's consitent with what I've seen. One of our tablemates got an invitation on our last cruise but they were unable to attend - they were given a bottle of wine for all of us to share at our regular table.

The tables are hosted in Britannia on formal nights, second sitting by the Captain, the hotel manager, the medical staff, the staff captain and the engineering staff.

There are different hosting protocols. The Captain invites different guests each hosted evening whereas the other hosted tables are often fixed in that the same guests dine at the table every night. It depends on the officer's preference.

On a November cruise last year I dined at the medical staff's table which was hosted one night by the doctor, another night by the head nurse, etc. The guests were the same every night. In January the hotel manager's table at which I sat was hosted by the hotel manager a few times, the chief purser and guest services director. On each of these cruises I was fortunate also to receive an invitation to dine one evening at the Captain's table (Paul Wright). I believe the world club staff offers suggestions to the Captain's secretary in sending out invitations to dine at his table.

I believe the hosted tables are a unique feature on Cunard ships which sets them apart in this regard. I hope that this tradition continues.

On P&O ships tables are hosted both first and second sitting. The Officers do not dine on the first or last night but do go to their tables on every other night. The tables are hosted by the senior officers Capatin, Purser(Hotel Manager), Chief Engineer and Senior Doctor and also by the other officers. There are approx 20 officers tables and the passengers assigned to these tables are there for the whole cruise.

I was surprised when I first cruise with Cunard by the lack of hosted/Officer tables.

There are hosted tables on Crystal also, and they are at both sittings, unlike on Cunard.

As a Crystal passenger I found myself at the Captains table for the whole trip for six of my ten cruises with that line

On Cunard I dined with Commodore Warner for five of my cruises, although I normally dined at first seating , on those nights I dined at late seating. I have never dined at any other hosted table

One of the things I liked about hosted tables on QE2 was that the officer who was the host would send subordinates to host on some nights. I guess some people might feel slighted, but we enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people and learn new things about QE2 and Cunard.

On the Hotel Manager's table, we also got to meet the Chief Purser and the Food & Beverage manager. A First Officer once sent the Third Officer (young, Irish, and very cute) one night and a cadette another night. She was VERY young and sweet, and we were her first guests. We felt complimented that her boss thought we were nice enough people to make us her first "solo" in the dining room.

Bobby 1119 has it correctly for Cunard. Usually the officer enjoys the duty, likes hosting and often rotates through junior staff when finding a really good table group, giving them both a treat and training. Easy way to get on a hosted table: ask for one. If you use a travel agent, tell you want on a hosted table. They'll know what to do. If you book directly/w Cunard, ask at time of payment.

Easy way to get on a hosted table: ask for one. If you use a travel agent, tell you want on a hosted table. They'll know what to do. If you book directly/w Cunard, ask at time of payment.

Really? Well I will do this and report back on my success, or lack of, after my upcoming voyage.

On our first Cunard voyage (2004 - QE2) we were seated (2nd sitting-Britannia Rest) at a table for eight which only had six passangers assigned. We found out why on the first formal night when we were joined by one of the Doctors (an Englishwoman) aboard who explained the hosted table concept. Since the QE2 had two Doctors aboard, they alternated formal nights and the male Dr (an Australian) was accompanied by his girlfriend on the nights he hosted. It was a very nice opportunity for me to learn more about Cunard, the British medical system, etc. I wish I had known that I could request a hosted table, because I would have done so for my TA on the QM2 in 2007. I may try contacting Cunard to see if it will be possible for my upcoming Panama Canal trip on the QV in January.

Archived